6 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Core Game Painting Progress: Crawling Chaos Faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Great Old Ones: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1551006/core-game-painting-...
Great Cthulhu Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1562302/core-game-painting-...
Yellow Sign Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1585373/core-game-painting-...
Black Goat Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1585377/core-game-painting-...

This faction was tricky for me and frankly the one I struggled with most. Blue skin doesn't exactly occur naturally in nature, so it was really hard for me to try for my "realistic" kind of approach.

Nightgaunts:

Flying Polyps:

I'm kind of done with eyeballs, heh. And I really should have gone a little darker between their lower tentacles, the varnish really dulled it down and they lost contrast... oh well. =(

Hunting Horrors:

These things are described as having a bone head and are completely blind... so even though it's not the most exciting, I tried to stick with their original description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody Gorgeous! And a "primary source" painter, I really appreciate your dedication to the Hunting Horrors. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! It's a hard balance between "realistic" vs source art vs faction color. I did, however, paint the cultist robes really vibrant colors, so those will stand out amongst the monsters, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH5000 X
msg tools
So well-done! The eyes are terrific. I wanted to do something similar on my own, but they didn't turn out nearly as well. Any tips for how you achieved such awesome eyes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
SH5000 wrote:
So well-done! The eyes are terrific. I wanted to do something similar on my own, but they didn't turn out nearly as well. Any tips for how you achieved such awesome eyes?

Thanks! =) Sure, hmmm... start from the outside-in. I paint the whites first, then to do the iris, I start with just a dot and spiral just the tip of my brush outward so I have some wiggle room (imagine coloring in a circle from the center and out) to make them as round as possible... I've tried free-hand painting in the circle shape first and it's messed me up every time. Just remember that with paint, you can layer... so once I have the iris done, I do the same thing over for the pupil.

Note: It also helps to do this when you want the eye looking a certain direction. Since you start from the middle of the eye, you can start completely offset and it'll change the direction the eye is looking.

Some people like to put a gloss varnish over the eyes to make them look wet, but I prefer just painting in the catch lights... so, keeping your light-source in mind (simply above in my case), paint a small dot of white where the light would hit. Since eyes are wet, there's no real blend, otherwise it'll look like a matte surface. Wet highlights are sharp.

Sometimes, I deliberately try to have the catch light intersect the iris AND the pupil... helps sell that it's a catch light.

Hope that helps. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this subtle approach to retaining the Faction colors while still making the pieces feel naturalistic and believable. Beautiful photos too. Very well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.