Subject: Custom Hero(es) - The Mystery Men rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Graff
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Having recently dusted this off to play a few rounds, my mind quickly got ideas about who else would make good player character material. Being a longtime fan of a certain 1999 cult classic, I figured the Mystery Men would make interesting additions, if only to see the in-universe hilarity of Ben Stiller & friends toe up against the likes of Citizen Dawn and Baron Blade.

After a Pepsi filled night, I cooked up the first of the bunch, Mr. Furious, a member of a group of hopeless superhero wannabes called the Mystery Men, "defending" Champion City when it's resident hero Captain Amazing isn't around (or otherwise unavailable). His alleged super power is that he gets super strength only when he's really angry, something that never actually happens.

He focuses on taking damage until he reaches a certain threshold, after which he gets access to powers that deal high amounts of damage, at the cost of non-existent type variety. He is useless in combat before that however, which is why he has a few support cards to give him something to do.

Name: Mr. Furious
Health Points: 30
Power: Erupt - If Mr. Furious is at 15 or lower Health, Deal 1 Target 4 Melee Damage.
Incapacitated Power 1: One Hero may draw a card. One hero may play a card.
Incapacitated Power 2: One hero may use a Power.
Incapacitated Power 3: One hero may deal 1 melee damage to a non-hero target.

Cards

Name: Hair Trigger
Classes: One-Shot
Card Text: Mr. Furious deals 1 target 1 Melee Damage and 1 Melee damage to himself. You may play a card.
Quote: "I think you know exactly what That would do, checkerhead." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men
Number in Deck: 5

Name: Monica
Classes: Ongoing, Limited
Card Text: When Mr. Furious takes damage from a Villain, put this card in the villain play area as a Villain card. Mr. Furious may use all powers regardless of his current health. Discard this card to Mr Furious' trash at the end of his next turn.
Quote: "I don't find you intimidating. At all." - Monica, Mystery Men
Number in Deck: 2

Name: Thrash
Card Text: Destroy an Enviorment or Ongoing card. Mr. Furious takes 1 point of Melee damage.
Quote: "UUUUUAAAAAGHHH!" - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men

Name: Clone
Classes: Equipment, Limited
Card Text: Increase Melee damage dealt by Mr. Furious by 2. When Mr. Furious reaches 15 or lower HP, immediately destory this card.
Quote: "Harley compatible. Basically the same engineering." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men
Number in Deck: 3

Name: Lash Out
Classes: Ongoing
Card Text: Power: If Mr. Furious is at 15 or less Health, deal 3 targets 2 Melee Damage.
Quote: "No, no, no... Rage really taking over." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men
Number in Deck: 4

Name: Zero Chops
Card Text: Power: Mr. Furious deals 2 targets 1 Melee Damage. Mr. Furious takes 2 Melee Damage.
Quote: "What are we going to publisize? The fact we get our butts kicked?" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Name: Fastball Special
Card Text: You may change the damage type of any damage Mr. Furious deals to projectile.
Quote: "Don't mess with a volcano, buddy, or I'll go Pompeii on your butt!" - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men

Name: Junk it
Card Text: Search the trash of 1 target Hero and choose one card. The owner can either choose to play it or put it in their hand.
Quote: "If you tell me to junk it one more time..." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men
Number in Deck: 4

Name: Explode
Card Text: If Mr. Furious has 15 or less Health, all non-hero targets recieve 3 melee damage.
Quote: "Fracku-later, Frankenpuss!" - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men

Name: Longcoat
Card Text: When Mr. Furious is at 15 or less Health, decrease all incoming damage by 1.
Quote: "That makes me... Furious." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men

Name: Publicist
Card Text: Each Hero discards up to H cards, and then shuffles H cards of their choice from their trash to the deck.
Quote: "150 a piece, we all chip in. my cousin knows a guy who knows a publicist..." - Mr. Furious, Mystery Men

Deck available for viewing/printing: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mtmt99dm2vfzeim/AADhUKe0GIUpKAfiG...

This is my first serious attempt a custom content, so I'm not experienced in the finer points of balance, something I'm very well aware of. Advice on how to fine-tune this and the other Mystery Men (It's hard to find card ideas when your only source material is a 90 minute movie admittedly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty.

FourCartridge wrote:
Card Text: When Mr. Furious is at 15 or less Health, decrease all incoming damage by 1.

I think that this is only supposed to apply to damage dealt to Mr Furious by sources other than Mr Furious, but "all incoming damage" could mean all damage dealt to any target (!) or all damage dealt to Mr Furious regardless of source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the concept I was just talking to my son about this movie yesterday. (We had just seen Suicide Squad.)

The quote on Thrash should be "The roof ... the roof ... the roof is on fire!"

The Shoveler will have to have a card titled "Summon the Shovel." with the quote "I shovel well."

Thanks for the smiles.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some wording issues that I can address a little later, when I have the time to fully dig into this, but the biggest issue I see here is that the innate power is utterly useless at the start of the game. That's a big, big no-no in Sentinels. I'd suggest changing it to:

Erupt - If Mr. Furious is at 15 or less health, Mr. Furious deals 1 target 4 Melee damage. Otherwise, Mr. Furious deals 1 target 1 Melee damage, then deals himself 1 Melee damage.

I'd also cut that first incap power in half. Adding both a draw *and* a play to the mix is severely overpowered; none of the official heroes have that particular incap power. If you're going for a play without affecting the total cards in hand, I'd suggest:

*One hero puts the top card of their deck into play.

This is a little less controllable (which seems fitting), and actually has the benefit of bypassing any effect which prevents heroes from playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Graff
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
pmagnus wrote:

I think that this is only supposed to apply to damage dealt to Mr Furious by sources other than Mr Furious, but "all incoming damage" could mean all damage dealt to any target (!) or all damage dealt to Mr Furious regardless of source.

It's supposed to reduce all dame to Mr. Furious no matter where it comes from; if by some strange reason all he can do is play cards that damage himself or you really need that ongoing/environment car gone or he needs to take one for the team if a hero needs to damage everyone else; it's meant to keep him alive when he hulks out after all.

HikariStarshine wrote:
There's some wording issues that I can address a little later, when I have the time to fully dig into this, but the biggest issue I see here is that the innate power is utterly useless at the start of the game. That's a big, big no-no in Sentinels. I'd suggest changing it to:

Erupt - If Mr. Furious is at 15 or less health, Mr. Furious deals 1 target 4 Melee damage. Otherwise, Mr. Furious deals 1 target 1 Melee damage, then deals himself 1 Melee damage.

I'd also cut that first incap power in half. Adding both a draw *and* a play to the mix is severely overpowered; none of the official heroes have that particular incap power. If you're going for a play without affecting the total cards in hand, I'd suggest:

*One hero puts the top card of their deck into play.

This is a little less controllable (which seems fitting), and actually has the benefit of bypassing any effect which prevents heroes from playing cards.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually thought about changing his innate to do that also, but it didn't quite fit. I suppose that's what font sizes are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like the design overall, has a pretty clear flavor and lots of cards that work into it in clever ways.

Not sure about "Fastball special" gameplay wise, though - the flavour makes sense but the card would be almost useless in the vast majority of situations. You could potentially get around Omnitron's plating in some very specific circumstances? Maybe if it increased his damage too in order to grant it some reason power-wise to play it, as well as the flavourful damage type change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see merit to Fastball, as-is. In addition to Omnitron's plating, it'll hit La Capitan's Mabel and the Grand Warlords ships. But more importantly, there's some internal benefit: Clone increases melee damage dealt by Furious. If he is hitting a bad guy and himself for 1 melee each, he can strike the baddie for 3 melee and himself for 1 projectile. Now, it may be weird that he hits himself with a ranged attack, but that happens all the time at the table.

Why not just make the innate power be to deal minor damage (and to self, if you want) and have another card in the deck provide the "If Mr. Furious is at 15 HP or less, deal 1 target 4 melee damage" power? That's what building up the cards in play is for--handling stuff that the hero can't access immediately.

You can get space for such a card by removing the fifth copy of the other cards; no published deck has more than 4 copies of a single card in it. Sure, you could violate that soft limit all you want, but just to let you know. You only have 11 different cards in the deck. You shouldn't want it to play the same every time.

For a more standardized feel, change all "takes" and "receives" instances to "is dealt" and source the damage (as in, "Mr. Furious deals ...").

Regarding Publicist: Can I discard one or no cards and still move (H) from trash to deck? I feel the answer is yes, since many heroes aren't going to benefit too well from just having certain cards back in their decks that a discard per card moved is likely steep. Most aren't going to want to discard for no reason. But in a few cases, I can see where having a particular card in the deck is better than in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
no published deck has more than 4 copies of a single card in it.

Depends on how published you think Starlight is, in the Cauldron fan-expansion. Starlight's rocking... I want to say six copies of the central card for her deck's primary gimmick?

But admittedly, that's just one card out of the set, and it's a pretty heavily multi-purpose card.

On to the wording tweaks I promised before! Also adjusting the effects of a couple of cards that seemed either needlessly arcane (Monica becoming a Villain card) or had potentially game-ruining issues (Publicist either nuking hand size or having no real drawback for its potential benefits).

FourCartridge wrote:
Name: Hair Trigger
Card Text: Mr. Furious deals 1 target 1 Melee Damage, then deals himself 1 Melee damage. You may play a card.

Name: Monica
Card Text: When Mr. Furious takes damage from a Villain, move this card to the villain play area as a Villain card.

If this card is in the villain play area, Mr. Furious is treated by card text on Hero cards as if he had 14 HP.

If this card is in the villain play area, destroy this card at the end of Mr. Furious's turn.

Name: Thrash
Card Text: Destroy an Environment or Ongoing card. Mr. Furious deals himself 1 point of Melee damage.

Name: Clone
Card Text: Increase Melee damage dealt by Mr. Furious by 2. If Mr. Furious is ever at 15 or fewer HP, immediately destroy this card.

Name: Lash Out
Card Text: Power: If Mr. Furious is at 15 or fewer HP, deal 3 targets 2 Melee Damage.

Name: Zero Chops
Card Text: Power: Mr. Furious deals 2 targets 1 Melee Damage each. Each of those targets deals Mr. Furious 1 Melee damage.

Name: Fastball Special
Card Text: You may change the damage type of any damage Mr. Furious deals to projectile.

Name: Junk it
Card Text: Search the trash of 1 target Hero and choose one card. That hero may either choose to put it into play or put it into their hand.

Name: Explode
Card Text: If Mr. Furious has 15 or fewer HP, he deals all non-hero targets receive 3 melee damage each.

Card Text: If Mr. Furious has 15 or fewer HP, reduce all damage taken by Mr. Furious by 1.

Name: Publicist
Card Text: Each hero may discard up to X cards, then shuffle X cards of their choice from their trash into their deck, then draw X-1 cards.

X = any number up to (H), of each hero's choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, change all mentions of "Health" to "HP" and, when dealing damage to multiple targets, deals X targets [N type] damage each.

Starlight is my favorite among the Cauldron decks. But it's a fan deck, which is distinct from published decks. As in: we ought to strive to make our fan decks compatible and on par with the published decks.

That said, despite their same text and name, the Constellations all have unique illustrations, and, as such, are technically six different single cards with similar function. (Getting a single image and printing it six times doesn't quite give the same feel.) Personally, I'd prefer if they all had the names of the different constellations represented. Since Constellation is a keyword, they needn't share a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Next, change all mentions of "Health" to "HP" and, when dealing damage to multiple targets, deals X targets [N type] damage each.

Well, yes. But I was mostly interested in sorting out ambiguities and a couple of the most egregious errors I saw, first.

Also it was late.

Anyways. I do think this deck is an interesting concept and I don't think I've seen it done before to this extent. It'll be interesting to see where this goes with some actual playtesting thrown at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No man's an island. It often takes several drafts just to edit for proper wording. I only meant to contribute. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.