12 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Code puzzle problem/bug? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
I was recently confronted with a code puzzle in the app in the first scenario, with 5 possible glyphs to configure. I guessed once and had 1 elder sign indicating a correct position, and 4 clue icons indicating correct glyph by wrong position. The next guess I got 5 elder sign indicators, but the puzzle didn't end! All I got was a buzzer noise, like i had guessed wrong.
What do I need to do? Is this a bug?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got 5 elder signs and it didn't end the puzzle then that's a bug for sure. Report it to FFG over at their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
So is the app supposed to say, "Puzzle complete" when you guess correctly (ie. full elder sign symbols?)? Man, that's annoying. I felt like things had come down to the wire - one person injured, both insane, end of the world happening, and my second random guess gets it right...and...nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
Actually it looks like it only ever shows 4 icons for glyph location, not 5, despite the puzzle requiring 5 glyphs. Definitely a bug.
http://imgur.com/SNZavZV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bug, one of the symbols should be used twice in this case (and one symbol will not be used).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me, but is it impossible to use the same glyph in two positions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jophan wrote:
I don't have the game in front of me, but is it impossible to use the same glyph in two positions?

Nope, it should very much be a possibility to have multiple of the same glyph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
spiraljacobs wrote:
Actually it looks like it only ever shows 4 icons for glyph location, not 5, despite the puzzle requiring 5 glyphs. Definitely a bug.
http://imgur.com/SNZavZV

Hang on, doesn't your image just show that you haven't yet completed the puzzle?

How is this a bug? You've only solved 4 of the 5 spaces, the puzzle hasn't completed since you haven't yet supplied it with the answer.

I think this is what Peter, above, is also saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not a bug. It just means that four out of the five glyphs are correct and in the correct slots, and the fifth glyph is completely wrong.

User bug, not app bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
This threw me at first but as others have stated correctly, the glyph puzzles don't necessarily require you to use all 5 glyphs - if they did then the magnifying glass icon would be pointless because you would always have to use one of each glyph.

The first time I encountered one of these puzzles I was really confused what was going on until I realised that I needed to use one of the glyphs three times in the solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slater
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if I was doing something wrong.
Poor explanation, but now that I know, I'm good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
spiraljacobs wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if I was doing something wrong.
Poor explanation, but now that I know, I'm good to go.

The rules do show attempts at using the same glyph multiple times, but perhaps somebody else did the explaining to you.

(but the rules also show a guess that couldn't possibly be correct, as there were only 2 possible combinations left after the first 3 guesses.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.