Hide
18 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: In colony overrun, who dies first? Unruly or normal helpless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just
msg tools
For example, zombies overrun the colony and there are no survivors there but there are two helpless survivors (one normal and one unruly). Who dies first? What is done to choose between the two to die? I do not see anything about this in the rule book. A random choice between the two will impact the game. Seems like a miss in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: In colony overrun, who dies first? Unruly or helpless?
I think Isaac had said in a recent play thru that if no player survivors are at the colony, then the game ends as no one is there to protect the helpless survivors.

https://youtu.be/9SlOsBsQyVI

Isaac's comment is near the end at the 30:30 mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just
msg tools
The rule with helpless dying is you lose a morale for each that dies. In the case of the video example the four dying pushed their morale to zero. This will not always be the case with helpless survivors dying if morale is high enough to withstand the deaths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously you didn't watch the video.
but, hey. good luck in figuring all that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there are only helpless survivors at the colony, kill a helpless suvivor

That is all it says. Not helpful. I suspect it's current player chooses (or first player during the maintenance parts of the round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest the Unruly ones first, not just because it means less food required, but thematically the noisy, stroppy bugger is going to attract the nibblers first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just
msg tools
tomaisin wrote:

I did watch the video, just late at night and my brain didn't process it. Sorry. I'm not going to go with this rule cause this actually contradicts the printed rules. I'm going to assume it was a home rule or something. Rules say to kill "a" helpless survivor, not all there, but doesn't specify order of type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just
msg tools
AMarsReject wrote:
I'd suggest the Unruly ones first, not just because it means less food required, but thematically the noisy, stroppy bugger is going to attract the nibblers first!

That can make sense thematically. Was just hoping something official would sprout up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomaisin wrote:

I think you've misunderstood what happened. If there a no survivors, you start killing off helpless survivors. In the game in the video, after they killed off the character survivors, they had 4 morale, 4'helpless survivors, and 4 more zombies to place.

Isaac realized that, and summarized that they would lose the game (because they had a zombie to place for each, and would lose a morale for each, bringing the morale to zero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arra Hepina
msg tools
guy244 wrote:
tomaisin wrote:

I did watch the video, just late at night and my brain didn't process it. Sorry. I'm not going to go with this rule cause this actually contradicts the printed rules. I'm going to assume it was a home rule or something. Rules say to kill "a" helpless survivor, not all there, but doesn't specify order of type.

I'm with you on this one. The rules (page 14) clearly state that you remove a helpless survivor and lose 1 morale if a location is overrun and only helpless survivors are present there. Neither rules or FAQ say anything about losing the game instantly if zombies overrun the colony with no player-controlled survivors present, so either Isaac just made a mistake (perhaps it was part of the rules at earlier iteration) or they house ruled it and forgot to mention it to the viewers.

wmreed wrote:

I think you've misunderstood what happened. If there a no survivors, you start killing off helpless survivors. In the game in the video, after they killed off the character survivors, they had 4 morale, 4'helpless survivors, and 4 more zombies to place.

Isaac realized that, and summarized that they would lose the game (because they had a zombie to place for each, and would lose a morale for each, bringing the morale to zero).

Welp, that explains it then. I also got the impression that he meant that they instantly lost because the colony is overrun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guy244 wrote:
For example, zombies overrun the colony and there are no survivors there but there are two helpless survivors (one normal and one unruly). Who dies first? What is done to choose between the two to die? I do not see anything about this in the rule book. A random choice between the two will impact the game. Seems like a miss in the rules.

Player choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess that the First Player has the choice of who kicks off first (could make for an interesting decision).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
tomaisin wrote:

Nope, you can clearly see there are only 2 characters, 10 helpless survivors in the colony and they started with 8 morale before the 4 zombie overrun.

I asked about this video here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21233585#21233585

hoping
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
would chime in, but he never did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I watched on a bigger screen and I was definitely wrong.

And so was Isaac.

P. 13 of the PDF Rulebook says

If there are only helpless survivors at the colony, kill a helpless survivor. If there are no survivors at the colony remove the zombie that would have been placed without further effect. Every time a survivor is killed (including a helpless survivor), decrease morale by 1.

You lose 1 helpless per over running zombie, helpless survivors may be at the colony alone.

Either Isaac was remembering an earlier draft of the rules, or he was tired of playing. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd probably say roll a dice and randomize which one gets eaten, you could either 50-50 it or if you have 1 unruly and 2 normal make the unruly a 5-6 and 1-4 one of the regular ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Unruly helpless counts as two Helpless for other game effects (for paying food and adding zombies). When one is killed does it move the morale track two steps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
An Unruly helpless counts as two Helpless for other game effects (for paying food and adding zombies). When one is killed does it move the morale track two steps?

Without a rule that says otherwise, I would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Without a rule that says otherwise, I would say no.

Thematically speaking it should really only count as half a point of morale. That would also make for an interesting dilemma when choosing which survivors to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.