11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy vs Good Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachi C
msg tools
Hi all,

we recently have bought Return to Hoth (we have twin shadows too), and we will play its campaign.
I will be IP.

Rebel players are very clever (harcore players), I had a lot of problems in last campaign, even playing with subversive tactics.

Now they will play the 3 Hoth heroes + 1 (maybe the wookiee or Saska).
I heard that Verana and loku are very strong and effective.
I never played Hoth, so I don't know what expect.

Are the new imperial Classes strong enough? I heard not so much.
Do you have any advice or strategy against very good players?

Playing Precision training or choose Armored Onslaught? come back to old Imperial class and using Military might or Tech Support?

Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finished my campaign against the three Hoth heroes and Biv.

I played Armored Onslaught and a big part of the campaign was very one-sided... in my favor.

When you play AO, Mortar, Explosive Weapons, and Heavy Firepower are nasty. Note that even, say, a Wampa can use Mortar and EW combined with HF makes even a lowly Officer a threat. Power to Shields can help you against Cleave if Gaarkhan comes in.

Unfortunately, I lost the campaign, since the finale heavily favors the rebels. Missions-wise, the score was Rebels 5, Empire 6 (and even then, I practically threw A Simple Task because they were pretty demoralized at that point).

If you do take AO, and you have access to Twin Shadows, take the Heavy Stormtroopers as open group often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're at the finale of Hoth, 3 Hoth heroes + Jyn.
Verena and MHD are your early targets - TAKE VERENA OUT ASAP. Don't cluster your units where she can chain off them with her built in ability. Mid game you'll curse her however... she kind of plateaus.
MHD has some offensive presence in the first few missions - but he quickly loses that appeal and becomes a medical (bacta infusion) fetcher and healer.
What happens late game is Loku just dominates. Late game - Verena can damage a small group of units, possibly take a few out if they have damage - Loku can just look at a unit and it dies.
In out campaign in the last 3 missions - Loku has:
* defeated an entire elite HK group with +2 health right after they were deployed
* two-shot the tank with +2 defense (dealing > 12 damage) 4 times in 1 game
* defeated wampas in 1 shot

As the Imperial player, you can go subversive tactics and target verena early on and then loku - both are strain heavy units.
If you go armored assault (which is what our IP is running) - Mortar is a must as is Heavy Firepower. Our IP went with defense buffs - which aren't worth it when the IP needs to just mow things down.
For Armored - you'll want Heavy Troopers, ISB Troopers (midgame), and HK Assassins. For early game - you'll want Hired Guns to mess w/ Verena.
Vs. the Hoth Heroes, our play group has wondered if the better IP class deck is Military Might...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
I'm interested to know what weapon(s) and abilities your Loku has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
Thank you very much for the help!

Sop Verena is the priority target. Armored Onslaught seems very situational, but Precision training lacks for firepower

(we have twin shadows).

Are both finale so Rebel favors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reserved89 wrote:
I'm interested to know what weapon(s) and abilities your Loku has.

Combat Spotter
Overwatch
Spectrum Scanner
Study of Enemies
Mon Cala Special Forces
Items
Battle Vision (reward item)
Pulse Cannon (weapon)
Plasma Cell (attachment)

There are so many ways Loku can manipulate recon tokens at this point it's not even funny.
* Battle Vision is incredibly powerful if you recon 2 adjacent units.
* MHD's ability to give a yellow die was useful earlier - however Loku typically over surges with it at this point.
* Loku can become Focused almost every turn
* Loku ALWAYS goes first and either kills something or recons and overwatches
* Overwatch is powerful early game (+ surge - but diminishes later as he oversurges a lot),
* Combat Spotter -> recon token is incredible - LoS goes out the door in most cases.
* Loku with +X accuracy and Combat Spotter makes him godly
* Study of Enemies' surge ability and Battle Vision is just insane - you can recon things around corners since it doesn't require LoS - go back to the first bullet where the recon token on the target gives +1 and battlevision adds another +1 to an adjacent and it's just a crazy combo.

So in the case of the tank - choosing an evade cancels a surge - that surge would cancel pierce 1 or the tank chooses 1 defense - the surge rolled pierces that defense - it's a wash no matter what the IP does. The tank is generally reconned - so there's +1 damage already on it.
There's Pierce 1 built into the weapon.
If there's a reconned adjacent figure - that's another +1.
Doing the math - coming from overwatch - Loku is already dealing 2 damage, pierce 1 and a surge to pierce 1. He's rolling blue, yellow, green - if he was focused he can add another green. If MHD is near he could get another yellow. He can spend surges to get +2 damage and +1 damage.

We had Loku's side mission as our 3rd side mission - after he got his item he started jumping in power. I forget the buy order - but he also got his 4xp card around that point.

Go ahead and play test this - he's not incredibly mobile and he doesn't need to be.

I don't know if I mentioned this - but in one game he rolled 6 or 7 dodges in a row - so that's also helped out a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loku is a very powerful and underrated character. He is just one of the few heroes where you actually need to understand line-of-sight really really well and plan ahead by one turn so that you can use Set Your Sights at the beginning of the turn for a nice damage spike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
@necksnappingadam Thanks, your post clears up a lot.

I have to ask though, aren't most heroes are going to perform well with 1650 credits worth of equipment, a strong reward and the support of another character's abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isn't that the point?

Going into a finale, we've swept the empire.
So 400 credits per mission + crates + reward credits + selling base weapons back nets us about 5000-8000 credits total. Mhd has armor and a med pack - getting him a great weapon kind of defeats his role. Jyn was able to score death hammer. Verena got vibroblade and the surge attachment; she just got a new gun to go with her 2 red dice on close quarter range.

A good team has some synergy unless the rebels are fighting it. You'd need to build a team with the tentpoles - biv, diala, ghaarkhan, and possibly jyn or mak to have a team where everyone does their own thing and/or you'd need to choose cards that don't benefit teammates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
Good point. I guess you've made Loku your team's big imperial-crushing hammer that the rest of the team throws their weight behind.

What do you mean by tent-pole? I can sort of see in the case of Ghaarkhan - although he is a good character he has limited overt synergy with other characters - but not so much for the others you list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reserved89 wrote:
Good point. I guess you've made Loku your team's big imperial-crushing hammer that the rest of the team throws their weight behind.

What do you mean by tent-pole? I can sort of see in the case of Ghaarkhan - although he is a good character he has limited overt synergy with other characters - but not so much for the others you list.

Loku was built for this and lucked into his role - Verena was doing a good job up till he got his reward and 4xp card - we pulled his weapon once we got tier 3 cards and he became what he is. We have a good deal of balance w/ our characters. (On an aside - SW:IA tries to hide archetypes but if you choose characters based on the Melee, Range, Rogue, Support model and build accordingly - you generally wind up with a good team. SW:IA generally has a figure with a primary role and a possible secondary - Mak can be ranged or Rogue as can Jyn, Verena could go ranged, but is best as Melee, etc.)

Maybe I mis-typed - in this case I'm talking about the dominant melee units - I guess tank would have been a better choice.

Biv, Gharkhan, and Diala are great mid-late game and have similar abilities however there's only so many units that can be cleave'd, way of the sarlac'ed, and Close and Personal'ed. You'd be giving up any chance of group movement, attribute tests, or other shared enhancers in favor of being able to defeat wave after wave of storm troopers at close range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.