Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Mendoza
United States
Sheppard AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried looking through the rules, but I can find no reference as whether this can or can't be done. Any ideas? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
logic would say no. It has been forever since I have played UF but I do not remember ever Banzai'ing the IG. As a Banzai attack is a human wave attack with the infantry running head long into the enemy. the IG could not participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Realism says no, the rules [45.4] say:

Any Japanese group containing a SL or ASL may declare a Banzai attack as its sole action for that player turn ...

So I suppose the answer is Yes, providing the group is a mixed one of men and the IG and it contains a SL/ASL. Although the IG rules [34.7] do say:

An IG cannot infiltrate or go berserk.

which you might interpret as meaning an IG can't initiate CC - although it doesn't explicitly say this.

If you weren't at RR5 already you would have to observe the extra Movement card requirements for moving an IG.

And now, the important question: does the IG have a bayonet on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play as a IG may only be in a group by itself, like a AFV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be one of those things they missed when they added the Japanese in Banzai.

I would argue no for realism purposes and referring to rule 34.7 which prevents IG's from infiltration or (more germanely) berserking.

Quote:
I always play as a IG may only be in a group by itself, like a AFV.

That is not the official rule (It would have been added in the Kickstarter edition), but I usually (always?) deploy an IG as a sole member of the group. I don't try to advance with an IG.

And it does solve this particular problem--since the IG could never be with a leader therefore it is not possible to banzai.

Having IG's in a group with other men causes issues with regards to banzai:
- Either IG's are allowed to banzai, as illogical as that seems.
- Or what happens if there group banzais and IG cannot? Do the (virtual) three (unarmed?) crewmen immediately appear? Is the IG (and its crew) simply eliminated (unlike a heavy Japanese weapon (45.6) which requires abandonment of the weapon, but primary & assistant crewmen attack in CC unarmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who started cracking up at the mental image of a Japanese IG being rolled at top speed towards the enemy with fellow soldiers screaming at the top of their lungs, bayonets extended? (see box cover of Banzai for help)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Mendoza
United States
Sheppard AFB
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great feedback!

Thanks to all of you. I'm going to play it as no Banzai for an IG. That's what I thought from the beginning, but I couldn't find a rule to support it.

George

PS: I'm still laughing at the mental image of an IG charging forward with a bayonet attached... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.