Subject: Fantastic Play at Gen Con! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex S
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the chance to play about 2/3 of a game of this at Gen Con (By having a kind soul known as Donner do me a favor and teach me while he wasn't technically working) and was blown away! I was pretty sure I'd like it but expected it to feel a lot less heavy than it did.

While each round seems like it would be pretty simple, what really made it interesting was the costs of each action. To pick an action you either have to have a spell of that color or two spells of the same color to give up. Some spells are definitely more desirable than others but it always feels like a cost. Additionally, if there are too many investigators on a spot you know you're picking them up if you go there, but it might be worth it. Finally, after you've been cursed, whenever you're doing a 'new' action, there's this tension of wondering if you're going to be cursed or not.

While there's definitely a lot of complexity I haven't even touched in my partial play through, it definitely felt like a game with a lot of possibility for replay and heavy choices, with just the right amount of randomness to keep things really interesting. Suffice to say, I've now backed it (after making sure Gen Con didn't break my bank) and can't wait to get it next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Saturday at GenCon I demoed Fate of the Elder Gods. Richard Launius the co-designer and of Arkham Horror etc. fame ran the demo for us. The game was still in the same prototype state (base game) that I had demoed previously at the Origins Game Fair. We had a full compliment of 4 players two of which were completely inexperienced. After about 5-7 minutes of rules explanation from Richard we began playing.

It only took about 3 rounds of play (10min) including questions and explanation before the players were playing completely autonomously. I established a slight lead early and drew some hate from the other players which slowed me down a bit. Another player stepped into the lead soon after while a third player became a legitimate threat while pursuing the Elder Sign path to victory. Unfortunately for me I was his choice to be the recipient of the accursed Elder Signs and soon I received a Curse as Elder Signs and Summon Track Tokens met. Using my Elder God's dark gift (Tsathogguua) and the ability of The Crown of Carcosa (Artifact) to roll an additional die for temporary control to push my summon track to the brink and finally ushered my Elder God into our world (winning) by triggering a spell I had readied earlier in the game. Often times I was blocked from using The Ceremony location but usually found a good alternative location (Other Worlds/The Gathering) to help my cause. All though it never triggered I was sweating the curse that hung over my head for nearly half the game! My opponent revealed it's effect afterward and if triggered it would have likely snatched victory from me and handed it to him so he was very anxious to see me fulfill it's requirement! Sorry Charlie 

The player turns flew by with a total of maybe 15 rounds. We sat down at 11 and shook hands saying our farewells just past the noon hour. With experienced players I could see a game of 4 playing out easily within 45mins. Just with the base game the replayability seems quite high. It's how the eight distinct Elder God Dark Gifts, plethora of Spell effects and 20 Artifact cards with 2 effects each interact that account for this. The Monster Expansion that will be included for backers of the project promises to take this game to an even higher level! The Shoggoth miniature which just got unlocked will chase down and devour Investigators as it circles the Fate Clock and the Mi-Go that were made available before them interact with Artifacts! I also demoed Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu and the Arkham Horror LCG and Fate of the Elder Gods compared well with them all even superior to them in some regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had an awesome experience with this game at GenCon. Richard Launius led the demo. There were four of us: I was Tsathoggua, my friend Mike was Ithaqua, and the others were Hastur and Cthulhu. The rules explanation took about 10 minutes. Richard helped us offering hints and suggestions for the first few turns until we got the rhythm.

Hastur jumped out to a huge lead, but the rest of us started slowing him down with investigator raids and what not. I was getting ready to get Tsathoggua's dark gift going (go to the ceremony and kidnap another players cultist. Then on another turn, feed that cultist to Tsathoggua for a victory point. )
Unfortunately, it turns out my curse triggered whenever I visited the ceremony and I had a cultist devoured. That slowed me down a bit.
People had noon events, so we did not finish but I think Cthulhu and Hastur had 7 points, I had 6 and my friend Mike had 4.

The game flows and has a nice pace to it. More importantly, it was a ton of fun, both helping Tsathoggua advance and messing with the other players.

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a slightly different Cthulhu game, where you are helping the Great Old Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.