7 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Oblivion/Teleport/Dark Heroquest/Malia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Am I understanding Oblivion correctly ? The Chaos player return the oblivion markers each power phase so he can use Oblivion once per enemy player each turn ? But units or buildings removed by oblivion are out permanently regardless of the oblivion markers ?

I'm asking because if you read the Gift, it give the impression that Oblivion is a once per game per faction thing, but the indication to return the oblivion markers are on the player sheet, wich is easy to miss and a bit confusing.

Incidentaly if the power work how I think, its freaking scary... Seems really hard to prevent Chaos from farming runes late in the game unless you want to anihilate your own units.

The other question is about Teleport. "If Thunder King transport a Greater God and/or uses this to exit Hell without permission pay 1 extra Power".

This mean there is not extra cost for leaving hell without permission with a Greater God right ? its still 1 extra power, not 2 ?

Next, the Dark Heroquest that require you to kill or destroy one unit or building from each faction for 2 Gifs. Greater Gods are valid target for this (except Yelm of course) ? This mean you can disable a Greater God as long as you don't finish the quest ?

And just one last thing. There is no way to attack Malia on the first turn because nobody as VP right ? You can't spend a VP you don't have I assume ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion : Don't know. I read it like you with the impression of a once per game per faction but...

Teleport : only 1 extra power, you're right !

Dark Heroquest : Yes you can disable a GG. Well i hope so...

Malia : Right. No VP -> No attack !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion: It resets during the Council Phase, IIRC (it's specified on the Chaos empire sheet)

Malia: Probably depends on the wording. If it says you must "Spend" 1 VP, then yeah, you're locked out of attacking her the first turn. But if it says "Lose" 1 VP, then I'd argue you can totally attack her the first turn, since the loss is a consequence of the action, rather than a prerequisite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording in the print n play is:

"Battle may only be declared in her area if the attacker first spends 1VP."

So, it would appear to be impossible in turn one.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
The wording in the print n play is:

"Battle may only be declared in her area if the attacker first spends 1VP."

So, it would appear to be impossible in turn one.

Cheers,
Graham

Indeed, and by the way, Chaos must pay if he wants to trigger a battle in Malia's area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Well I guess I was correct on everything then. Thx for confirming.

The Dark heroquest can be brutal for Chaos if you manage to disable Malia before Thed can be summoned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems really hard to prevent Chaos from farming runes late in the game unless you want to annihilate your own units.

Yep. Oblivion is once per turn per faction.

To get the maximum benefit from Oblivion, Chaos needs to be really aggressive, space out his Greater Gods (for Blood Sacrifice) and spread the love among ALL his opponents. After all he can get a Rune (or permanently eliminate a unit or building) from each of them every turn.

But in fact Chaos does farm Runes in the late game this way. Or at least he tries. The problem for Chaos is late in the game, when there is only 1-2 turns left, players start calculating that they can afford to lose a shrine or an Archer, and take the hit. Earlier in the game, they almost always drop a Rune when you shake the Oblivion tree. But earlier it's hard to pull off the kills. So it is kind of a two-edged sword that does require planning.

Also, because Chaos has only 6 buildings (which are easy to destroy), Chaos actually NEEDS the Rune-farming late game. A quiescent, passive Chaos is a losing Chaos.

The other question is about Teleport. "If Thunder King transport a Greater God and/or uses this to exit Hell without permission pay 1 extra Power". This mean there is not extra cost for leaving hell without permission with a Greater God right ? its still 1 extra power, not 2 ?

The "and/or" in the sentence is intended to indicate that if you move a Greater God from Hell with Thunder King, it only costs 1 extra power.

Next, the Dark Heroquest that require you to kill or destroy one unit or building from each faction for 2 Gifts. Greater Gods are valid target for this (except Yelm of course) ? This mean you can disable a Greater God as long as you don't finish the quest ?

Yes, of course. Two factors mitigating this are, first, usually Greater Gods are scarce while Darkness is working on this quest. Second, Darkness is powerfully motivated to finish this quest - it's not only two Gifts, but it also gives her a one-time Power boost, which generally comes into play near the end of the action phase, when it is the handiest.

And just one last thing. There is no way to attack Malia on the first turn because nobody as VP right ? You can't spend a VP you don't have I assume ?

The only way to attack Malia on the first turn is if you somehow get a Rune which you play to bump up your VP. Remember that Chaos can't attack in Malia's Area either (he has to pay the VP like anyone else.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.