$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.03

7,745 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Age of Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Which does make a player go bankruptcy? from 0 income? from minus income? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eun-Hwan Oh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which does make a player go bankruptcy? from zero or minus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coogegec wrote:
Which does make a player go bankruptcy? from zero or minus?

Everyone's income starts at 0. If 0 income caused a player to go bankrupt, then everyone would immediately go bankrupt at the start of the game!

Negative income causes bankruptcy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
coogegec wrote:
Which does make a player go bankruptcy? from zero or minus?

Everyone's income starts at 0. If 0 income caused a player to go bankrupt, then everyone would immediately go bankrupt at the start of the game!

Negative income causes bankruptcy.


In general you are right. Although I would describe it differently - you go bankrupt when you cannot meet payments. And those you cannot meet if you already used all money and decreased income to 0 and still there is some dept to pay. Which would put you on negative income and you go bankrupt.

But in details you seem to be wrong. Bankruptcy is checked at the end of the turn when you collect income and pay costs. So merely starting at 0 income would not make you bankrupt. Ending first round on 0 income would. If that was correct in the first place - but as we know, it is not.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adambadura wrote:
But in details you seem to be wrong. Bankruptcy is checked at the end of the turn when you collect income and pay costs. So merely starting at 0 income would not make you bankrupt. Ending first round on 0 income would. If that was correct in the first place - but as we know, it is not.

Good point! But yes, the point remains that 0 income of course does not bankrupt you, whether at the start of a turn or at the end of a turn or anytime else.

BTW: The rule text in my Eagle Games edition rulebook seem very clear about this in "VII. Pay Expenses": "If this causes a player to have less than $0 income, they are eliminated"... There's no plausible way to interpret that to mean that 0 income eliminates you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.