United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the broken token organiser for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game (found here) works for The Long Night? I know there is some differences in components but not sure if it will still work. I'm sure Broken Token will come out with one designed for it, but I'm impatient.

P.S: When I get my pre-ordered copy I will try it in my organiser and can let people know myself, just ideally would like to know ahead of time.

Edit: Title change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Broken Token Organiser
I emailed BT about this very questions and this is the answer:

"Greetings Gamer!!!​​​​
Sadly no. Two re asons, first it is actually a stand alone game as well as an expansion and more importantly there are just physically too many pieces.
Have a Game Filled Day
The Broken Token Family
Customer Support - Aminda"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Broken Token Organiser
tomaisin wrote:
I emailed BT about this very questions and this is the answer:

"Greetings Gamer!!!​​​​
Sadly no. Two re asons, first it is actually a stand alone game as well as an expansion and more importantly there are just physically too many pieces.
Have a Game Filled Day
The Broken Token Family
Customer Support - Aminda"

Thanks for this!

I've just been comparing components and came to the same conclusion. In The Long Night there is:

2 less main objectives
5 less exiled objectives
10 less survivor cards
10 less zombie tokens

but

1 more betrayal objective
2 more crisis cards
10 more crossroad cards
29 more standees
40 more plastic stands
3 more location cards

as well as the 12 despair tokens, 12 advancement tokens, 10 improvement tokens, 20 Raxxon item cards, 10 improvement cards, 12 Raxxon experiment cards and 6 Raxxon pill side effect cards.

So yeah it would probably be quite a tight squeeze!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
???

There is actually about 20 less crossroad cards in The Long Night compared to the original/base game. Also Raxxon adds 20 more location cards, the pill effect cards and the containment cards which you didn't mention. Also, aside from 3 new locations being added, all locations are now on nice, thick board similar to the main colony board. These are much nicer but also noticeably take up more space.

As already stated, I don't see any real way to literally combine everything in both games into one box. You are looking at tons of standees (which arguably you will want to keep in the stands), hundreds of cards (would you be keeping all location cards from both sets?), dice, tokens, boards, etc.

I just don't see any real way of keeping everything in 1 box. You are going to need to mix and match, pick and chose what you want and keep the extras in a second box anyway.

Personally, so far my box is jam packed and I haven't even added in the original survivors yet. I've mixed the main/secret/exile object cards, some of the crossroad cards to ensure more of them trigger (ie. added a lot of the general "in the colony" or "if you move/search" cards) and I've mixed SOME of the zombies for more art variety. I've also kept most of the original dice and tokens in the main box along with all original location cards.

Honestly, The Long Night is designed to be more modular and feels like they are trying to encourage less "dumping both boxes together" and more mixing and matching to create your own experience. For example, mixing all crossroad cards together would seem to reduce how many trigger in any given game. I'm trying to mix a crossroads deck that triggers cards closer to 40 or 50% of the time. I will likely eventually mix all survivors into one box and then keep the more modular content (bandits, raxxon stuff, etc) in a second box and only pack it if/when needed to save space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another important difference in the components is that all of the locations are nice solid cardboard instead of the flimsy cards of the past. The only downside of this is that they do take up a bit more room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
???

There is actually about 20 less crossroad cards in The Long Night compared to the original/base game. Also Raxxon adds 20 more location cards, the pill effect cards and the containment cards which you didn't mention. Also, aside from 3 new locations being added, all locations are now on nice, thick board similar to the main colony board. These are much nicer but also noticeably take up more space.

As already stated, I don't see any real way to literally combine everything in both games into one box. You are looking at tons of standees (which arguably you will want to keep in the stands), hundreds of cards (would you be keeping all location cards from both sets?), dice, tokens, boards, etc.

I just don't see any real way of keeping everything in 1 box. You are going to need to mix and match, pick and chose what you want and keep the extras in a second box anyway.

Personally, so far my box is jam packed and I haven't even added in the original survivors yet. I've mixed the main/secret/exile object cards, some of the crossroad cards to ensure more of them trigger (ie. added a lot of the general "in the colony" or "if you move/search" cards) and I've mixed SOME of the zombies for more art variety. I've also kept most of the original dice and tokens in the main box along with all original location cards.

Honestly, The Long Night is designed to be more modular and feels like they are trying to encourage less "dumping both boxes together" and more mixing and matching to create your own experience. For example, mixing all crossroad cards together would seem to reduce how many trigger in any given game. I'm trying to mix a crossroads deck that triggers cards closer to 40 or 50% of the time. I will likely eventually mix all survivors into one box and then keep the more modular content (bandits, raxxon stuff, etc) in a second box and only pack it if/when needed to save space.

Hi Ryan.

I'm not sure you read my post properly. At no point have I said I want to combine the games - thats just idiotic. I want to know if the existing Broken Token organiser (designed for Dead of Winter) will work for Dead of Winter The Long Night. The reason I did the component comparison was to see if overall there was the same amount of stuff - just in different quantities. If that was the case then I could safely assume it would work.

I used the component count taken from the rule books downloaded from the Plaid Hat website; Crossroad cards includes the NSFW ones. All the Raxxon cards are mentioned in a sentence at the bottom (I kept the brand new stuff not featured in the original box separate as obviously it is extra...).

Peter wrote:
as well as the 12 despair tokens, 12 advancement tokens, 10 improvement tokens, 20 Raxxon item cards, 10 improvement cards, 12 Raxxon experiment cards and 6 Raxxon pill side effect cards.

While I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question, please make sure you read the whole question before answering it.

I have been a supporter of Dead of Winter since day 1 and am quite active on these forums so I do know what I'm talking about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
Another important difference in the components is that all of the locations are nice solid cardboard instead of the flimsy cards of the past. The only downside of this is that they do take up a bit more room.

Yeah, even if I could get all the tokens and cards to fit into the organiser (which I can't as there is more variety) then I think the thickness of the new boards would stop the box closing properly.

Ah well, I'll have to wait until the release an official one - baggies for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, cool. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
Ah, cool. My bad.

No worries : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even after I removed the excess cardboard and organized the tokens and standees in their own baggies and little containers I got at walmart, it is a veeeery tight squeeze. But I'm good at Tetris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro K
msg tools
I recently obtained a copy of The Long Night and was also considering buying a second Broken Token organizer. However, the strategy I was considering to pursue is to combine only the common elements into the base game box and keep the special expansion elements in the expansion box.

From what I can tell, I should be able to combine named survivors, regular zombies, regular zombie tokens, food tokens, starvation tokens, wound/frostbite tokens, the first player token, and the morale and round tokens into the base game. It also looks like there is enough space to combine most, if not all, of the additional standee bases into the base game box. Everything else would go into the expansion box.

Into the expansion box, I would place the new special Raxxon zombie standees in the section marked for zombies and put the bandit standees in the section normally marked for the named survivor standees. I would also place all the cards of the expansion in their expected places, however, I would dual-purpose the zombie and survivor standee sections to also hold the additional Raxxon and improvement cards. Either or both these sections, when utilitized in tandem, I am guessing should be sufficiently deep to hold the extra cards and standees without exceeding the rim. It will look somewhat messy, but it should suffice without being too unruly.

As for the new, thicker location boards, there's nothing that can be done for those. They are going to prevent the box from closing all the way by roughly 1/2 inch. Probably the best one could do (I just tried this, quickly, and was able to arrange them quite nicely in the old box) is put the normal locations in the base box (replace the old thinner locations with the new ones, cause the new ones are better, anyway) and put the new special locations (Raxxon, Bandit Hideout, and Graveyard) in the expansion box. Trying this, I was able to close the base box with only a bit less than 1/4 inch remaining. Not great but not terrible, in my opinion.

The downside of this arrangement is that, while only one box is needed for the base game, both boxes will be needed for playing the expansion. To be honest, will it is not the most convenient arrangement, I think I can live with carrying two boxes.

I think I just convinced myself to buy a second Boken Token organizer...haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Broke Toke have made a few total replacement boxes all made of wood for certain games, I wonder if this might get that treatment.

I am definitely not going to be buying a second BT organizer for my set since i feel like I've wasted all that money on the first one. Ideally I want to store all the combined decks together, including the new/old location combinations.I am wondering if taking out all the dividers and making my own thin cards ones might give me a bit more space to work with.

I think keeping expansion stuff in the second box is probably the best way, but I don't include the new characters in that.

Worth noting there's a few other options for organizers that might work better for the Long Night.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/236298817/dead-of-winter-box...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/250810913/dead-of-winter-compat...

I think the first one might serve well as a replacement for the base game + extra cards and tokens. Looks like the standee containers are bigger than the BT ones so maybe fit the new survivors in. You can definitely get the new token types in there. then take out the dividers, throw away the old Fuel, Junk and 1 Food cards from the location decks and hope you have the room to squeeze everything in.

What will really help is when they get the app sorted you can archive the crossroad cards and have enough room then for all the base stuff.

Re-purpose the original broken token organizer for the expansion modules box and I think this could work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why you feel like you've wasted your money, unless you bought it before the expansion was released and now want to combine them.

Personally I will be keeping the two games seperate, so I would love another one in the style of the original organiser, it works perfectly for me. I'm not keen on having a big box (like the Pandemic of Firefly ones) as I prefer how the actual game boxes look on my shelf, but that's personal choice I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Exactly That. The organiser was expensive and not fit for purpose now.

I don't want to be messing around making up decks every time I play, and definitely want to be combining characters, crossroads, crisis,objectives, secret objectives,and using newer balanced locations. So I do feel like the broken token organiser is a bit useless and a waste.

TLN is after all an expansion, I don't want 2 versions of one game I want a core set of stuff and then the pluggable modules.

I'm not sure there's a way to achieve that but it's what my aim is at the minute.

I agree about the big wooden box thingy, I don't really want that. Would rather use the 2 boxes somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not a waste of money to me. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I love the folks at BT. They greet me well when I come by to pick up a product.

Their insert was not designed to hold TLN. I kept both boxes, and I put the most widely used cards and optimized location decks in the insert box. All zombies and bandits in the other.

I removed the redundant stuff, and set them aside for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have nothing against BT at all, have a fair few of their organizers, I was just having trouble working out how to divide the game how I wanted to and still keep the organizer.

I may have come up with a way though, I've had to get rid of the wooden dividers for cards so working on making my own card ones for this at the minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro K
msg tools
I can understand the feeling that the BT organizer is too expensive. However, having said that, I was able to successfully implement the organization I outlined above at least for combining common elements into the base box (it closes with about 1/4 inch remaining due to the thickness of the new location boards). The remaining expansion components are parceled out exactly as expected and will all fit nicely in the second BT organizer I've ordered.

I suspect BT will come out with an organizer specifically for The Long Night. But, I just didn't feel like waiting, and I saw a way to organize it to within reasonable satisfaction. Of course, since I have done it this way, which is good enough for my purposes, I will not be buying the specific organizer for The Long Night.

ADDENDUM: I actually did buy my first organizer before the expansion, but I don't feel like I wasted my money. Not going to say it isn't annoying that I can't get it all in one box, but I think I'll live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shirokatsu wrote:
I will not be buying the specific organizer for The Long Night.

From who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro K
msg tools
SDSUChemTA wrote:
shirokatsu wrote:
I will not be buying the specific organizer for The Long Night.

From who?

From BT, should they finally release one. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro K
msg tools
Just wanted to provide an update: I received the second BT organizer and was able to organize everything exactly as I had written. Everything fit as expected, with the exception that the original box is bulked by about 1/4 inch (the expansion box closes just fine). One deviation, since I was able to fit all the standee bases into the original box, I decided to slip the Raxxon, Improvements, and Mature Crossroads cards into the compartment that would normally contain the standee bases in the expansion box (I did use some snack bags to help keep the Raxxon and Improvements cards separate).

So, bottom line, using two of the current BT organizers works, but it does mean having two boxes when playing the expansion, at least the way I organized everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shirokatsu wrote:
Just wanted to provide an update: I received the second BT organizer and was able to organize everything exactly as I had written. Everything fit as expected, with the exception that the original box is bulked by about 1/4 inch (the expansion box closes just fine). One deviation, since I was able to fit all the standee bases into the original box, I decided to slip the Raxxon, Improvements, and Mature Crossroads cards into the compartment that would normally contain the standee bases in the expansion box (I did use some snack bags to help keep the Raxxon and Improvements cards separate).

So, bottom line, using two of the current BT organizers works, but it does mean having two boxes when playing the expansion, at least the way I organized everything.

Thanks! Are your cards sleeved? I would love to see this. Could you take a few pictures?

My group is going to be playing this weekend, and I've got the original - nice and neat in it's B.T. organizer. By contrast, I've got TLN as a literal bomb in it's own box - components everywhere, and it barely fits with the cardboard insert after I sleeved all the cards. I am actually dreading mixing the two together. lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have combined the two together in one box, just the plug ins in a separate one, using 1 BT organizer. I'm just putting a thread together now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro K
msg tools
mrsuitcase wrote:

Thanks! Are your cards sleeved? I would love to see this. Could you take a few pictures?

My group is going to be playing this weekend, and I've got the original - nice and neat in it's B.T. organizer. By contrast, I've got TLN as a literal bomb in it's own box - components everywhere, and it barely fits with the cardboard insert after I sleeved all the cards. I am actually dreading mixing the two together. lol.

The cards are not sleeved. I thought about doing that but figured I've spent enough extra money already that I would just stop where I am. However, I do have some pictures now, since you asked for pictures demonstrating the organization.

First an overhead shot of both games just to show that I do indeed have both.

This next shot shows the games edge on so you can see how much bulking of the box happens. As you can see, there is some bulking of both boxes, but not a significant amount, in my opinion, such to be a major concern.

In this next shot, I show both boxes with the various components placed into each box visible. As I mention in my organization description, I put the new basic location cards in the box of the original game and the cards for the expansion locations in the expansion box. Also, you can see the bagged cards (upper right hand corner) located in the standee base compartment. These are the Raxxon, Improvements, and Mature Crossroads cards.

This final shot shows everything packaged into their respective boxes with the top off. As I said, everything fits quite nicely and there is minimal bulking of the boxes. But, this does mean I have to pull out two boxes whenever I want to play the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.