$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.1

7,748 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Action Activation Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know if that best describes the mechanism that I'm after but I'm basically looking for games that are the opposite of worker placement or action drafting games. In those games what one player does denies other players the opportunity to do the same. In "action activation" games, what one player picks enables other players to do the same.

For instance in Race for the Galaxy players pick roles simultaneously and what each player picks also allows their opponents to use that role. Other examples are Puerto Rico, Mottainai and Tiny Epic Galaxies. But what I really like about RfTG is that it combines this mechanism with simultaneous action selection.

But generally what other good games are there that use this mechanism?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
San Juan is a good one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy

You're right, this is a really great mechanic. I'd love to hear about more game that utilize it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nierensieb
Germany
flag msg tools
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) does this (sort of) with the strategy cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks,

I was aware of "San Juan" but would only consider it really as a gateway game to something better (like RfTG).

I'm also aware of "Roll for the Galaxy" but have ruled it out on the basis that I don't like the secret dice allocation behind screens. Too open to abuse (IMO).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm also aware of "Roll for the Galaxy" but have ruled it out on the basis that I don't like the secret dice allocation behind screens. Too open to abuse (IMO).

I'm amused by how diplomatic the rulebook is about cheating, it has a single paragraph on "etiquette" which states "As there is no way to verify players’ actions behind screens, this game relies on players taking care to not make mistakes."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm also aware of "Roll for the Galaxy" but have ruled it out on the basis that I don't like the secret dice allocation behind screens. Too open to abuse (IMO).

I'm amused by how diplomatic the rulebook is about cheating, it has a single paragraph on "etiquette" which states "As there is no way to verify players’ actions behind screens, this game relies on players taking care to not make mistakes."

Maybe the creators assumed that everyone playing would be respectable human beings who are above cheating in a game shake (Can't believe there are actually adults out there who cheat). Roll is a wonderful game, as is its predecessor.

San Juan is great too- I may actually like it better than Puerto Rico... but since the OP isn't interested in these games I guess I'm in the wrong thread. Leaving now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think other Carl Chudyk games have something similar. Impulse has players adding cards to an "Impulse" with actions that benefit them more than their opponents. Unlike RftG it's not simultaneous but the other players will be able to use the action you added to the Impulse on their turn. I've not played it (but I want to).

There's Glory to Rome & it's other re-implementation Uchronia of course but you have Mottainai.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, "Impulse" is on my radar, definitely want to acquire soon.

I just wondered if there were any more that I hadn't heard of...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I just wondered if there were any more that I hadn't heard of...

Probably, but since I don't know what you've heard of

If I think of anything else I'll post it (even if you've heard of it it may be useful to someone else). I'm interested too - it seems like there should be lots of games which do something like that as it's a mechanism that potentially gives interesting decisions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I only played half a game over a year ago, but I believe Eminent Domain has that mechanism of the active player's role choice allows other players to do a piece of that action as well.

Edit: took a look at the manual in the files here to confirm that it does have this mechanic. After the active player chooses a role and resolves its action, other players have the opportunity to do the same action (without the leader bonus) or draw a card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
wamsp wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm also aware of "Roll for the Galaxy" but have ruled it out on the basis that I don't like the secret dice allocation behind screens. Too open to abuse (IMO).

I'm amused by how diplomatic the rulebook is about cheating, it has a single paragraph on "etiquette" which states "As there is no way to verify players’ actions behind screens, this game relies on players taking care to not make mistakes."


What kind of people would cheat at a board game, especially where there's no money involved, and why would anyone play with them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain + Escalation expansion. Very good game and lots of selecting roles although in a different way to RftG. I think it's a better game, much slicker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listening to reviews ofVia Nebula, it appears it works in this way. The paths that you clear of fog become available for everyone to use, not just your character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I don't know if that best describes the mechanism that I'm after but I'm basically looking for games that are the opposite of worker placement or action drafting games. In those games what one player does denies other players the opportunity to do the same. In "action activation" games, what one player picks enables other players to do the same.

For instance in Race for the Galaxy players pick roles simultaneously and what each player picks also allows their opponents to use that role. Other examples are Puerto Rico, Mottainai and Tiny Epic Galaxies. But what I really like about RfTG is that it combines this mechanism with simultaneous action selection.

But generally what other good games are there that use this mechanism?


The mechanic is usually called "role selection". Here's a bunch of them:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/147373/games-role-selecti...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Would you consider games that do both, like Le Havre and Simurgh, as meeting the criteria? Both have traditional blocking, but players also create new action spaces that are then available for everyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
deedob wrote:
The mechanic is usually called "role selection". Here's a bunch of them:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/147373/games-role-selecti...

Not really, at least not necessarily. Citadels (for instance) is a classic "role selection" game that certainly doesn't fit the criteria of an "action activation" game that I'm looking for in particular here. Although there is definitely a large overlap.
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Would you consider games that do both, like Le Havre and Simurgh, as meeting the criteria? Both have traditional blocking, but players also create new action spaces that are then available for everyone.

I couldn't say as I haven't played either but they I have to admit that they do sound interesting generally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.