Subject: Allied units not allowed in Soviet controlled territory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Paetz
United States
Shaker Heights
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Gazeteer v1.1 entry for the Soviet Union states British or French units are not allowed in Soviet controlled territory and vice-versa. I play so that this also applies to the US when they enter. And given communist paranoia and xenophobia, I also play that this constraint also applies to any Allied power, including minors that are Soviet allies.

For example, even if Finland and Turkey become Soviet Allies, they aren't allowed into Soviet territory, even to assist in defending or recapturing Leningrad or Baku.

Historically, it was the Soviets against the rest of the world, even if it meant losing. Is this a reasonable extrapolation for game play? Or would they let US, Finnish, or Turkish troops occupy parts of their territory in order to survive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
epaetz41 wrote:
The Gazeteer v1.1 entry for the Soviet Union states British or French units are not allowed in Soviet controlled territory and vice-versa. I play so that this also applies to the US when they enter. And given communist paranoia and xenophobia, I also play that this constraint also applies to any Allied power, including minors that are Soviet allies.

For example, even if Finland and Turkey become Soviet Allies, they aren't allowed into Soviet territory, even to assist in defending or recapturing Leningrad or Baku.

Historically, it was the Soviets against the rest of the world, even if it meant losing. Is this a reasonable extrapolation for game play? Or would they let US, Finnish, or Turkish troops occupy parts of their territory in order to survive?

Yes, the US should be treated the same as the Brits/French. I would allow Soviet minor allies to enter Soviet home areas though. Minor powers are less of a threat to Moscow and their units probably have Soviet "advisors" overseeing their staffs :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Paetz
United States
Shaker Heights
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Agreed and that provides some balance and reason for the Soviets to pursue the defensive diplomatic opportunity. Otherwise Turkey and Finland are relatively useless as Soviet Allies, but will often be game-winners for the Axis if they go East.

It's taken me a while to get into VIE (like most of my games), and I'm really seeing its depth in grand strategy. I think you have done well for such a fast moving game at this scale and detail.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words Eric. It means a lot. VE does have a deep subtle game underneath that takes some time to appreciate. You should try to join us at Prezcon in February. We'll be playing some of the shorter scenarios for the tournament but I'd be happy to play campaign game with anyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ron D wrote:
epaetz41 wrote:

Yes, the US should be treated the same as the Brits/French. I would allow Soviet minor allies to enter Soviet home areas though. Minor powers are less of a threat to Moscow and their units probably have Soviet "advisors" overseeing their staffs :-)

This makes complete logical sense and is how I would play it as well, but it's not explicitly mentioned in rules 1.1. I strongly suggest it be added to 1.2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.