Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
The guy with the ideas.
badge
Look at my spooky glowing eyes!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

If you could design your own Vampire enemy for the game, what would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're not talking about an already existing fictional character, a lot of my inspiration would probably draw from Vampire: The Masquerade. Not one specific vampire, probably more the factions. So like designing 3 or 4 different types of gangrels, a cabal of Toreadors, Giovannis complete with machine guns, etc.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like subverting the traditional vampire idea would be interesting.

Going in to other mythologies would be cool such as:

The vampire who rises from an actual dead corpse, not one killed be a vampire
Eastern vampires
Certain tribal culture vampires (there is some INTERESTING stuff there)
Things like El Chupacabra

Stuff like that. Looking less in to the modernized, western ideals and more in to worldwide iterations of the creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The guy with the ideas.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

- Ghouls - Scavengers of Vampire prey. Appearance: Thin and emaciated jackal or rat looking humanoid creature. Cowardly, will avoid Hunters until they enter combat with a Vampire. Poisonous bite.

- Seducer - Appearance: A Vampire with attractive feminine features. Wings folded under the arms. Vampire uses combination of hypnotic gaze and pheromones to cause penalties to Hunters fighting her as well as prevent them from moving away from her.

- Lasher - Vampire that can attack from a distance using an elongated barbed tongue. Appearance: A Vampire with a long barbed tongue.

- Leaper - Vampire that crawls on all four limbs with long claws on front limbs. Leaps like toad at Hunters within eyesight. Leaper will automatically move to nearest Hunter in line of sight. Leap attack causes Hunter to be unable to move or attack for one turn. Vampire attacks normally after leap attack.

- Constrictor - Amphibious Vampire that attack from sources of water. Appearance: A combination of Bat and Snake-like Lamprey features. The Vampire wraps tail around Hunter. Hunters who are attacked are unable to move until the Vampire is killed.

- Alpha Guardian - Possibly an Elder. A monstrous large Guardian. All Guardians near Alpha will attack the same Hunter and receive a bonus to their attacks as long as the Alpha lives. The Alpha may also be able to spawn Guardians.

- Swarmlings or Hordlings - A swarm of small gremlin-like Vampires. They are Vampire children. They attack in a group like a school of piranha. Appearance: 3 to 5 small Vampires climbing over each other. Swarmlings start with high health and has their attack strength equal to their health. As Hunter damages them their strength goes down as well to reflect the idea that the Hunter is killing individual Swarmlings of the group. Ex. 2 Health equals 2 Strength.

- Parasite - Short Vampire with Leech-like features. Attaches to target Hunter and Drains Health each turn and/or manipulates Hunter's movements each turn until it is killed. It will move wherever Hunter moves until killed.

- Glutton - Appearance: A large obese Vampire. A vampire that has overindulged in blood and became bloated like a ripe tick. Vampire has average attack strength but a high level of health. Upon death it explodes and sprays corrosive digestive acid to everyone nearby causing damage.

- Praetorian - Appearance: A Vampire covered in hardened bone growths and plates. Vampire has additional armor.

- Berserker - A Vampire that starts with average or low strength but becomes enraged and gains strength as it is damaged. Appearance: An enraged, feral Vampire.

- Combuster - A Vampire that explodes upon death damaging everyone near it. Appearance: A vampire covered in cracks that are emitting flames.

- Plague Bearer - A Vampire that automatically damages all Hunters near it each turn with its noxious fumes. Appearance: An infested Vampire surrounded by vermin and insects.

- Stalker - A Vampire with camouflage abilities. Appearance: A thin Vampire with reptilian and bat features. When it appears, it always appears next to a Hunter and attacks first. Camouflage may also induce penalties to hit from non-splash weaponry.

- Slasher - Appearance: A lean Vampire with blade-like bone protrusions and claws. The Vampire has a high movement. It will move toward closest Hunter and after it attacks it will move onward to the next Hunter. The Vampire uses hit and run tactics.

- Shrieker - A Vampire that emits a loud shriek as its first attack. The shriek attack causes noise and induces penalties to all nearby Hunters for a turn due to disorientation from sound. The shriek may also cause nearby Vampires to move toward the Shrieker. During daytime it is a sensitive sleeper. The Vampire will immediately awaken whenever a Hunter moves near it and will emit a shriek which will awaken nearby Vampires. Appearance: Small or missing eyes with large ears and nose.

- The Mother or Queen: An Elder. Large female vampire. May spawn Warriors near her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
NecroNuke9 wrote:

If you could design your own Vampire enemy for the game, what would it be?

I wouldn't even call it "design" since vampires already exist in folklore all round the world.

There's the incorporeal ones that:
a) could attack corporeal beings (i.e. ekimmu, civateto & etc.)
b) causes victims to fall asleep and attack them in their sleep (i.e. Kanashibari, moroi & etc.)
c) could possess a proxy human to act as a vessel to harvest blood from a victim, thereby getting both their blood (i.e. Hantu Pelesit, wraiths & etc.)

Then, the corporeal ones that:
a) eat flesh AND drink blood (i.e. wendigo, ghast & etc.)
b) absorb spiritual energy instead of drinking blood (psychic vampires, banana spirit & etc.)
c) walks around like a normal human in the day and then turn into a vampire at night (i.e. Hantu Penanggal, Nekomata)

In fact, whatever we could think of, has already been covered by thousands of years' worth of folklore handed down by our ancestors across the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martinez Ortega
Spain
Jaen
Jaen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a vampire like in the TV series (and books) "The Strain", of Guillermo del Toro?? The worms, the big tongue to drain blood... Perhaps an ancient one too, like The Master...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The guy with the ideas.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With the Gugadeth Add-On I got a version of the Elder Guardian I was asking for. Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The guy with the ideas.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With the Varacolaci Add-On I got a version of the Lasher I was asking for. That's another Vampire off my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello there
msg tools
Damaor wrote:
What about a vampire like in the TV series (and books) "The Strain", of Guillermo del Toro?? The worms, the big tongue to drain blood... Perhaps an ancient one too, like The Master...

they did this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Alexandru Barbu
Romania
Bucuresti
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NecroNuke9 wrote:

With the Varacolaci Add-On I got a version of the Lasher I was asking for. That's another Vampire off my wishlist.

The name is misspelled "Varacolaci" instead of "Varcolac" which is closer to the correct Romanian term "vârcolac" http://en.bab.la/dictionary/romanian-english/v%C3%A2rcolac.

Despite a pointless debate against my natural correction of the used term "varacolaci" the creators so far seem reluctant to correct the typos hiding defensively behind the similar misspelling of some web-culture vampire sites. The misspelling is further compounded by the female iteration "varacolaca" and the plural form used for individual mini varacolac-i.

Maybe the entire game should be renamed Vamapires Hounters?

It's funny that this expansion claims to add some Romanian rooted flavor lore to the vampire theme.

I also find ironic that at backers request legs were added to a miniature, price for an add-on was reduced and fonts to cards were changed almost immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Alexandru Barbu
Romania
Bucuresti
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual lore states that "vârcolac" was a blood thirsty wolf-like supernatural creature more akin to the werewolf mythos, able to influence the Moon and the Sun cycles. No lasher, no chameleonic tongues, no female variant, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.