48.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep this short as my work day is coming to an end and I lost my original draft of this to a browser crash:

Descent arrives for me tomorrow. In the bevy of options I'll have:

1) Heris of Blood + all three small box side quest options.
2) Road to Legend.
3) Forgotten Souls analogue co-op.

My core group is composed of two (myself included), and though my girlfriend isn't apposed to the 1v1 styled play of traditional Descent, it was the cooperative potential that prompted the purchase.

My thinking:

Naturally, Road to Legend is the prize, but I have a "best for last" mentality at times. Heirs of Blood, though not optimal at this player count, would help reinforce the core rules, but might be best approached when we not only appreciate Descent's fundamentals, but also have another player. Forgotten Souls is.. well.. honestly I'm not sure. Can't say I'm excited for those POD adventures, but I figured having them wouldn't hurt. Playing them before Road to Legend seems smart (who wants to move backwards in quality?), but I'm unsure how good those PODs are for learning the game (i.e. would it leave a bad impression?).

I'm aware that all three flow differently from each other, what with the alterations to minor elements in RtL (activation order), and the POD scenario's radical restructuring of advancement stuff.

Thoughts? Thanks.

p.s. I'm aware the hero player (my girlfriend) would need to run 2 at once. This is another potential nail in the coffin for making it the best learning experience. That said, she is a pro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RtL all the way. Play the tutorial to familiarize yourself with the rules for the app and go through the first mini campaign. Keep in mind that you will need a strong understanding of the base game rules as the tutorial only helps with the new rules for RtL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
I suggest at last one play on a intro mission from the normal campaign, to understand better the core rules.

Alternatively:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93172/heroes-quickstart-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hebert
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Start with the Introduction Quest from Heirs of Blood. I have yet to play it, but if it's anything like the Shadow Rune Intro, it'll be short and a nice introduction to the rules.

I would recommend jumping into Forgotten Souls after that. The PoD's are a fun coop for 2, 3, or 4 heroes. I'm not a fan of RtL, since they use Star Wars: Imperial Assault rules (unless they changed it recently).

To clarify, standard Descent turns play out via teams. All heroes act together in a single hero round (Round 1), then the Overlord activates all his/her monsters (Round 2), then all the heroes act again (Round 3), etc.

With Road to Legend, the team strategy becomes more of an individual strategy. A single hero starts the game (Round 1), then a single monster group takes its turn (Round 2), then the second hero starts their turn (Round 3), then the second monster group (Round 4), then the third hero starts their turn (Round 5), etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solstice tide
msg tools
I would say go with RTL the rise of goblins tutorial campaign. Wife and I learned the game that way myself and have been loving RTL. Now I am all in on descent all expansions purchased and painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that playing at least one mission on standard rules is the best way to familiarize with the system as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
I think the RtL tutorial mission is hard as nails for new players. Me and my girlfriend (she is a pretty good gamer, both board and computer/console, and I'm hardcore ) bought this game after trying one or two missions at a friend's boardgame night (two/three years ago). We fell in love with the game back then, so why not own it ourselves, and the app would give us that epic game in Co-op.

We started playing the tutorial with two heroes (also remembering the two player extra attact/heal rule) and was basically kicked in the face from the start. All the time, on the brink of dying, because of the weird start of the level (you'll know what I mean). My girlfriend always got the short end of the stick, causing the app to be very cruel to her character ALL THE GODDAMN TIME!

We did manage to go through this mission, but only barely! It is HARD! Way too hard for a tutorial. And out of my experience, not recommended as a "first go" mission. They might have patched it since, though, so maybe it is a bit better now. I can't remember well enough how the Shadow Rune Intro was, but at least then, you can "make it challenging enough" to keep it interesting, instead of breaking the moral of the players from the start. Also, what you see is what you get. The whole map is laid out in front of you. Easier to grasp the whole picture, plan ahead and so on.

TLDR:
1) Play tutorial mission from the book.
2) Then play RtL, because it is really good! And coop is awesome! (I haven't tried Forgotten Souls, so cannot comment on it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
At first I thought I'd just play the tutorial quest with my newbie group, and then play RtL because it's co-op.

But then 1 of the players took to being the OL big-time. He complained I was a flat narrator and started reading all the flavor text himself in Monty Python British, much to everyone's amusement, so I just ceded the OL role to him.

He then started bragging about how he'll use both his business acumen and military tactics skills to clobber us, how Monopoly reflects life and that's why he always beats us in Monopoly and that's why he'll beat us now, etc. Doing a great job being someone we love to hate.

And he wouldn't give up for anything. In the 1st Encounter of A Fat Goblin, he already managed to abscond with 3 harvest tokens before our bedraggled party finally cornered 1 token for ourselves. I expected the Encounter to end in 1 more turn (take harvest token to farmhouse), it was getting late, so I expected him to call it a night.

Nope. Lots of OL cards were played. Big monster comeback. We almost lost even that 1 token. Took like 5 more turns for us to finally get that token and turn it in.

The next day he complained that if I had given him the Plot decks he could have won (even more). I didn't put them out because this is our 1st game... I think we're gonna be continuing with standard PvP Descent.

(He's our boss btw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilson
United Kingdom
NEWTOWNABBEY
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
At first I thought I'd just play the tutorial quest with my newbie group, and then play RtL because it's co-op.

But then 1 of the players took to being the OL big-time. He complained I was a flat narrator and started reading all the flavor text himself in Monty Python British, much to everyone's amusement, so I just ceded the OL role to him.

He then started bragging about how he'll use both his business acumen and military tactics skills to clobber us, how Monopoly reflects life and that's why he always beats us in Monopoly and that's why he'll beat us now, etc. Doing a great job being someone we love to hate.

And he wouldn't give up for anything. In the 1st Encounter of A Fat Goblin, he already managed to abscond with 3 harvest tokens before our bedraggled party finally cornered 1 token for ourselves. I expected the Encounter to end in 1 more turn (take harvest token to farmhouse), it was getting late, so I expected him to call it a night.

Nope. Lots of OL cards were played. Big monster comeback. We almost lost even that 1 token. Took like 5 more turns for us to finally get that token and turn it in.

The next day he complained that if I had given him the Plot decks he could have won (even more). I didn't put them out because this is our 1st game... I think we're gonna be continuing with standard PvP Descent.

(He's our boss btw.)

Sounds like you're living an episode of the Office. Your boss is David Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.