Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jas Sec
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We just finished our first playthrough of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and its use of an app was a game-changer. The removal of all the decks required for the games' upkeep is a real joy.

For Brimstone the app could incorporate Mine/OW tiles, Threat, Scavenge, Loot, Growing Dread, Darkness, & Mine/OW encounter decks. There would be a page where you select which base + expansions you are using (just like MoM) then it would lay out the mine/OW tiles and do all the "deck" upkeep on the listed decks. The program needs very little "AI" (just rules on how to join the tile sections) it can basically be a themed deck-keeper. By drawing the map one can also take it apart as it grows without worrying about backtracking. Each tile need only be marked Scavenged/Unscavenged and which encounter occurred. Also any active Global Effects could be prominently displayed on top. The MoM app also showed how you don't need the app to keep track of characters, movement, items, combat, etc... That's all stuff that's fun and up to the player to track.

The saved time and effort in sorting decks and game "upkeep" is not to be understated. SoB is a huuuge undertaking (for us) to get onto the table; this would cut down on setup and book-keeping time dramatically. And with the announcement of the Feudal Japan stand-alone/compatible game system I think it's almost "required" going forward to keep up! I'd highly suggest the SoB team take a test drive of MoM 2nd ed. to see how this could really add to our wonderful game. The games assets must already exist digitally, and you already have a soundtrack! There's probably even folks in here itching to program it but for the IP stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night was the first time I used my D66 tables for threats. Much less table clutter than having all those decks, and worked pretty well. An app would be much more useful, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My dream app is incredibly simple and I've been thinking about just doing it on my own because it seems like it would be ridiculously simple and make lots of money. It would work across almost any game system that uses cards. All it would need to do is flip decks of custom cards. I've seen a ridiculous number of traditional playing card apps for iOS, but nothing that really lets you input your own art/scanned art. Flashcard apps come close, but why has nobody created a custom playing card app? It's essentially a randomized picture slideshow with a flipping animation.

There's the one app on the iPad, but that just looks like junk and I can't stand the visuals. The iPhone would be a perfect size for a card flipping app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
My dream app is incredibly simple and I've been thinking about just doing it on my own because it seems like it would be ridiculously simple and make lots of money. It would work across almost any game system that uses cards. All it would need to do is flip decks of custom cards. I've seen a ridiculous number of traditional playing card apps for iOS, but nothing that really lets you input your own art/scanned art. Flashcard apps come close, but why has nobody created a custom playing card app? It's essentially a randomized picture slideshow with a flipping animation.

There's the one app on the iPad, but that just looks like junk and I can't stand the visuals. The iPhone would be a perfect size for a card flipping app.

I have done this with Vassal. It was a chore to scan all of the cards and other materials. However, once scanned and configured it is fairly easy to update. I just scan any new cards, create a new deck and place it on the Vassal "game map". Having all the decks on it instead of the table works great.

I have also added an initiative tracker, the detail cards for all the enemeies, etc. kind of a single point of reference for the game, while still using all the map boards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Last night was the first time I used my D66 tables for threats. Much less table clutter than having all those decks, and worked pretty well. An app would be much more useful, for sure.

Do you have this table available anywhere? I think something like this would be awesome and free up so much space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Stauffer
United States
Waxahachie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 !!!! An app for SoB would be AMAZING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron wood
United States
mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app Cardwarden lets you scan cards and make your own decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
What FFG have done with MOM 2ed will be a game changer for sure. The issue is that few publishers if any have FFG's resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can they make it out of resin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no, please no app for SoB.

Any apps are killing the spirit of boardgame experience.

If you want easier experience, it's much better to play real and full computer games rather than the strange combination of boardgame and tablet App.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:

If you want easier experience, it's much better to play real and full computer games rather than the strange combination of boardgame and tablet App.

I mean, if you don't want to use an app for a board game, they're usually optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
yury1975 wrote:

I mean, if you don't want to use an app for a board game, they're usually optional.

It depends, apparently Mansions of Madness 2nd edition requires the app now (so too does the Xcom game). I'm guessing Board Game Publishers will start transitioning to hybrid Board Game/Apps as a cost-saving measure. They can probably save money by not printing out some components and just stuffing them into an app instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:

I would buy a full conversion to PC as a light rogue-like, if they gave the player so many "lives" before you had to remake your party, and you could just see how far you could make it with certain posse compositions.

I'm another person not interested in an app though; rather play the full board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hanneman
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I like the thought of a "companion" app, which would help with some of the more fiddly aspects of the game. For instance:

Character sheets that can be modified w/ a library of item cards and upgrades which automatically adjust stats and track things.

Personally, I kinda like the decks of cards that can be shuffled and added to directly to help create theme etc.

If the app was complete and drew cards, exploration tokens, map tiles, creatures and guided you step by step through the game would eliminated a lot of stuff that takes up space, but it does feel like it eliminates some of the fun and makes me feel like I am not using a lot of what I payed for.

Part of the fun for me is when you have your character laid out in front of you and you need to remember and track your skills and abilities and item effects. Running your character efficiently is part of what the game is about. If an app did it for me, it does lose something there.

Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who enjoys managing the dozen+ decks of cards though? An app to handle monsters, events, and map tiles would only give you more time to, you know, play.

Setup and tear down of SoB is a real killer, and it limits how long you can actually play. I could probably get a full other short adventure in in the time it takes to set up and tear down all the decks and have them properly organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
paddirn wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
yury1975 wrote:

It depends, apparently Mansions of Madness 2nd edition requires the app now (so too does the Xcom game). I'm guessing Board Game Publishers will start transitioning to hybrid Board Game/Apps as a cost-saving measure. They can probably save money by not printing out some components and just stuffing them into an app instead.

There's still a lot of overhead. Testing the app, for instance. There are still some bugs in the MOM 2ed app that are show stoppers. It can't reliably save files, for one. They're working on another update, but still, the savings in physical materials is more than accounted for by intense migraines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually enjoy handling the decks. It adds a certain visceral joy to gaming that you can't get from an app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I have scanned into my Card Warden

* 4 threat decks
* 4 otherworld threat decks
* 2 scavenge decks
* loot deck
* 5 map decks

Been thinking about adding the Magik decks, gunslinger deck, and maybe a few others from trederra. Will probably add the Otherworld cards and Frontier Town Daily Event deck soon.

That means we will only have Gear, Artifacts, Encounters and other decks that impact the enemies (Serpent tribes, Trederra factions, outlaw bands)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, thanks so much for introducing me to Card Warden!

Wish there was a version for iPhone, but the iPad one will still make Shadows SO much easier to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another one who prefers to have the actual decks (even though it is a pain sorting and laying them out) but I do think an optional app is a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
It takes me like 20 seconds total to lay out or put back in the storage box the full SoB cards collection with this solution.

Those boxes are "panties/socks" dividers. Very common in Japan. They cost 1$ each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a tray for them out of foamboard and printed out the dividers from the site here but still takes time taking them out and laying them out with all the shuffling, certainly longer than 20 seconds! But with them all sorted now it'll be easier to just pull out decks that are needed as we're playing so they don't all have to come out at the start of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
yury1975 wrote:

I'm sorry, but this thought is just ... totally incorrect. FFG is in no way introducing an app as a "cost-saving measure". These games are fully co-op, and the application is being used to handle the game's turn. The intention obviously is to increase replayability and difficulty (making the game more unpredictable) while keeping the game fully co-op. It is a hybrid between having a person playing as the enemy (1 vs many type games, like 1st edition MoM for example), and a typical fully co-op game where the enemy is run by static mechanics and decks of cards/charts.

As the person that typically manages the "game" in our fully co-op game nights, I really like the idea that some of that is taken off my plate and done by the app, so I can concentrate more on Playing rather than managing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Today I came to BGG with the express intent of starting this very same thread--only to find it already exists! I'm very pleased about that.

I too just got Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and had the same thought. If I had an app to help me wrangle all the charts, that would totally incentivize me to get SoB on the table more often. I love the game, but the charts are very hectic to manage, especially with overland adventures with Frontier Town and HexCrawl mixed-in.

I'm not interested in selling anything like a previous poster indicated. I just want to have more fun with the game. I'm a software developer by trade, and would probably start off with something that I can build quickly, namely a Python Flask app targeted at a laptop on the table. I've got no real GUI experience though, so I'll hold off on that with the hopes that somebody else can help with area.

My main design emphasis would be to follow closely the MoM model and start with getting all the charts, town activities, and overland activities under control, with HexCrawl support built-in from the start. Hopefully @paddirn (do @'s work here?) would be on board and could share his digital content with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the problems you'll run into with an app is giving people access to content they haven't bought yet. Jason Hill from Flying Frog has mentioned this as a concern of his several times in the SOB forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.