Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: How well do the pirates integrate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey,
I was thinking about buying the pirate expansion and I was wondering how well the pirate ship and SS Walden integrate in one of the classic missions? In you experience, how often do people actually board other ships etc when this is not the main focus of the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The interceptor is a great ship in most scenarios due to its high speed and no fuel cost; but the Walden is just bad IMO--that slow speed is murder in a game that's about action efficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the Walden once so far...and won the game with it. It is slow, so you have to play with that in mind. However it has a HUGE hold. You have to carefully select the jobs you find. I was up against a decently-played standard Firefly, and a newbie/inefficient Jetwash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I've only played the Walden once so far...and won the game with it. It is slow, so you have to play with that in mind. However it has a HUGE hold. You have to carefully select the jobs you find. I was up against a decently-played standard Firefly, and a newbie/inefficient Jetwash.

IF you get the Walden do everything you can to get "Wash" that puts you up to std Firefly speed and no heavy penalty. You can gereate a huge amout of cash with that huge hold in less trips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

IF you get the Walden do everything you can to get "Wash" that puts you up to std Firefly speed and no heavy penalty. You can gereate a huge amout of cash with that huge hold in less trips.

Well...I at least did have his shirt & dinosaur... whistle

Yes, a couple of lucrative trips and I was able to generate enough cash to pivot my focus entirely to the story card goals while the others were still trying to build enough to get going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
What about the piracy and boarding aspect (or PvP in general). How useful is that in a normal scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Summed up I think the P&B is a very nice addon.

As the preposter already said:
- the Interceptor is a really great ship. First I didn't like it due to its 4 places of cargo hold. But the great speed completely counterbalances this. You play the game in a different way.
- the SS warrant is not really good if you don't find Wash or the ship Upgrade providing you +1 full speed range.

Regarding your last question:
- the piracy is kind of funny but not that good.
- in cooperative games you can misuse the piracy jobs for becoming solid very fast

My major negative point of P&B is 1 single card (which is 2x in the addon): German name: Elektronische Verteidigungsphalanx

- It's a ship upgrade for only 800$
- your ship can only be boarded by negotiation. A Tech 6+ doesn't work any more.
- you don't need a Pilot and Mechanic to evade the Reaper ship but only the 1 Fuel
- you can ignore the Alliance Cruiser contact
- you can ignore the Reaper Ship contact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
McEve wrote:
My major negative point of P&B is 1 single card (which is 2x in the addon): German name: Elektronische Verteidigungsphalanx

- It's a ship upgrade for only 800$
- your ship can only be boarded by negotiation. A Tech 6+ doesn't work any more.
- you don't need a Pilot and Mechanic to evade the Reaper ship but only the 1 Fuel
- you can ignore the Alliance Cruiser contact
- you can ignore the Reaper Ship contact

must be different in the German version. In the US version, that upgrade has no effect on Alliance contact events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually found the Walden quite useful and use in in about 1/2 my games. normally I don't get Wash when I play, but every once in a while do pull other cards that add to range. although her speed is a disadvantage, I like her cargo size and the ability to run Heavy Loads without any problems (in one game, I ran 3 heavy loads in one trip and made quite a few coins). as with any ship, optimizing her is eventually the key.

and for those who don't like her because of her speed, I would remind you of some old story involving a rabbit and a turtle. just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Oh by the way, there is a "list price" printed on the ship cards. Is this just flavour stuff that's been added or is this actually relevant for gameplay??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitchslapped wrote:
Oh by the way, there is a "list price" printed on the ship cards. Is this just flavour stuff that's been added or is this actually relevant for gameplay??

it's relevant. on "the browncoat way" setup card, you have $12k to purchase your ship, fuel and parts at the start of the game, and the cost of the Jetwash and Esmerelda are quite high due to the "bonus upgrades" they start off with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahhh, just had to google it. Seems those set up cards are an addition that came with the blue suns expansion which isn't available on the German market yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitchslapped wrote:
Hey,
I was thinking about buying the pirate expansion and I was wondering how well the pirate ship and SS Walden integrate in one of the classic missions? In you experience, how often do people actually board other ships etc when this is not the main focus of the mission?

In my opinion P&BH is the most useful expansion since it adds the new ships (which are almost always used in our games) and new ways to make money (bounties). Pirating is not that useful, but can from time to time come into play.

The best way to play the game is with all expansions added!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pirating is limited unless you're playing with 3+ players. The chances are the only time you use it is to take the leader down a peg, but if they're the leader and you're the only other player... chances are they have a better crew than you anyway so trying to raid them with a piracy card will just widen the gap.

We play 2 player games with the piracy cards and PvP story cards removed, but all the other elements from the P&B expansion. We still keep the rules to freely raid other ships via showdowns for stealing bounties/binding outlaw crew though, just so there's still risk for picking these up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitchslapped wrote:
Ahhh, just had to google it. Seems those set up cards are an addition that came with the blue suns expansion which isn't available on the German market yet.

Actually the Browncoat Way setup comes in either Jetwash or Esmeralda IIRC. I don't have Blue Suns (yet), but have the two ships and I have that setup card. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in P&B or Kalidasa which I also have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitchslapped wrote:

The "Browncoat" set up card came with Jetwash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Which isn't out here in Germany either ^^
Right now there's just breaking atmo which was released simultaniously to the base game and P&B which came out a couple of weeks ago. The German publisher is taking its sweet sweet time with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
P&BH has my favorite (and most often played by my group) scenario card: "The Choices We Make". We don't do a lot of piracy, but the Wanted Bounties adds a fun dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone could probably scan or type up the text of the Browncoat Way. Note that it's a SETUP card, separate from whatever SCENARIO/STORY card you're using.

The general idea is that everyone gets $12000 but you have to use that to buy your ship and as much starting fuel/parts as you want. During setup the first player picks a leader OR buys a ship (and places it according to the legal setup rules), then the last player does both and you go back in reverse order (like picking initial placements in Catan). After everyone has a ship and a leader, everyone may buy as much fuel/parts as they want and can fit on their ship. Whatever money is left is yours to start the game with, instead of the usual amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^^ That's pretty much it. Start with $12k cash, no ship. The other change is picking your ship and leader. I'm going off memory (game isn't nearby), but IIRC, first player picks either a ship or a leader, then go clockwise until everyone has picked one. Then reverse and pick the other. Finally, pick starting location on the board as normal. When you pick your ship, pay the listed cost on its board (plus any built-in upgrades. e.g. Jetwash or Esmeralda's goodies). Those picking base Fireflies will have more cash to start, while the expansion ships have a few goodies to start.

This is my group's preferred set up card now. It does add a little time, but is more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Someone could probably scan or type up the text of the Browncoat Way.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336276/ship-and-captain...

Scroll on down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks. Found that on google as well. Browncoat seems like a much better way to pick ships and captains than the vanilla start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the core game, with all ships identical, all you're really doing is picking color, so the base set up made sense. But now, with more and more options... not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the thread gwek linked, here's the Browncoat way:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like that expansion quite a lot. As others have said, the Walden is quite powerful if you pick the right jobs. A single "pick up as many X as you like and get paid Y per X delivered" quest, early in the game, can send you streaks ahead. I've actually had much less luck with the Interceptor; I usually find something pops up to interrupt my flight before I get to my full move in any case. I'm sure that will vary quite a bit from game to game though.

Piracy rarely comes into our games. It's quite hard to pull off unless you're already winning the game by a solid margin, in which case: 1) it usually seems better to just focus on winning the game, and 2) beating up on the losers seems sort of pointlessly mean. Bounties, on the other hand, change the game quite a bit, since they're free money with no crew cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.