Subject: Limited Actions in Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played through the game three times and loved it so I thought I would try out the solo game. I can't figure out how it's possible to win, however.
As I see it, oxygen levels need to be increased 14 times, temperature 19 times, as well as adding 9 ocean tiles to the board, with 2 "freebies" comes out to 40 placements or increases total. How is that remotely possible with a time limit of 14 turns with only 28 actions? There are a handful of cards that add multiple tiles or increase temperature but not nearly enough. What am I getting wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet, so I'm not 100% sure, but as I understand it, the solo game lasts for 14 generations, but you can have as many actions as you want per generation. So, in other words, take as many actions as you can until you need to produce again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
zachcarter wrote:
I don't have the game yet, so I'm not 100% sure, but as I understand it, the solo game lasts for 14 generations, but you can have as many actions as you want per generation. So, in other words, take as many actions as you can until you need to produce again.

More actions in a turn would make sense. With the 2 action limit, your income begins to far exceed any expenses and calculating production every turn seems pointless. There should be some limit to actions in a turn though- otherwise you could just focus on economy and VPs for 14 turns then plop down enough oceans, heat, and oxygen to win. Doesn't feel very thematic that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sneego wrote:
zachcarter wrote:

More actions in a turn would make sense. With the 2 action limit, your income begins to far exceed any expenses and calculating production every turn seems pointless. There should be some limit to actions in a turn though- otherwise you could just focus on economy and VPs for 14 turns then plop down enough oceans, heat, and oxygen to win. Doesn't feel very thematic that way.

There is a limit on actions per turn (1 or 2 actions). However there is no limit on number of turns per generation. Which in the solo game basically means you take as many actions in a row as you want each generation.

I read through the solo (and multiplayer) rules again and didn't find anything about a limit on the turns (and hence actions) you can take per generation. It's just that in the multiplayer game you can only take 1 or 2 actions before letting another player take a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hasse
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that raising each of the parameters raises your Terraforming Rating, which is also your M€ production. So it's well worth it to terraform throughout the game, even in solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
zachcarter wrote:

There is a limit on actions per turn (1 or 2 actions). However there is no limit on number of turns per generation. Which in the solo game basically means you take as many actions in a row as you want each generation.

I read through the solo (and multiplayer) rules again and didn't find anything about a limit on the turns (and hence actions) you can take per generation. It's just that in the multiplayer game you can only take 1 or 2 actions before letting another player take a turn.

Ahh that's what I was looking for. I missed the part about taking actions until everyone passes. Definitely should reduce the number of generations in future games. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In both solo and multiplayer, the amount of actions is unlimited, but the resources are what limits you. Starting off in the solo game with some production is a good strategy, but you need to start Terraforming pretty soon if you want to complete it by the end of 14 generations. Even with a really good production, say 70M€ in the last generation, only raises the cheapest parameter 5 steps (temperature).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this same mistake.

However, I played my first solo play last night. I fell 8 mega credits short of placing my ocean tile that would have given me the win. I decided to keep some horrible cards in the middle portion of the game and it hurt me bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fleetwood
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
Can I take unlimited actions with "Nitrite Reducing Bacteria"in the solo game? If so, you enter an infinite loop of actions and increase your terraform rating "Ad infinitum". Surely I'm doing something wrong. I need help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming it's a blue action card? Any of those can only be activated once per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fleetwood18 wrote:
Can I take unlimited actions with "Nitrite Reducing Bacteria"in the solo game? If so, you enter an infinite loop of actions and increase your terraform rating "Ad infinitum". Surely I'm doing something wrong. I need help.

No, you can only use the action once per generation, so when it is played you can spend an action to spend the original 3 microbes for 1 TR increase. Then in the next 3 generations add 1 microbe each generation, followed by spending 3 for a TR increase in the 4th generation before beginning the process again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
fleetwood18 wrote:

No, you can only use the action once per generation, so when it is played you can spend an action to spend the original 3 microbes for 1 TR increase. Then in the next 3 generations add 1 microbe each generation, followed by spending 3 for a TR increase in the 4th generation before beginning the process again.

Or with help of other blue card actions, add more microbes to this card so you can take out your TR more often, even every generation is possible with the right cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fleetwood
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response. Now it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.