Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Night Fighters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Walter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello All,
Being new to ECA The Dambuster Raid I'm still in the process of learning the rules, and would appreciate some clarification on how to treat nightfighters on the Target map. I've searched the forum but have been unable to find a definitive answer to my question, which I can best illustrate as follows:

Say the following play evolves:

Attack Turn 1, nightfighter check.
Step 1: Nightfighter check confirms sighting.
Step 2: Result is nightfighter 'nearby'

Then, when performing the nightfighter check in Turn 2 do you:

A. Perform Step 1 again to check for a second fighter, then perform Step 2 for the 'Nearby' fighter from Turn 1, then perform Step 2 for the fighter from Turn 2 (assuming the fighter from Turn 1 does not Attack)? Potentially this could result in multiple "Nearby' fighters accumulating on subsequent turns.

or:

B. Go directly to Step 2 for the 'Nearby' fighter from Turn 1, and only perform Step 1 again on subsequent turns when there is no fighter with a 'Nearby' status on the Target map?

I hopefully I've made my question clear from the above!

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Regards,

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ray!

See the clarification text beside the "Nightfighter - Nearby" rule on page 16.

To summarize: only 1 Nightfighter Nearby token is required, regardless of how many times you get "Nearby" as a result. (And yes, you go through the 'Nightfighter Attacks?' procedure each turn in full. A "Nearby" marker will affect your roll but receiving another Nearby result in effect keeps the situation the same.)

Enjoy your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Walter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Adam,
I'd missed that clarification note on page 16, and your summary makes the process clear.

Cheers!

Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
I can't improve on Crazy Adam's explanation, except to say a word or two about the rationale.

A "Nightfighter Nearby" result may be erroneous. It's dark, after all, and the situation is tense. While the pilot and bomb aimer are focused on the dam, as is the front gunner, the rest of the crew are looking up at the sky. They're expecting the worst. The Lancasters are flying on the deck, and nightfighters don't expect that, so even if one shows up, it will do so far above the dam because they have no inkling of the unusual tactics Bomber Command is testing on their dams.

Thus, a Nightfighter Nearby result may mean that a crewman saw something, or thought he saw something. It could mean there really is a deadly nightfighter up there, and maybe it is circling but has not spotted anything below worth diving for. Or maybe one or more are up there and they are spiraling down to take a closer look, but it will take a while to engage. Or maybe one is up there, circled a bit, moved off, came back, this time lower, is circling...well, you get the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Walter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Jeremy,
The rationale works for me!

Regards,

Ray

PS. Looking forward to ECA The Doolittle Raid!

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.