Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that some people always plays with the same heroes, because some abillities "sucks" and they don't choose those heroes. If you don't like some heroes I would be glad to to take them joke (or maybe not)

Me and my girlfriend always give hero card face down to table and blind choose 3 heroes. So it is always challenge to play, not knowing which heroes you will get. And we allready played with all 14 hero (Core box and BtG) not just the favorite ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The thing is, some heroes are clearly better than others. Some heroes are great, most heroes are good and some are absolutely terrible.

I always give this example: Morgan vs Diva. He needs to put 3 specific items just to be identical to her. Except also seriously vulnerable to amnesia.

But if you're limiting yourself to the 12 basic plus the BtG brothers, it's not that bad since you don't really have any of the really awful ones. They are all from expansions. So I don't think if someone picks the same heroes it's because others "suck" as much as they just like playing a certain style.

However... There are situations that can occur where the game is pretty much set on the pick alone if you're going completely blind.

If a person has Seth and Spike on the same team he has a huge advantage over everyone else to the point that Spike is virtually unstoppable.

Heck, if he has Spike & Wisp & Seth then it's flat out game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,
but now we will get, all extra buy heroes from 1st campaign, all from inferno, pets and Masmorra, so that will be about 100 heroes. And we think about to play the same way as now. Beacause the best challenge of the game is to play the way you don't preffer and win. And of course, choosing which 3 of 100 hero you will play take to much time.

But people play the way they like. It was just kindly suggestion what to do, to play with all heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But in campaign, if you have Bloodthirst, and plus 3 dice ring, and Cleave II (which with AXE target all close enemies) all CRIT are extra 2 hit, plus shield with 3 rerols. well hero ability doesn't matter so much. You can end quest in 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
tadej1986 wrote:
Yes,
but now we will get, all extra buy heroes from 1st campaign, all from inferno, pets and Masmorra, so that will be about 100 heroes. And we think about to play the same way as now. Beacause the best challenge of the game is to play the way you don't preffer and win. And of course, choosing which 3 of 100 hero you will play take to much time.

But people play the way they like. It was just kindly suggestion what to do, to play with all heroes.

I started a thread about this a short while back to ask the very question of asking people how do they pick heroes when you have so many heroes with expansions.

And yeah, Masmora and Inferno are going to almost double it.

What we eventually decided to do in our group is simply raise up the drafting. Instead of everyone getting 3 heroes and passing 1, we upped it to 6 heroes and passing 2. When we get the others, we might boost it to 9 and 3.

That is how you're likely to end up with new things every game while still being slightly better than just randomly picking.

Trust me, if you look at some of the expansion heroes you'll quickly understand how bad some of these heroes are.

tadej1986 wrote:
But in campaign, if you have Bloodthirst, and plus 3 dice ring, and Cleave II (which with AXE target all close enemies) all CRIT are extra 2 hit, plus shield with 3 rerols. well hero ability doesn't matter so much. You can end quest in 10 minutes.

First, in Morgan's case, that'll still make you a character with 1 life and barely any defense. Good luck with that. Just trying to make sure you understand how terrible some of these heroes are.

Either way, that still means nothing. Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with the game?

Even if you get this super buildup for a single character, heck for all 3 characters, you'll still lose the game if, for example, another player has a decently beefed up Spike or Wisp will still beat you every time to the PvE quests.

Assuming you have a super beefed up character, you still need to go across the board, fight monsters (and other players) and take your time occasionally need to rest to un-exhaust weapons (your buildup above has only 1 attack...), while Spike and Wisp can just run to the objective without stopping. Spike also kills the monsters and gains treasures while also making it a terrible idea to attack him when he defends.

You'll be physically unable to catch up to him as he rushes all the way to the final boss and beat you to him. Except the final mission where Wisp has an edge over Spike (mostly due to Dr.Spider)

In the regular game, Seth is present. Expansions added Heartless and a couple of others who might have a shot, but if you go completely blind on selection, you're not likely to get any (or worse, the Spike player will have them).

Just to be clear, I'm just taking Spike as the obvious example here. Of course when you're picking blindly then odds are Spike isn't in the game at all. But there are other problematic situations or clearly issues of imbalance.

It's kind of like this, the characters abilities are sort of like an extra fifth item. You'll agree that someone getting a 3rd level item and someone getting 4th level items, the odds are in the 4th level item guy - right?

Now imagine that someone is getting a 5th level item (Sonja, Heartless, Red Faceless, Bob etc) and someone is getting an even worse starting item (Morgan, Pigsy, Black Newt etc)

But bottom line? It's a game. It's meant to be fun.
If you're having fun, that's all it matters.

I'm just trying to give you a friendly advice here - if you do manage to get all the expansion heroes... The blindly picking might not be so fun anymore.

But if it works for you? Stick with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use the Advanced Drafting Heroes option that is in the rules?

Quote:

ADVANCED: DRAFTING HEROES
Once players are more familiarized with the game and each Hero’s capabilities, they may want to pick their Heroes in a more structured fashion. If all players agree, they can choose their Heroes at the start of a campaign by using the drafting method. Shuffle all the Hero cards and divide them among the players as equally as possible (it’s not a problem if a player gets one more card than another). Each player browses his Hero cards in secret and picks one Hero for his Guild, placing it face down in front of him. All players then pass the remaining cards to the player to his left. From the cards they now received, each player picks another Hero for his Guild and places it face down in front of him. The remaining cards are passed to the left one last time and the players select their last Hero. Any remaining Hero cards are removed from the game and returned to the box.

Yes you might get preferences but most likely you will not get all your most wanted heroes in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:
Yes,

I started a thread about this a short while back to ask the very question of asking people how do they pick heroes when you have so many heroes with expansions.

And yeah, Masmora and Inferno are going to almost double it.

What we eventually decided to do in our group is simply raise up the drafting. Instead of everyone getting 3 heroes and passing 1, we upped it to 6 heroes and passing 2. When we get the others, we might boost it to 9 and 3.

That is how you're likely to end up with new things every game while still being slightly better than just randomly picking.

Trust me, if you look at some of the expansion heroes you'll quickly understand how bad some of these heroes are.

tadej1986 wrote:

First, in Morgan's case, that'll still make you a character with 1 life and barely any defense. Good luck with that. Just trying to make sure you understand how terrible some of these heroes are.

Either way, that still means nothing. Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with the game?

Even if you get this super buildup for a single character, heck for all 3 characters, you'll still lose the game if, for example, another player has a decently beefed up Spike or Wisp will still beat you every time to the PvE quests.

Assuming you have a super beefed up character, you still need to go across the board, fight monsters (and other players) and take your time occasionally need to rest to un-exhaust weapons (your buildup above has only 1 attack...), while Spike and Wisp can just run to the objective without stopping. Spike also kills the monsters and gains treasures while also making it a terrible idea to attack him when he defends.

You'll be physically unable to catch up to him as he rushes all the way to the final boss and beat you to him. Except the final mission where Wisp has an edge over Spike (mostly due to Dr.Spider)

In the regular game, Seth is present. Expansions added Heartless and a couple of others who might have a shot, but if you go completely blind on selection, you're not likely to get any (or worse, the Spike player will have them).

Just to be clear, I'm just taking Spike as the obvious example here. Of course when you're picking blindly then odds are Spike isn't in the game at all. But there are other problematic situations or clearly issues of imbalance.

It's kind of like this, the characters abilities are sort of like an extra fifth item. You'll agree that someone getting a 3rd level item and someone getting 4th level items, the odds are in the 4th level item guy - right?

Now imagine that someone is getting a 5th level item (Sonja, Heartless, Red Faceless, Bob etc) and someone is getting an even worse starting item (Morgan, Pigsy, Black Newt etc)

But bottom line? It's a game. It's meant to be fun.
If you're having fun, that's all it matters.

I'm just trying to give you a friendly advice here - if you do manage to get all the expansion heroes... The blindly picking might not be so fun anymore.

But if it works for you? Stick with it.

Maybe this was bad example, but it could happen, we played, I dont know which quest with sisters, 3x3 plate without center tile, spearmen and hammermen.

I look the way, that we play a lot, but her parents don't, so there is to big advantage just to choose best characters, because they play with us in 5% time max, and don't know which hero is best for them.

I maybe really don't know for GUILDMASTER heroes if they are good or bad. And with 100 heroes it might be diferent to choose. We will see.

Everybody play the way they like, it was just suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
tadej1986 wrote:

I maybe really don't know for GUILDMASTER heroes if they are good or bad. And with 100 heroes it might be diferent to choose. We will see.

Everybody play the way they like, it was just suggestion.

Of course, as I said, it's all about having fun. If people have a good time, you've done your job properly.

If you're not familiar with the guildmaster heroes, you can look them all up on AQ website:
http://arcadiaquest.com/en/promo-heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I used to use the advanced drafting method, as a result some heroes never saw the table, I have tried 2 different ways of abounding it:

First option: I posted a variant in the variant forum in which instead of drafting we use a point system, you define an amount of points (1 - 5) before starting and then just pick in order from the table, if you restrict the point total players are forced to choose either 3 average heroes or 1 good, one bad and one average...

I have playtestested it in 2 campaigns and it works very well.

Second option: some heroes like Morgan were still never picked with the point system and I like the minis, I don't like messing with the rules and the game balance so I just picked the abilities (and stats) of heroes I don't own (add ons, KS exclusives and one of the alternate abilities that didn't win for prince Aaron during the KS and created a second version of the hero card that uses that.

For example, my Morgan now is really tomrik, Bowie is kanga and so on... I posted the new character cards in variants as well in case others want to benefit from them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
If you want to rotate heroes and want to give "everyone a chance", wouldn't it be easier to play a campaign, then take the 12 heroes you used out and next time draft from the rest of them? That way no 2 campaigns are using the same characters?

As for switching abilities... Yeah... As I said, Morgan is an absolute turd. We did the exact same thing. We changed Morgan into Bob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.