Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hung-Che Lin
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone
I am new to this game and still reading the rulebook. I have couple questions regarding measurement and shooting.

1. Does this game allow pre-measurement?
2. For shooting rules. It states “Before” declaring a shoot action, a figure should check that its target is both in range and in line-of-sight.

Does this mean I "can pre-measure" my target and then if it's in range and LOS, I can then declare "shooting" action. Or I have to declare target first, and then measure the distance and check los. If it's not in range and LOS..it's a MISS.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing in the rules prohibits measuring whatever you like whenever you like.

Forcing players to guess ranges doesn't add anything good to the game. I don't know anyone who plays that way and I wouldn't recommend that you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Roy wrote:

Forcing players to guess ranges doesn't add anything good to the game. I don't know anyone who plays that way and I wouldn't recommend that you do.

On that note, I have always been of the same opinion. But for very specific games I can see how it might actually enhance the experience. I started looking into Infinity (curse me) and given that different weapons have different modifiers based on range, it does add a bit of uncertainty / risk taking. That's kinda cool (I think - because I have yet to play it).

As far as Frostgrave is concerned though, I totally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Warhammer Fantasy Battle gave up the restrictions on pre-measuring... it's just not fun.

Osprey's Horizon Wars: Science-Fiction Combined-Arms Wargaming has an even better take on the whole issue. Choice. You and your opponent agree at the beginning of the match whether or not to restrict measuring, but the game is supposed to be played with pre-measuring (due to laser sights, range finders etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hung-Che Lin
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.