Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Coffee
United States
Peachtree Corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
[edited Subject after below 2 answers. Thank you]

Copied from rulebook - Tour Tickets may be positively scored one of two ways when completed successfully:

MORE "If a player completes the ticket with the correct route in the exact order, he gains points equal to the higher value shown in the bottom-left corner of the card."

LESS "If a player completes the ticket, but cannot trace a route exactly as shown on the card, he gains points equal to the lower value shown in the bottom-left corner of the card."

I'm a little confused with the MORE points portion that states "correct route in the exact order". Do I have to go from City 1 to City 2 to City 3 to City 4 in that order (which I think the rules state) OR just have to copy the Tour Ticket by the end of the game (even if I did Route 3, then 1 then 2)?

I don't understand how the exact order may be verified? I'm not playing with people I can not trust, so I'm not worried. But I'm not sure I would remember for myself (especially if I have more than 1 Tour Ticket).

Per the rules, does one show a completed Tour Ticket during the game or at game end per the rules (I read the rules that it would be game end)?

If I have to compete Route 1, 2 and 3 in that order, am I able to complete a different route in between (Route 1, 2, A, 3) and still count?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tour Ticket scoring - slight confusion with "exact order"
My understanding is that, at game end, you must be able to trace the cities in order, in the same way as you trace longest route in the base game.

This isn't official, but what else could it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tour Ticket scoring - slight confusion with "exact order"
Hello

Eric Brosius wrote:
My understanding is that, at game end, you must be able to trace the cities in order, in the same way as you trace longest route in the base game.

What Eric says...

If at the end of the game, you can trace the cities in order (1 to 2 to 3...) by following only trains/boats of your color, you score the highest points.
If all the cities on the ticket are linked but you cannot trace the cities in order, you score the lowest positive value
But if you're missing one of the cities on the Destination Ticket you lose the points on the right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played the game yet, so my initial and not-fully-informed impression of the Tour Tickets is that they seem like a huge risk for not that great of a reward. I feel like completing one in the perfect order should be worth more than you stand to lose for not completing it at all, considering how likely it is that someone will block a vital link between any two of those cities (especially in a 2-player game).

However, the bonus for having a harbor city as one of your destinations may help mitigate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How about this this:

I complete a Tour Ticket (I think we're agreed that it doesn't matter which leg of the Tour I complete first/second etc during the actual game, as long as it's complete by the end of the game).

I trace the route of my Tour, going directly from city 1, to city 2, to city 3, to city 4, in that precise order. Maximum points.

But would i still get maximum points if I complete the Tour in the correct order (ie I can trace a line beginning at city 1 and ending at city 4) BUT I don't take a direct route BETWEEN each numbered city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can say that the order is "correct" solely because you can trace a path from the first city to the last city by going through the others in a non-specified order.

The rules say, "If a player completes the ticket with the correct route in the exact order, he gains points equal to the higher value shown in the bottom-left corner of the card. If a player completes the ticket, but cannot trace a route exactly as shown on the card, he gains points equal to the lower value shown in the bottom-left corner of the card."

If "exact order" is not clear, I think that "exactly as shown on the card" is.

I suppose that you would fail to complete a tour ticket (entirely) if and only if there are two cities named on the ticket between which you have no connection. (If there is a connection between each pair, then there is some path that goes through all of them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I interpreted the question more like this:

The tour ticket says I need to connect cities A->B->C->D, in that order.

Someone else blocked the direct connection between 2 and 3. So the route I ended up building is more like A->B->E->C->D. All four cities on that ticket are still connected in that order, with no branching or backtracking required, but I have a stopover between two of them. Do I still get full credit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In other Ticket to Ride games, is is not required to connect cities on a ticket directly (with no city in between).

In fact, such connections are not possible in the vast majority of cases.

But the rules for tour tickets say "a route exactly as shown on the card" and not just "in the exact order" - so perhaps you are correct that a stop along the way would not be allowed.

That said, it does not appear that the tour ticket cards illustrate the connections differently from other tickets - which would have been helpful if the intent had been to deny such stops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Game Photography
mbmbmbmbmb
beewee wrote:
Hello

Eric Brosius wrote:

What Eric says...

If at the end of the game, you can trace the cities in order (1 to 2 to 3...) by following only trains/boats of your color, you score the highest points.
If all the cities on the ticket are linked but you cannot trace the cities in order, you score the lowest positive value
But if you're missing one of the cities on the Destination Ticket you lose the points on the right...

Then the German rules are wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beewee's answer, if it is official (he identifies himself as being from DoW), would seem to resolve the question that murlough23 asked and about which I wondered.

beewee wrote, "If at the end of the game, you can trace the cities in order (1 to 2 to 3...) by following only trains/boats of your color, you score the highest points."

There is nothing to suggest that you would not receive those points if non-named cities intervened.

But I am not sure MeeplePeat means about the German rules.

On this point, the English rules invite two readings (because of the "exactly as shown on the card" language in one place), while the German rules use "in der angegebenen Reihenfolge" (corresponding to the less ambiguous of the English alternatives, "in the exact order") consistently in both places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I had our first playthrough of the World Map tonight. Surprisingly, the Tour Tickets we kept weren't that tough to complete, mostly in order, though my wife had one out of order and the difference was only 4 points. The rest were all completed in the exact order shown on the ticket with no detours. In a 2-player game, I expected that to be a lot harder... it possibly could be if you both start building in the same area of the map, I guess.

I still maintain that they're a lot of trouble for relatively few points; however I now see that they can be quite valuable if you place your harbors strategically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
beewee's answer, if it is official (he identifies himself as being from DoW), would seem to resolve the question that murlough23 asked and about which I wondered.

beewee wrote, "If at the end of the game, you can trace the cities in order (1 to 2 to 3...) by following only trains/boats of your color, you score the highest points."

There is nothing to suggest that you would not receive those points if non-named cities intervened.

But I am not sure MeeplePeat means about the German rules.

On this point, the English rules invite two readings (because of the "exactly as shown on the card" language in one place), while the German rules use "in der angegebenen Reihenfolge" (corresponding to the less ambiguous of the English alternatives, "in the exact order") consistently in both places.

Adding the French rules:
Quote:
À la fin de la partie, s’il est possible de partir de la première ville de la carte et de
rejoindre la dernière en passant par les autres villes dans l’ordre indiqué, le joueur
marque la valeur maximale de la carte. Si les villes sont reliées entre elles mais qu’il n’est pas possible de tracer la route indiquée telle quelle (dans le bon ordre), il marque la seconde valeur indiquée. S’il manque ne serait-ce qu’une seule ville dans le parcours, le joueur marque les points inscrits en négatif.

In English that should be something like ”At the end of the play, if it’s possible to leave the first city of the card and reach the last, passing the other cities in the indicated order, the player get the maximum value of the card.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Peachtree Corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Sven F. The French seems to explain everything very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I stand by the way I explained earlier...

murlough23 wrote:
I interpreted the question more like this:

The tour ticket says I need to connect cities A->B->C->D, in that order.

Someone else blocked the direct connection between 2 and 3. So the route I ended up building is more like A->B->E->C->D. All four cities on that ticket are still connected in that order, with no branching or backtracking required, but I have a stopover between two of them. Do I still get full credit?

In this case, you would still get full credit as A, B, C and D are crossed in the correct order (increasing numbers on the card). The fact that there is a stopover in the middle is not an issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine P.
France
Paris
Île-de-France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, let me add a few images to help here.

This is the best case scenario. All cities are connected, and at the end of the game, you can start from Anchorage and pass through Cambridge Bay, THEN Reykjavik, THEN Murmansk, and end your route in Tiksi. Note that the route from Murmansk to Tiksi is not direct; it does not matter and that player would still get all their points. (ie 34)

Also note that the order in which that player claimed these tracks does not matter at all. What is important is what he can do at the end of the game. This is the only question that you need to ask yourself: Can I trace a route from the first city to the last, passing through the others in the given order? If the answer is yes, then you're ok.

Now this is somewhat different. As you can see, in this case, the answer to the previous question is no. All cities are connected, but not in the correct order. They are connected though, and that player still gets 23 points.

A variant of the previous case. Still 23 points as all cities are connected but in the wrong order.

Now this is the worst-case scenario and a penalty of 40 points, since Anchorage is not connected to the other cities (I put that example here just to complete the explanation but this one is pretty obvious).

Now, I fail to see how the German rules are incorrect. From what I read, it says
Quote:
Wenn ein Spieler es schafft, alle Städte so zu verbinden, dass sie in der angegebenen Reihenfolge angefahren werden können, erhält er (am Ende) den höchsten auf der Karte angegebenen Punktwert. Verbindet der Spieler zwar alle Städte, jedoch ohne dass sie in der angegebenen Reihenfolge angefahren werden können, erhält er den mittleren Punktwert.

This is exactly the same idea here. As long as all cities are connected, if you can trace a route from the first one to the last one in the given order, then you score the highest value. If you cannot do that, then you score the second value.

Hope it helps.

Antoine@DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Coffee
United States
Peachtree Corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I believe Antoine just closed this thread. Thanks everyone for playing. Everything is crystal clear now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

lcoffee wrote:
I believe Antoine just closed this thread. Thanks everyone for playing. Everything is crystal clear now.

Almost, just to clarify...

_Tiberias_ wrote:

A variant of the previous case. Still 23 points as all cities are connected but in the wrong order.

As long as all cities are connected, if you can trace a route from the first one to the last one in the given order, then you score the highest value. If you cannot do that, then you score the second value.

So, in the case that the player had also built the route direct from Reykjavik to Murmansk (marked on this picture in orange) i.e a "mandala", would they still score the higher number of points?

Thanks,

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

lcoffee wrote:

Almost, just to clarify...

_Tiberias_ wrote:

As long as all cities are connected, if you can trace a route from the first one to the last one in the given order, then you score the highest value. If you cannot do that, then you score the second value.

So, in the case that the player had also built the route direct from Reykjavik to Murmansk (marked on this picture in orange) i.e a "mandala", would they still score the higher number of points?

Thanks,

Susie_Cat.

Of course. The fact that an indirect path from Reykjavik to Murmansk also exists is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's generally the case in these games that you will never lose points by adding a route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I actually kept the ticket pictured above at the beginning of a game today, just to see if I could pull it off. I connected the 5 cities in order as shown on the ticket, except for the first connection between Anchorage and Cambridge Bay, which I made via Vancouver and Winnipeg, rather than directly. I took the discussion above to mean that I should get full credit for that ticket.

However, another interesting question popped into my head. What if I had connected to Cambridge Bay as a dead-end from Winnipeg, then doubled back through Winnipeg to get to Reykjavik? So the full route would have been Anchorage-Vancouver-Winnipeg-Cambridge Bay-Winnipeg-New York-Reykjavik-Murmansk-Tiksi. As the rules state, I can still traverse all 5 cities in order via my own trains. I'm just reusing a city that's not on the ticket as a waypoint.

It seems that "no branching or doubling back" would fit the spirit of the law here, but not necessarily the letter of the law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see if beewee weighs in, but here is how I think about it.

It seems that there are two options (simplified for a 3-city ticket A-B-C):

1. You get full points if you have the following paths:
- A to B without going through C.
- B to C without going through A.
(For A-B-C-D, you would need A-B without going through C or D, etc.)

2. You get full points if you have the following paths that share no individual routes:
- A to B.
- B to C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sokalski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The instructions say:

"but cannot trace a route exactly as shown on the card"

To me, this means:

A->B->C->D->E

With no extra routes in between, otherwise it would not be "exactly as shown on the card"

I figured the reason for the strict ("exactly") requirements is the reason for the lower number of points (so that if somebody claims one of those routes first you can still get the lower points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njsokalski wrote:
The instructions say:

"but cannot trace a route exactly as shown on the card"

To me, this means:

A->B->C->D->E

With no extra routes in between, otherwise it would not be "exactly as shown on the card"

I figured the reason for the strict ("exactly") requirements is the reason for the lower number of points (so that if somebody claims one of those routes first you can still get the lower points).

Is it really the case that, for every Tour Ticket, each pair of adjacent cities can be connected by a single route?

Even if it is, Franck from DoW confirmed that it is acceptable to go through other cities - as long as those cities aren't named on the ticket.

See this post.

Notice that the German rules use "in der angegebenen Reihenfolge" (in the given order) rather than the stricter (and perhaps unintentionally stronger) English, "exactly as shown on the card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine P.
France
Paris
Île-de-France
flag msg tools
mb
murlough23 wrote:
However, another interesting question popped into my head. What if I had connected to Cambridge Bay as a dead-end from Winnipeg, then doubled back through Winnipeg to get to Reykjavik? So the full route would have been Anchorage-Vancouver-Winnipeg-Cambridge Bay-Winnipeg-New York-Reykjavik-Murmansk-Tiksi. As the rules state, I can still traverse all 5 cities in order via my own trains. I'm just reusing a city that's not on the ticket as a waypoint.

Good question, the answer is that you cannot re-use the same route for your tour ticket. Here you are using two times the Cambridge Bay-Winnipeg route. This wouldn't work.

gillum wrote:
Even if it is, Franck from DoW confirmed that it is acceptable to go through other cities - as long as those cities aren't named on the ticket.

I do confirm that as well.

Antoine@DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Tiberias_ wrote:
murlough23 wrote:

Good question, the answer is that you cannot re-use the same route for your tour ticket. Here you are using two times the Cambridge Bay-Winnipeg route. This wouldn't work.

In such a case, would you get no points at all, or just the smaller number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.