Subject: How to integrate expansion? DOnt understand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
It says add D cards and they can be selected? What does this mean? Do I shuffle these cards in with the other generic cards or what?

Also what the heck is the power of profit??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When starting a game, you pick three item decks. This can be one of your three which means you'll leave out A, B, or C. You never pick in the base game because there's only three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I hadn't realized that "Asset" and "Skill" sets were even a thing until I got the expansions, but right there in the base game rulebook it says you have to do this. Until the expansions came along, it wasn't necessary since there were only 3 and 6 sets respectively in the base game.

Between the A,B,C,and D asset sets you have to pick only 3 to play a game with and those three will form your asset deck.

Pick 6 of the 7 themed Skill decks (grouped by the icon at the bottom of the cards) to form your game's Skill deck.

Power of Profit is just the name for the newly added Skill set deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
Yeah, I hadn't realized that "Asset" and "Skill" sets were even a thing until I got the expansions, but right there in the base game rulebook it says you have to do this. Until the expansions came along, it wasn't necessary since there were only 3 and 6 sets respectively in the base game.

Between the A,B,C,and D asset sets you have to pick only 3 to play a game with and those three will form your asset deck.

Pick 6 of the 7 themed Skill decks (grouped by the icon at the bottom of the cards) to form your game's Skill deck.

Ug, that's sounds awful. I'm just gonna shuffle all my stuff together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially thought of doing that however. The issue you'll have with that is that your decks will now be unbalanced as the expansion is a complete replacement deck of one skill type rather than a mix of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't believe I completely missed this in the rule book. I was just planning to mix everything together. Now I need to figure out how to keep all of the decks separated which does seem like a pain, especially once there are a lot of expansions released.

I wonder how this will affect games? What if I choose a poor deck that doesn't work well with a particular villain?

I wonder just how unbalanced things would be if everything just got mixed together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just keep all the decks in their sorted piles, randomly pick the 3/6 piles you're using, then roll a die for each draw.

There's a little extra fuss no matter what, but this way keeps setup/teardown simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:

Ug, that's sounds awful. I'm just gonna shuffle all my stuff together.

For the Asset Deck this would probably be ok. You might get a weird distribution of cards sometimes, but it shouldn't be to bad.

But do not do this for the skill deck. In fact as the Rules in the expansion make plain. You must have two might Skill sets, 2 Mind skill sets, and 2 Spirit skill sets. Since the new skill set is a Yellow skill set you can only replace one of the other Yellow skill sets.

If you mixed all skill sets, you would have 20 red skills, 30 yellow skills, and 20 blue skills. This is clearly unbalanced.

The Mountains Rise will add another Blue skill set. Making it 20 red, 30 yellow, and 30 blue skills.

Hopefully there will be another Adventure Pack that includes a red skill set. If you have all three expansions, then you could make a 90 card skill deck, and everything would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
If you mixed all skill sets, you would have 20 red skills, 30 yellow skills, and 20 blue skills. This is clearly unbalanced.

That seems pretty minor and trivial, to me. I don't mind sorting the cards, not that hard, but if it's going to make other people not enjoy the game then they should feel free to play the way they like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

The Mountains Rise will add another Blue skill set. Making it 20 red, 30 yellow, and 30 blue skills.

Hopefully there will be another Adventure Pack that includes a red skill set. If you have all three expansions, then you could make a 90 card skill deck, and everything would be fine.

I hope in the future they try to release three Adventure Packs (one with each color) all around the same time so they can just be thrown together. A month or two apart wouldn't be a big deal but waiting another year would be annoying for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
youperguy wrote:

That seems pretty minor and trivial, to me. I don't mind sorting the cards, not that hard, but if it's going to make other people not enjoy the game then they should feel free to play the way they like better.

Less trivial is that adding a 7th skill deck will also unbalance the ratio of successes, reducing the chances of a player being successful when testing attributes.

EDIT: Misworded. There is still a 40% probability of drawing a success, but with a larger population size when shuffling physical cards, you have more of an opportunity for the successes to "clump", potentially leaving longer periods of times when successes may or may not be drawn consecutively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Sure people should play how they like, as long as everyone is aware of the imbalance. Personally it would bug me, if I had a red based hero, and there were less red skill cards, but nobody bothered to tell me this fact.

I agree that releasing a new Adventure pack with Red skill set soon would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Less trivial is that adding a 7th skill deck will also unbalance the ratio of successes, reducing the chances of a player being successful when testing attributes.

Each skill set has 10 cards with 4 success symbols. The ratio of successes won't change if you add a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:

Why? Surely each set of 10 must have 4 success symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Each skill set has 10 cards with 4 success symbols. The ratio of successes won't change if you add a set.

Certainly the probability of drawing a success doesn't change, but that doesn't account for the result of a deck whose shuffle can potentially produce larger "chunks" of successes or non-successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
youperguy wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Certainly the probability of drawing a success doesn't change, but that doesn't account for the result of a deck whose shuffle can potentially produce larger "chunks" of successes or non-successes.

Yes, this is fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand why we should separate the skill decks, but what's the rationale behind separating the asset decks? If 3 of the 4 can be selected in any combination, why not just select 4 of the 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
I understand why we should separate the skill decks, but what's the rationale behind separating the asset decks? If 3 of the 4 can be selected in any combination, why not just select 4 of the 4?

Because you skew the distribution of cards. Some decks may have more expensive assets in the deck and this means they come also with cards allowing you to generate gold at a higher pace. The thicker the deck, the easier it is to have situations where you have markets clogged with items you can't afford, or items flooded with cheap items when you need something stronger to go for the final boss. Since there's no flush option for the markets, if you increase the number of cards in the asset deck too much, the game can suffer from these issues, and cycling through an 80-card deck can be a problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 60 card deck with 24 successes, the chance of getting at least one success in 3 cards is 79.14%.

In a 80 card deck with 32 successes, the chance of getting at least one success in 3 cards is 78.95%.

The difference exists, but it seems pretty trivial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

Because you skew the distribution of cards. Some decks may have more expensive assets in the deck and this means they come also with cards allowing you to generate gold at a higher pace. The thicker the deck, the easier it is to have situations where you have markets clogged with items you can't afford, or items flooded with cheap items when you need something stronger to go for the final boss. Since there's no flush option for the markets, if you increase the number of cards in the asset deck too much, the game can suffer from these issues, and cycling through an 80-card deck can be a problem

That's interesting. I'd love to see a statistical breakdown of the average item cost in each deck vs the average gold generation in each deck. Anyone feeling mathy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

That's interesting. I'd love to see a statistical breakdown of the average item cost in each deck vs the average gold generation in each deck. Anyone feeling mathy?

By Gold generation are we talking about "Goods"? By far the most gold generation seems to come from Adventures which have nothing to do with the Asset decks really. The only gold generation in the asset decks are Goods, netting 2 or 3 gold apiece, which is the same as most Combat Adventures. So I don't see much validity in the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

By Gold generation are we talking about "Goods"? By far the most gold generation seems to come from Adventures which have nothing to do with the Asset decks really. The only gold generation in the asset decks are Goods, netting 2 or 3 gold apiece, which is the same as most Combat Adventures. So I don't see much validity in the argument.

Additionally, several adventures tell you to dig through the asset deck until you reveal a good, etc, so mechanisms exist for them to still come into play.

One thing I adored about 2e Runebound (one of the few) were the huge stacks of items, and the unexpected variety they introduced to each session. Perhaps if this were a eurogame I'd be more concerned about balance, but I play Runebound as an adventure (winning isn't really important).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Additionally, several adventures tell you to dig through the asset deck until you reveal a good, etc, so mechanisms exist for them to still come into play.

One thing I adored about 2e Runebound (one of the few) were the huge stacks of items, and the unexpected variety they introduced to each session. Perhaps if this were a eurogame I'd be more concerned about balance, but I play Runebound as an adventure (winning isn't really important).

Also My guess would be that if they are giving you free choice to pick any 3 sets to use in a game session, then all the sets are balanced already, gold generation-and-cost-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

Also My guess would be that if they are giving you free choice to pick any 3 sets to use in a game session, then all the sets are balanced already, gold generation-and-cost-wise.

But the asset deck isn't a primary generator of income anyway (secondary at best, through Goods, right?). It seems irrelevant whether Goods came out at the same frequency or not, unless I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

But the asset deck isn't a primary generator of income anyway (secondary at best, through Goods, right?). It seems irrelevant whether Goods came out at the same frequency or not, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah I agree. But the extremely symmetrical design of this game seems to suggest that each additional asset pack will be balanced either way. For instance, the same amount of high, mid, and low cost cards as all the other sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.