Subject: 4 players with 3 animalfolk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle

Seabrook
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
I have gotten a few 2 and 4 players games and I've noticed some differences in the feel of the game depending on number of players.

In a 2 player game there are 3 animalfolk which helps you really feel the impact of the chosen animalfolk. The animal folk each reappear in the market and your deck frequently giving options where any animalfolk will be useful for building a stall.

In a 4 player game there are 5 animalfolk. It seemed like my deck either favors a specific animal folk and ignores the rest, or is a mix-up from all and the feel of any specific animalfolk a isn't there. The market also may have a few rounds in a row where on your turn there are limited (or no) cards for purchase that will build on your existing animafolk stall potential. Purchased cards can be useful as technique, passive, and purchase power... But the stall building benefit has potential to be more limited than in a 2 player game depending on luck of the market draw and what other players may buy up.

I'm curious if anyone has thought about using 2 copies of the game to play a 4 player game with 3 animal folk (and cards from both boxes). With this variant the animalfolk flavor and styles would be very apparent and would likely have other changes on the feel of the game.

I really like Dale of Merchants as a 2 player game because of the above mentioned factors, and wondering how a 4 player game would be with a different market setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't personally tried that, but it could work. As I wasn't as happy with the 4 player experience as I was with 2 and 3 player games, I designed the new team rules. They are included in Dale of Merchants 2 and in the second printing of the original game.

This new ruleset for 4 players is fully compatible with the original game and can be downloaded from our website. The 4 player team rules can be found from the last pages of the rulebook for Dale of Merchants 2. I also uploaded these just now to BoardGameGeek for approval. It takes a moment for admins to approve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.