Popular Tags: [View All]
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
There Is No Shelter From The Storm
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered the joy that is Wings of Glory, when an eBay seller accidentally sent me a Duel Pack, instead of the game I ordered. After a couple of solo plays, I decided to go in on the game, and purchased a dozen Airplane Packs. The package arrived, and upon opening one of the biplanes, I was saddened to learn that 3 of the 4 contact points had become separated, before the box had been opened. I was able to remove the biplane from the package without further damage. I emailed Ares, informing them of the damage on one of the twelve planes I had purchased, and asking them if they could send a replacement one. They responded by asking me for pictures of the damage. Here is where the "fun" begins. As I lifted the top wing enough, so that daylight could be seen between the contact points, the last contact point broke, and everything but the top wing crashed to floor - resulting in a broken propeller. I took a picture of everything, and explained to them what had just happened in an effort to provide pictures. They responded by recommending a superglue, to repair the plane.

Seriously? Ares doesn't stand behind the products they sell. As a result, they just lost a customer. A customer who was likely going to buy the complete WWI set of planes and accessories. Good job, Ares!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Unicorn/Banjo,

fortunately, hundreds of other customers can witness that our customer care is not as awful as you think, and probably waiting for a further reply from our customer care would have been enough to avoid getting upset without need.

In your first mail, you complained about the detached wing, and you explicitly requested either a replacement, or glue - this was interpreted (or possibly, misinterprted, judging by your reaction) by our customer care person as an intention to fix the model yourself, as many of our customer care with a small, remediable problem on their models do. So, she followed with a suggestion of the appropriate glue to fix, assuming that was what you wanted and asked for.

I am sure you (and everybody) agree that the fall and further breakage of your airplane is not our responsibility - I think that you agree the same thing happening to a phone or TV set would NOT be followed up with a prompt replacement of the item you broke.

That said, you have already been contacted by our customer care to replace your broken airplane model (assuming you are still interested in it), as we did in many cases - in every case, in fact, where customers did not say they were interested in glue instead!

Best regards,
Roberto Di Meglio (Ares Games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further breakage? shake Broken is broken.

I think it's funny that you didn't respond to my initial email response after you recommended glue, but waited until I both posted here AND sent a second email informing you that I returned the non-broken planes for a refund. Wings of Glory is an enjoyable game. I just wish another company made it. Keep your plane. I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
- Further breakage: not really the same, as you may find out if you live the same experience with any other item you purchase. If my phone battery breaks, I can claim the guarantee. If after that, the phone falls and splinter into pieces, whatever problem I may have before that episode does not matter anymore, because the guarantee is now void.
If you buy a game and it misses the board, you may have it replaced. But if your dog than starts chewing on the box, I think you'd have a hard time returning it to your vendor.
That said, the "further breakage" does not change our approach, as we offerred to replace the plane in any case.

- Just to put "You Did not respond" in context for anybody else who might have an interest in this thread:

Ares' Customer care response suggesting the kind of glue to use:
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Your "I won't buy anything more from your company" reply:
Aug 10, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Your SECOND mail indicating you returned the airplanes to your vendor, without waiting for our further reply:
August 11, 2016 5:38 AM

Customer care response offering the replacement:
August 11, 2016 4:05 PM

I am not sure what is the kind of customer care you get by "another company" but it seems to me that a same-day or next-day response time is at least "pretty decent" customer care, rather than "awful".

Then, the call is yours, of course.

Best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they say, you cannot please everyone. Keep making great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
- Further breakage: not really the same, as you may find out if you live the same experience with any other item you purchase. If my phone battery breaks, I can claim the guarantee. If after that, the phone falls and splinter into pieces, whatever problem I may have before that episode does not matter anymore, because the guarantee is now void.
If you buy a game and it misses the board, you may have it replaced. But if your dog than starts chewing on the box, I think you'd have a hard time returning it to your vendor.
That said, the "further breakage" does not change our approach, as we offerred to replace the plane in any case.

- Just to put "You Did not respond" in context for anybody else who might have an interest in this thread:

Ares' Customer care response suggesting the kind of glue to use:
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM

Your "I won't buy anything more from your company" reply:
Aug 10, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Your SECOND mail indicating you returned the airplanes to your vendor, without waiting for our further reply:
August 11, 2016 5:38 AM

Customer care response offering the replacement:
August 11, 2016 4:05 PM

I am not sure what is the kind of customer care you get by "another company" but it seems to me that a same-day or next-day response time is at least "pretty decent" customer care, rather than "awful".

Then, the call is yours, of course.

Best regards.

The phone screen and the battery are 2 separate things. A broken plane, is a broken plane. A game board and a box are 2 separate things. A broken plane is a broken plane. If the plane is not broken, the pictures YOU requested are not necessary. That you're arguing on this point is indicative of the poor level of customer service one can expect from you.

The goal shouldn't be "pretty decent" customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Yes the plane was broken but clearly it was a simple misunderstanding on Ares part about what you wanted done to resolve the issue. As soon as they realized you wanted the plane replaced, they offered you a replacement. Whenever I have received a broken part from Ares, I have asked for a replacement and they have replaced the part without question. By all means, do not buy their products if you are unsatisfied with them, but to me the description of the events above do not constitute “awful customer service”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brigade wrote:
Yes the plane was broken but clearly it was a simple misunderstanding on Ares part about what you wanted done to resolve the issue. As soon as they realized you wanted the plane replaced, they offered you a replacement. Whenever I have received a broken part from Ares, I have asked for a replacement and they have replaced the part without question. By all means, do not buy their products if you are unsatisfied with them, but to me the description of the events above do not constitute “awful customer service”.

Yes, as soon as they realized what I wanted done - via multiple emails, and ultimately THIS thread.

I do think it's funny that they replaced the part for you without question, but asked me to take a photograph of the broken plane. Had they extended the same level of customer service to me, as they did to you, I would have continued buying the company's products. Instead I was asked to prove that the plane was broken. Nope. Sorry. Awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
b a n j o wrote:
brigade wrote:

Yes, as soon as they realized what I wanted done - via multiple emails, and ultimately THIS thread.

I do think it's funny that they replaced the part for you without question, but asked me to take a photograph of the broken plane. Had they extended the same level of customer service to me, as they did to you, I would have continued buying the company's products. Instead I was asked to prove that the plane was broken. Nope. Sorry. Awful.

I had broken ships from Sails of Glory and they did ask me for a photograph before they sent replacements. When I said they sent parts without question, I meant that they did not then hesitate to replace them when I asked for replacements but they did want a photograph. I also did not suggest to Ares that I wanted to know how to repair them, I just asked for replacements.

I do not see it as a problem that they ask for a photograph. I do not know what Ares reasons for requiring a photograph is but I can think of two possible reasons: 1) it provides Ares feedback on what is breaking during shipping and if it is a common problem they can try to resolve it so it does not happen in the future, and 2) it reduces false claims by people to get replacements for parts that are not broken or they never purchased. Sending in a photograph does not seem like an unreasonable request to me but you obviously disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
brigade wrote:

Look up awful in the dictionary. I don't think that you know what it means

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Crimm
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think based on what we've read that Unicorn is one of those customers that anybody who has ever worked a CSR-related job wakes up in cold sweats over.

Entitled, "I'm always right because I'm the customer" and just plain boorish. Good on Ares for handling them the way they did, the customer should honestly be ashamed of themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very good experience with the customer service of Ares. I once bought sails of glory ships of which some were delivered with one mast broken. I got promptly free replacements from Ares.
For me the Ares customer service is not "pretty decent", it's excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.