Support:

Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was assembling the minis yesterday, I started to wonder, what's the point of using the plastic minis when I've become so used to the tokens in Arkham / Eldritch Horror.

Do the base sizes really matter, or can I just chuck all of that and use the tokens? Does it have a gameplay impact, besides the idea that all the monster figures just look cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just use the tokens if you really want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Kaworu17 wrote:
...that all the monster figures just look cool?

You got it. the little hooks on the back are useful for holding the rune markers in cases of multiple of the same monster, but you could just set them on the token so...yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Confirmed.

I only use the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually thinking of removing the tokens from the bases, myself. The bases are comically large and I really don't like them at all. Yes, I realize this is how it was before, but I just don't like them. The best part is that even with the large bases, you still have to look underneath them to find the rest of the monster's information.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huuuuuuuge miniatures guy and I'm not ashamed to admit I've bought games solely for the awesome little plastic dudes that came with it, but it just seems like using the tokens by themselves is so much easier. Maybe I'll follow what I've seen others do and re-base them myself and have the tokens set to the side for informational purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might not be the same for everyone, but in my copy the tokens fit so tightly into the small bases I'm not sure I can remove them. I had to use the proof of purchase chit to push them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
I'm actually thinking of removing the tokens from the bases, myself. The bases are comically large and I really don't like them at all.

I too think these bases look pretty horrible. Shame, as everything else looks so nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Might not be the same for everyone, but in my copy the tokens fit so tightly into the small bases I'm not sure I can remove them. I had to use the proof of purchase chit to push them in.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about, as well. They were so hard to get into the bases that I'm not sure they're going to come back out.

What's funny is that I used the Proof of Purchase chit for mine, as well! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm worried about, as well. They were so hard to get into the bases that I'm not sure they're going to come back out.

What's funny is that I used the Proof of Purchase chit for mine, as well! laugh

I ended up cutting some of the punch out boards and using scraps to push them in. Proof of Purhcase would have saved me a little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

I'm thinking of taking a copy of the board(s) before I punch them out, printing to some matt photo paper, gluing it to some card and cutting them to size. I will then use the copies to go in the bases and keeping the originals in good condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess it's all in your personal tastes. The only thing I dislike about Eldritch Horror is that it has crappy cardboard chits. I just can't get into the game. I use my painted mini's in MOM, EH and Elder Sign, it totally makes the game for me. I even use hero mini's from Last Night on Earth for the NPC's in MoM2 rather than use the little picture discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet but am thinking of using my Arkham Horror investigator standees and fitting the monster tokens in the stands, if they fit that is.
I'm not a lover of grey plastic minis, that I have no intention of painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm an old card stock modeller and one of the parts of it that hobby was standees - with full colour fronts and backs. I believe that there are most of the monsters/creatures in standee form out there so I think I might replace with these.
Why?
They flat pack; they are usually better detailed and full coloured. Plus, IMO, they fit the game - flat tiles, tokens and cards.

I'll see how I go m

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
I'm an old card stock modeller and one of the parts of it that hobby was standees - with full colour fronts and backs. I believe that there are most of the monsters/creatures in standee form out there so I think I might replace with these.
Why?
They flat pack; they are usually better detailed and full coloured. Plus, IMO, they fit the game - flat tiles, tokens and cards.

I'll see how I go m

Wormwood

Were do you find the appropriate standees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
What's funny is that I used the Proof of Purchase chit for mine, as well! :laugh:

Well, it's expendable! Mine was pretty torn up by the end of it. The medium and large bases weren't nearly so tight. I don't think I'll ever remove them, so it's not really a problem in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Kaworu17 wrote:
When I was assembling the minis yesterday, I started to wonder, what's the point of using the plastic minis when I've become so used to the tokens in Arkham / Eldritch Horror.

Do the base sizes really matter, or can I just chuck all of that and use the tokens? Does it have a gameplay impact, besides the idea that all the monster figures just look cool?

I just bought into roughly $200 of pre-painted minis.

And I'm thinking of getting a couple sets of these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/386787566/monster-stands-for-el...

...and get off these crazy train before any expansions are announced. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Mulholland
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had to use the proof of purchase chit to push them in.

We did the same thing. First time I've ever found a use for the "proof of purchase" chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:

Wow! They look great! Are they the right size to hold the MoM monster tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
superdupergeek wrote:
Kaworu17 wrote:

Wow! They look great! Are they the right size to hold the MoM monster tokens?

Yup.

Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and Mansions of Madness tokens all fit into the same bases for the same monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Why?

I'll see how I go m

Wormwood

Try onemonk.com - I have files archived which I need to unearth date range 2008 - 2012. I'm sure the are pulp fishers based on Arkham Horror and monsters to boot. Will let you know how I fair.

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
Why?

I'll see how I go m

Wormwood

Reaching back into an old forum with some serious help from the members there this is what I have to present:

Darkfast Dungeons: Eldritch Mythos Monsters

Horrors From Beyond

and

Darkfast Dungeons: Eldritch Mythos Innsmouth

Yet to look into the investigators

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I might use the tokens, I dont like most of the minis.

If I do use the minis, I'm not going to use the horrible black bases. Instead, I will rebase them onto something smaller and keep the tokens off the board.

Played last night with the tokens off the board and it worked fine. Plus, the bases dont really work, the numbers are hard to see anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I WANT to be the gamer that can just use the chits - these bases ARE so big and chunky. But having the models on the board just adds a menacing atmosphere that would be missing for me with just the cardboard.

Yeah - painting them would be great, but I can't see it happening. Still, When I pointed my flare gun at that horde of deep ones it was an amazing sight that would have been way less dramatic without the models...

Bye, bye money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of re-basing the minis onto clear acrylic bases; the app handles most of the stats anyway, so just keep the chits handy to reference the Horror ratings etc. You can enjoy the visual effect of minis without having the clunky black bases covering the board art/causing massive overcrowding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
I'm in the process of re-basing the minis onto clear acrylic bases; the app handles most of the stats anyway, so just keep the chits handy to reference the Horror ratings etc. You can enjoy the visual effect of minis without having the clunky black bases covering the board art/causing massive overcrowding.

Where do you get your bases from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.