$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 70.5

4,882 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Mark Smith
msg tools
There are lots of games with prepare- gather resources then play phases repeated until a final condition ends the game. Do any have only the two phases one after the other? I am reengineering a game to play like that. Is it fun to have only the two phases if the phases have many more parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
To make sure I understand your question:

You're looking for games with "Harvest then actions then game is over"?

Like one-night ultimate Catan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand either.

wowbagger44 wrote:
one-night ultimate Catan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
This kinda sounds like a wargame where you select your forces based on a point total then battle away with no reinforcements or supply issues. An arena combat game could also qualify. I think Stratego qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It sounds to me like the game is two phases, repeat as necessary until the win condition is met? Gather resources and play with no pussy-footing around?

Sort of like...Risk? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
gxnpt wrote:
This kinda sounds like a wargame where you select your forces based on a point total then battle away with no reinforcements or supply issues. An arena combat game could also qualify. I think Stratego qualifies.

This is what I was going to suggest. There is a preparation step, usually before the game is played. Then there is a step where the game is completed, usually in a few rounds of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are entire groups of games where you somehow pick or set up your forces before the game begins (the most popular example probably being CCGs, including Magic). The customization step usually has zero player interaction, though, so it is arguable whether it should count as part of the "game".

One of my games is divided into phases where the players start by taking turns creating/positioning assets for themselves but don't get to use those assets until the final phase. It received some criticism for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that a Magic: the Gathering draft falls into this category. You have a resource collection phase where you pick cards, and then a game (or series of games) where you use those resources to see who wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Callahan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Galaxy Trucker fits that description, somewhat. You go about gathering resources and then travel, dealing with the obstacles during the trip, then repeat. there is very little connecting the different rounds of the game, so it can be thought of as many separate games, each with one prepare and one play phase.

Another Game in a similar vein is Goblins, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith
msg tools
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
It sounds to me like the game is two phases, repeat as necessary until the win condition is met? Gather resources and play with no pussy-footing around?

Sort of like...Risk? whistle

No the game does not repeat between the phases- once of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith
msg tools
wowbagger44 wrote:
To make sure I understand your question:

You're looking for games with "Harvest then actions then game is over"?

Like one-night ultimate Catan?

Yes exactly right. How about any RPG-style games? One thought I had was say the adventurer has to take loans and buy stuff to prepare to enter the dungeons then fights monsters and has to repay the loans to win.

It is a strange forum system for replies not to include the post replied to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cloa513 wrote:
Yes exactly right.

People can't see which post you clicked "reply" on when you wrote that. Please include more context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.