Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: First try painting miniatures (Video) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi there,

i just finished painting most of the 1st and 2nd edition miniatures. Keep in mind that i mostly did it for fun, but i think the result isnt that bad.

Tips and comments are welcome

As you can see, there are still alot of 2nd edition miniatures to pain. I will post a larger video once theyre all complete. I mostly used revel email colors. No wash, no coating. Just paint and special lack finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RioR6yXwyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qsf5ozNAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those look great! I'm not a mini painter and have been wanting to give it a try myself. I like the darker colors and the black eyes on the Shoggoths. :B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good, certainly the details. If you want some advice, I'd say thin the paints some more and try to use a wash after paining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m p
England
flag msg tools
Looks good to me. I'd be very happy with something like that once I finally get round to my first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice job!

For advise I would agree with the wash recommendation. I highly recommend using Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polturethane in Antique Walnut as a wash/dip. Really brings out the shadows and protects as well. Also, I can't tell for sure from the video, but it doesn't look like you are doing any dry brushing. Dry brushing will really give you depth. All my mini's get a coat of Clear Gloss spray pain after they are done for best protection. If I want the mini to have a matte or dull finish I do that as a final coat. Matte and dull coat do not protect the paint from wear very well by themselves. (personal experience from painting mini's for over 30 years)

Sorry, didn't have a shot of my MoM mini's yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Wilfong
United States
Odenville
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Nice job!

For advise I would agree with the wash recommendation. I highly recommend using Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polturethane in Antique Walnut as a wash/dip. Really brings out the shadows and protects as well. Also, I can't tell for sure from the video, but it doesn't look like you are doing any dry brushing. Dry brushing will really give you depth. All my mini's get a coat of Clear Gloss spray pain after they are done for best protection. If I want the mini to have a matte or dull finish I do that as a final coat. Matte and dull coat do not protect the paint from wear very well by themselves. (personal experience from painting mini's for over 30 years)

I am so happy to hear that a miniature painting expert likes using a gloss finish.

I like my ameritrash games like a good action movie.
Bright, shiny, in your face and full of depth!

If I wanted flat, dull and lifeless I would still be married to my Ex wife... "ba-dum-bum-CHING"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your investigators look quite nice, but I agree with the chap above about the wash. Highlights and shadows will make them look much more interesting.

Also, I noticed on your half finished ones that there didn't seem to be a primer on them. Was this just the video, or did you skip this step?

Edit: Have reread your original note, and you did mention no primer.
Be prepared to re-do them after your first play. The paint will not adhere correctly to the plastic. The primer is specially formulated to bond with the plastic figures, and give a good foundation for your paints, and will not rub off or chip away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
askinmeh wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
Nice job!

I am so happy to hear that a miniature painting expert likes using a gloss finish.

I like my ameritrash games like a good action movie.
Bright, shiny, in your face and full of depth!

If I wanted flat, dull and lifeless I would still be married to my Ex wife... "ba-dum-bum-CHING"

Well, I'm a long way from being an expert, just painted a lot of D&D and Games Workshops stuff over the years. Also, if you notice some things are shinny, some are matte and some dull. Just depends on the bulk of the material and how shinny/wet it I think it should look. Notice the Dracolich looks very dried out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rita Young is actually black.
Sorry to bring this up again
Gonna leave it like that^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
kniknax wrote:
Your investigators look quite nice, but I agree with the chap above about the wash. Highlights and shadows will make them look much more interesting.

Also, I noticed on your half finished ones that there didn't seem to be a primer on them. Was this just the video, or did you skip this step?

Edit: Have reread your original note, and you did mention no primer.
Be prepared to re-do them after your first play. The paint will not adhere correctly to the plastic. The primer is specially formulated to bond with the plastic figures, and give a good foundation for your paints, and will not rub off or chip away.

i actualy painted the 1. edition monsters about 3 years ago and the pain is still holding with no wear and i never used any primer.

Thats also the reason why im painting the 2. edition ones with no primer too. Doesnt seem like its needed after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkreaver1980 wrote:
Thats also the reason why im painting the 2. edition ones with no primer too. Doesnt seem like its needed after all.

From my experience, when there is a spot on a miniature that was not reached by the primer properly (maybe parts from below) the paint immediately runs of. This could come from the amount of water you use with your colors. If they are very thick, they can stick to the plastic a lot better than when they are watered down.

Edit: Oh sorry, I didn't see you said you used revel email colors. They are not water based and are technically more a varnish. This will obviously be a lot more manageable without primer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
Anduin wrote:
Darkreaver1980 wrote:

From my experience, when there is a spot on a miniature that was not reached by the primer properly (maybe parts from below) the paint immediately runs of. This could come from the amount of water you use with your colors. If they are very thick, they can stick to the plastic a lot better than when they are watered down.

Edit: Oh sorry, I didn't see you said you used revel email colors. They are not water based and are technically more a varnish. This will obviously be a lot more manageable without primer!

I have only experience with Revel Email Colors and they are realy thick and very solid. I also dont water it down. Seems to work great so far, i finished painting all 1nd and 2nd edition miniatures now. They just need to dry and then i gona apply a mate finish and make a much better video. I also repainted some 1nd edition figures cos i didnt liked em (Mi-Gos and Hounds of Talos)

I also noticed that if you mix metal colors with regular ones, you get very cool colors, like the Cthonian in the video. It allways looks slimey and i have applyd the technique for painting the "strange" monsters in the 2nd edition. The result is realy nice. One of my hounds of talos is now shimmering silver and golden, depending on the light angle

Only drawback so far is that it takes ages to dry....40+ hours till they are fully dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
Made an new video with second edition miniatures painted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qsf5ozNAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.