Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of dice cancellation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the defender rolls dice any 4-5 cancel a hit chosen by the attacker, and when they roll a 6 the defender decide which attack die to cancel. What isn't defined is the order that this occurs in.

Lets say an attack scored two hits and one crits and the defender rolled 4 and 6. If the attacker cleared dice first they could force a damage result by taking away the crit first leaving the defender to cancel one damage; however if the defender only wanted damage they could take away the crit first.

If the attack is one hit and 2 crits against a 4 and 6 defence result if the attacker cancels first they can force a crit only result, whereas if the defender cancels first they can either force a crit result or leave it up to attacker to decide between a crit or a hit.

These cases generally lead to the same outcome but it isn't sure who controls the flow there.

What order to people normally use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defender does the cancelling. So the 4 cancels a hit, the 6 cancels the crit, leaving one hit left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
Defender does the cancelling.

The defender only gets to pick what is cancelled when they roll a 6, on a 4-5 the attacker can decide. You can remove crits or damage, your choice.

I think I see an answer in the example text on page 12 and 13 where it lists the attacker removing one hit and then the defender (though it isn't explicit this is the order).

If it read "and then each 6 cancels..." it would be clearer to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It shouldn't matter who goes first in your examples. In example one (two hits, once crit), if both players want to cancel a hit each, then the crit gets through. Otherwise, a hit gets through. Example two is just the reverse. If both players each cancel a crit, the hit gets through. Otherwise, one crit gets through.

I think in the games I've played, generally the defender has been cancelling first, but there were probably times where the attacker did their cancelling first as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I don't think it matters much - generally, it comes down to who has the final say in whether the Hit or Crit goes through. And many of those cases can only occur if both players decide they want the same result. So, in practice, it's really quite rare that it will make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
So, in practice, it's really quite rare that it will make a difference.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, I just want to figure out what would happen if one lot wanted to force one result and another a different result and the order of cancellation was the only way to determine.

I'm probably just bringing some X-Wing expectations across to the game where they cover cases like this by having a well defined order of events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would say that the Attacker, as the active participant in the attack, would be the one to choose first. The defender, as the reactive player, would then get to (or be forced to) make the final decision - assuming the Attacker did not force them toward the other path (so, in the 2/1 Hit/Crit or 1/2 Hit/Crit scenarios, one player either confirms the choice, or forces it on the other player, and the only way the minority choice goes through is if both players want it to). Generally speaking, you're going to see the Attacker trying to keep the crits (which average out to approximately 1.5 damage and have some really nasty effects), while the Defender wants to negate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.