42.1% of Goal | left

Support:

A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Guildhall or Job Faire so... which of the three sets would you recommend to a new player who might or might not play the others?

I'm hesitating to just go with the first one because I've played too many variable-setup games where the "recommended first game setup" is boring, and I'm wondering whether the cards in Fellowship were selected for being simple, or what.

Opinions or enlightenment would be welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellowship seems to have the most straightforward cards. I think it's probably the best to start with for beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one would be a fine place to start. Even though this is the first release its not intended to be a beginner set or anything like that. Each box has its very straightforward cards and it's one or two kooky cards that you have to read the description for every single time you play them lol. The game system is so fantastic that any set is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three sets to get started. I played for the first time last Saturday with the Alliance set. I found it met my expectations and fun factor requirement enough that I picked up the entire series. A few days later I was able to teach my mom to play, and that was with a mixture of 2 classes from each box.

You'll find a good blend of the various abilities within each set. Usually one class to grab VP, one to dig in the discard pile, one to draw from main deck, etc. If I was only acquiring one set I'd likely get the one with class names I like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.