Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
Just wondering/hoping

I'll run it if you setup the meetup time/location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'd certainly be down to participate.... removing shipping does change the paradigm of trading in a significant way.... of course I won't be off work so will have to send a stunt double in my place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll figure out a time and place then!

Saturday is likely to be the day most people will be there, but they haven't posted a schedule of events yet. I've emailed the organizer to see if we can get one so we can pick a good time.

Any thoughts on what general time of day would be best for most people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Early afternoon should be good. Like 1 or 2 PM. Any earlier and you risk people not showing up on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds reasonable. Hopefully the organizers will reply to my schedule request so I can make sure it doesn't conflict with any high-interest panels or guest presentations.

I'm going into this pretty blind, having never gone to a game con or been in a no-ship trade, so I'm wondering how many people are likely to actually end up trading. I don't know if I should be looking at meeting in the hotel Starbucks, the lobby lounge, or somewhere in the convention area.

Luckily I'm great at making signs and staking out tables, so if we have to play any of it by ear, we'll make it work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
...but they haven't posted a schedule of events yet.
See http://pacificon.gamecon.us/reg/Events.asp for the current list, events are still being added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
See http://pacificon.gamecon.us/reg/Events.asp for the current list, events are still being added.

This might be a dumb question, but isn't that just scheduled games? I'm trying to get a schedule of panels and presentations by the guest speakers, like Mr. Gygax. I just don't want to set up a meeting at the same time something like that is going on.

Since I haven't heard back from the organizer yet about either that or a potential meeting place, I have to rely on the advice of anyone else with actual knowledge of the place.

I imagine we will be able to find a place in the convention space to meet, but don't know for sure. And I'd hate to mess up the planning and have people be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online event list is designed to include all events including seminars and special events but relies on the various departments submitting their schedules to the events scheduler; mostly it does reflect events that were submitted online. The Flea Markets, for example, have had their times set and are posted on their section of the main website but don't show up (yet) in the events schedule (and have incorrect times listed in the "Hours of Interest" section). The Saturday Flea Market is scheduled for 2pm per the Flea Market page and recent emails from the con.

Past math trades as I recall have met in the hotel areas outside of the convention areas as only attendees with badges are permitted in the convention areas. The importance of this depends of course on how many traders are just coming for the math trade and aren't buying badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Past math trades as I recall have met in the hotel areas outside of the convention areas as only attendees with badges are permitted in the convention areas. The importance of this depends of course on how many traders are just coming for the math trade and aren't buying badges.

Indeed. Some local con trades are so closely tied to/aligned with the convention (and/or its organizers) that they trades have taken place inside the badge areas. Since math trades benefit everyone to have wider participation, I strongly favor having the meeting place not require paid attendance.

I have organized a couple local convention math trades, and attended a couple others. The smallest had zero trades, while the largest had over 50 users trading. Some traders will probably make arrangements to trade outside (before) the event, and some might send proxies (and in some cases a proxy might have games for multiple traders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that makes sense.

We could certainly set up the trade in the hotel lobby. And there's a Starbucks in the hotel, so that's an option too.

What do you think of starting it early next week and having submissions open until Thursday the 25th and wishlists due by Monday the 29th.

Or is that cutting it too close for people travelling to the con to determine what they need to bring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
What do you think of starting it early next week and having submissions open until Thursday the 25th and wishlists due by Monday the 29th.

Or is that cutting it too close for people travelling to the con to determine what they need to bring?

First, a disclaimer: I almost certainly won't be able to attend, so don't put too much stock in my ideas. But I'm happy to offer general advice.

When I have organized in-person trades, I have tried to publish the results about a week before the event. That gives people a chance to arrange proxies and side-deals. Side deals are an awesome way to obtain or get rid of items that didn't get matched in the math trade. A couple weeks should be more than enough time, I would think.

It's usually good to allow at least one week for people to submit wishlists, because some people can only do it on weekends, while others can only do it on weekdays (or even specific weekdays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the voice of experience, Kevin!

If Ben is still willing to run the trade on the BGG side, then I think it would be reasonable to start it as soon as possible, with submissions due by the 21st and wishlists due on the 27th.

That's a bit less time than Kevin suggested at each step, but should be enough to accommodate the most potential traders.

The Con officially starts on Friday the 2nd, but we'll meet for the actual trading on Saturday at 1pm. That way we have an hour before the flea market officially starts. I don't have a problem being late for the flea market, so I'll be sticking around longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
If Ben cannot or does not want to run it, I will do it. My wife and I run the Kublacon trade every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
captaintobs wrote:
If Ben cannot or does not want to run it, I will do it. My wife and I run the Kublacon trade every year.

Cool, thanks!

I was thinking we'd allow anything physical, so boards, rpg books, tchotchkies, but no video game codes or non-physical gift cards. GG of course ok Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
oddbod wrote:
captaintobs wrote:

Cool, thanks!

I was thinking we'd allow anything physical, so boards, rpg books, tchotchkies, but no video game codes or non-physical gift cards. GG of course ok Thoughts?

Sounds fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
captaintobs wrote:

Cool, thanks!

I'll start it in the morning. I've got emails for 25 previous math trade participants in the area I'll send a message to to jump start the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started the trade.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23444757#23444757

Direct link to trade (you can browse without signing in first)
http://trade.abecorn.com/#/trade/57b0bdde8ba0ca003b9dcbc8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to see so few people participating. I wonder if the con just isn't that popular here, since it seems more for wargames than boards.

Crossing my fingers that it'll pick up a bit this week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
Sad to see so few people participating. I wonder if the con just isn't that popular here, since it seems more for wargames than boards.

It can be difficult to get people involved. My guess is that it's often a multi-year process to build up a good group of regular traders at a specific con.

Publicize it however you can--West guild here on BGG, SF bay area meetup groups, email from Pacificon organizers if they would be willing to do so, etc.

On the plus side, I have done really well in some very small local math trades. Avoiding shipping costs meant I could be much looser with my wants, and also meant I was willing to do trades for promos and inexpensive games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction to what I just wrote: the West *forum* here on BGG. Plus any guilds that might be appropriate, but I don't know if there are any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mb
oddbod wrote:

Ya, I think the BGG presence is pretty small. I put up a geek list for heavy games scheduling and no one has signed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captaintobs wrote:
oddbod wrote:

Ya, I think the BGG presence is pretty small. I put up a geek list for heavy games scheduling and no one has signed up.

I haven't had much luck at previous conquest/pacificon math trades before. I did post on the West forum and email a few game groups in the area.

I'll send a message to the staff at Pacificon as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be going and I'm down to do trades... I've never done a math trade before though. Looking at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otomo jon wrote:
I'll be going and I'm down to do trades... I've never done a math trade before though. Looking at it

Feel free to message me if you get hung up.

This link should help get you started
http://abecorn.wikispaces.com/QuickStart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.