Subject: Taking on the Ultimaszyna rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave E
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I have played the single automa 8 times, 2 automa 13 times a couple of games with other human’s and some games with human and automa mixed together, close to 30 games total. When I tried the hard Automa I beat him so I decided why not try Ultimaszyna. I decided to give myself the best chance possible I would go with the Rusviets. Their ability to select the same action twice in a row as well as their other abilities will give me the best shot. I chose Polonia to battle against so that they were as far away as possible. Also each faction has specific additional benefits to give them a bit of personality, Polonia’s mostly involves getting extra encounters which will play into my strategy.

My plan is to aim for stars from Mech’s, 8 workers, enlist, some combat and maybe max power. If I get a good objective I will try for that as well. I need the second tier for popularity but won’t bother trying to get to the top tier as I think that will be too difficult. I’m going to ignore the factory other than at the very end where I will use my factions ability to go from a village to attack the factory. I’m hopeful the Automa will chase around the encounters and give me some time to build up. My plan is to only allow him 1 additional star either from a victory or max power, I can’t let him get more then that or I’m done.

One thing that is not 100% clear from the rules is if you perform the faction specific move actions. The rules for Ultimaszyna state you take all valid move actions, however earlier in the rules its states the faction specific actions are only considered if the Automa is playing that faction. Logically it makes sense that you would ignore the faction specific actions in the move line otherwise you would unbalance the factions at the Ultimaszyna level. I will ignore faction specific move actions other than for Polonia.

Time to start!

I got some lucky draws to start the game, a 5 and 2 power card, objective 2 and 16 either of which may be achievable (hold 3 mines, have exactly your character, 1 mech, 1 worker and at least 5 resources on 1 territory).

Turn 1 – Produce (1 iron, 1 worker), automa card 12.
Turn 2 – Produce (1 iron, 2 workers), automa card 15.
Turn 3 – produce (1 iron, 3 workers), automa card 4. Got my first star.
Turn 4 – trade (2 oil), automa card 14. This has been a weird start the character is almost all the way across the board while his workers are still sitting near the start. I’m hoping he doesn’t move in to attack as I’m not ready yet. Note I added my star later, its missing in the pic.

Turn 5 – move, upgrade (bolster to deploy), automa card 8.
Turn 6 – Bolster (power) deploy Riverwalk mech, automa card 2.
Turn 7 – Trade 2 oil, automa card 6.
Turn 8 – Move (encounter card 6 choose to enlist a recruit for $3), upgrade (move to enlist), automa card 13.
I would say the automa cards have been coming out very favorably for me. The automa is not getting much workers or mechs and the last card he just pulled moved his worker all the way back to an encounter near his base!

Turn 9 – Produce 6 food, 2 iron, enlist, automa card 16
Turn 10 – Trade 2 iron, automa card 17.

This is the view after turn 10, Automa is finally starting to get some mech’s but is having trouble moving them. I’m feeling fairly good right now far away from Polonia.

Turn 11 – Bolster (power) deploy speed mech, automa card 10. He just got his first 2 stars, 1 for power and 1 on the switch to scheme 2. I had no chance to stop him from getting the star for maxing power, I’ll have to make sure I don’t allow him any for combat victories.

Turn 12 – Move my 2 mech’s and 6 workers to forest and my character to an encounter, encounter 15 I took 2 popularity, automa card 11.
Turn 13 – Produce 6 wood, 2 iron, enlist, automa card 1.
Turn 14 – Trade 2 oil, build mill on my mountain, automa card 13.

Turn 15 – produce 6 wood, 2 iron, enlist, automa card 17 It has actually gone fairly long without a battle but I was hoping for just a little longer so I could max my power first. I have to decide if I want to go all in or not risk my power with hopes that he draws a weak card. I can’t afford to lose all my guys and their wood or risk giving him a star so I’m going all in and will give up on getting a star from power. I used 7 power and cards 5 and 3 for a total of 15, He pulled card 12 which gave him 7 power and 2 combat cards, I flipped them over 1 at a time, 4 and then 3, total 14. I won by 1 point!!! wow that was close.

Turn 16 – Bolster (power), deploy peoples army mech, automa card 14. Another fight, certainly glad I bolstered. I need to go hard again, luckily I have another 5 power card. I want to leave myself some power in case I want to produce later. I put in 6 power, 5 power card, 3 power card and 2 power card a total of 16 (thank you peoples army). Automa pulled card 15, 7 power but no combat cards, an easy victory and another star for me.

Turn 17 – Its getting close to the end so time to start making my move. I moved the mech from my mine and dropped off a worker on the village and finished that move on the square with my character, I moved another mech and dropped off a worker, for my final move I moved my last mech to a tunnel with the village on it taking some workers with me. I want to set-up near the villages for an end game attack on the factory. I don’t use my oil for an upgrade as I need it to complete my objective which requires at least 5 resources. Objective complete, 1 more star!, automa card 19. Not the card I wanted to see, I took a risk and left my worker exposed and the Automa made me pay, taking my forest.

It looks like I might still have him if I close it out right away.

Turn 18 – Deploy (did not bolster) my last mech! 6th star that’s the end!
Now just the final count up of points to confirm the win.

The Automa had $21, they got 4x4 = $16 for stars, 9 x 3 = $27 for territories for a total of $64.

My total, $17, I got 6 x 4 = $24 for stars, 6 x 3 = $18 for territories, 8/2 x 2 = $8 (I would have got another $2 if playing a human but was limited to counting 6 of my resources on 1 territory) and finally $2 for the building bonus (adjacent to lakes) for a total of $69.

I won by $5, wow that was close. I’m surprised I won on my first attempt but I think I got lucky on a few things. If one of the battles went against me or if my objectives were more difficult it could have easily ended up a loss. He also didn’t get that many mech’s and workers out to claim much territory. Of course I didn’t play with maximum efficiency either, I didn’t need all those resources I accumulated at the end.

Overall it was lots of fun, the Automa is great I recommend it to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the report and gratz on beating Automaszyna, not many people have done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

Great, well-written and detailed Session Report!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
Thank you for the report and gratz on beating Automaszyna, not many people have done that.

Thanks Morten!

Your Automa was a big part of the reason I backed this game. Having played against the Viticulture Automa I knew this one would be top notch and give me a chance to play the game when I can't get together with friends. Even when we do get together we tend to add an Automa or 2 to the mix as we prefer how the game plays with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davece wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Thanks Morten!

Your Automa was a big part of the reason I backed this game. Having played against the Viticulture Automa I knew this one would be top notch and give me a chance to play the game when I can't get together with friends. Even when we do get together we tend to add an Automa or 2 to the mix as we prefer how the game plays with more players.

I love hearing, when my solo modes has been a factor in someone getting a game - it tells me that all the time and passion I pour into my work makes a real difference .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
davece wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Thanks Morten!

I love hearing, when my solo modes has been a factor in someone getting a game - it tells me that all the time and passion I pour into my work makes a real difference .

Morten, it's a big reason that I got the game as well. I was just telling my wife last night how great the Automa was in Scythe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, Dave!

However, it has me very concerned that I've been playing the Automa wrong. Can you explain how Anna made it all the way over to that lake in 4 turns? (1st photo) Even playing the Ultimaszyna, aren't Automa units limited to adjacent hexes when moving? That is, I know they can "teleport" an unlimited distance, but valid destination hexes are always limited to a friendly neighborhood, aren't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Great report, Dave!

However, it has me very concerned that I've been playing the Automa wrong. Can you explain how Anna made it all the way over to that lake in 4 turns? (1st photo) Even playing the Ultimaszyna, aren't Automa units limited to adjacent hexes when moving? That is, I know they can "teleport" an unlimited distance, but valid destination hexes are always limited to a friendly neighborhood, aren't they?

Yes, Automa units can only move to spaces adjacent to another Automa unit, but Ultimaszyna takes all the actions on the top row, not just the first one that is valid. This means that it can make more than one move per turn.

It baffles me that anyone is able to beat the Ultimaszyna given that rule, but what do I know .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mcmugwump wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
davece wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Thanks Morten!

Morten, it's a big reason that I got the game as well. I was just telling my wife last night how great the Automa was in Scythe!

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
dmoser22 wrote:
Great report, Dave!

Yes, Automa units can only move to spaces adjacent to another Automa unit, but Ultimaszyna takes all the actions on the top row, not just the first one that is valid. This means that it can make more than one move per turn.

I took that to mean that the Automa takes every valid Move action on the first row. Given that, the distance travelled by Anna is not the issue; what I don't get is how she can be 3 hexes from any other Polania units. Does the Automa actually take the invalid actions also? Aren't there cases where there is no valid destination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
dmoser22 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
dmoser22 wrote:
Great report, Dave!

I took that to mean that the Automa takes every valid Move action on the first row. Given that, the distance travelled by Anna is not the issue; what I don't get is how she can be 3 hexes from any other Polania units. Does the Automa actually take the invalid actions also? Aren't there cases where there is no valid destination?

If you follow the steps I included in my summary you could see how he ended up there. If I recall it worked something like this, he got an encounter as one of the first cards so moved to the encounter on his island. Next card he got a move character so he ended up moving one space forward to the lake. On a subsequent card he had an encounter so he moved forward 1 space to the factory and on the same card was a move character so he moved forward 1 more space. He wants to be as close to me as possible in this case with no fighting units out its my base he is trying to move to, the next deciding factor is closet to the factory which left 2 possible choices, the lake next to the factory and the mountain next to the factory. The final tie break is reading order, so he chooses the lake rather then the mountain.

If you are doing something wrong it is likely that you are forgetting to include your charter's neighborhood in the valid neighborhoods he can move to which in this case caused him to move forward a square a couple of times.

As I noted this was unusual, in most of my games the charters, mech's and workers are more bunched together. Part of it is due to what Morten noted, since you take all the valid move actions in Ultimaszyna you can get some different results.

In the end the next encounter card that came up teleported him back near his home base before an attack card came out so it worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davece wrote:
... it is likely that you are forgetting to include your charter's neighborhood in the valid neighborhoods he can move to which in this case caused him to move forward a square a couple of times.

Indeed, that was the part I was missing. Thanks for the explanation. The solo game just got a little bit tougher, but it sure is a blast to play!

laughmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for that the Automa was one big reason for me backing Scythe (Art Connossieur). And man, i´m happy i did cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.