Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

My wife and I are taking a trip to San Francisco next month and we're looking for solid game cafes to spend and evening or two. We're not planning on buying anything, so an FLGS is less interesting--we're looking for a big library and a table to play a few games.

I know of Victory Point Cafe and End Game Oakland.

Any other recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was published recently by four square: https://foursquare.com/top-places/san-francisco/best-places-...

The Sycamore and Wicked Grounds are your best bets for "cafes".

I'm a big fan of Gamescape but it's not a cafe. It has open board game night on Mondays. It has a gaming area and a bunch of games. The staff is chill and you can hang out and play games almost any time.

The Foundry on Tuesdays is fun. It has a bunch of boardgames plus a lot of video games. It's more of a bar scene.

Otherwise check out meetup.com. There are lots of boardgame clubs that meet weekly in SF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A caveat about that foursquare list: I don't think most of those have "big libraries". Little Shamrock, Sycamore, Asiento, & Liquid Gold only have a few copies of games like Trivial Pursuit, Connect Four, Uno, Apples to Apples, etc. Very much a minor afterthought.

The Folsom St Foundry is pretty epic. Not just on Tuesdays now, they also do it on Thursdays.

Wicked Grounds is cool and has some more gamer games like Dominion and Arkham Horror. It is a BDSM/kink-themed establishment, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I recommend Victory Point Cafe. It's a bit outside of SF proper, but it's nice, good beers, fine snacks, big library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
omnicrondelicious wrote:
I recommend Victory Point Cafe. It's a bit outside of SF proper, but it's nice, good beers, fine snacks, big library.

This has caught my attention more than any other locale thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annette Villa
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend going to Victory Point Café. It's on the other side of the bay (Berkeley)from San Francisco. Games of Berkeley is right down the street and they also have a few games in the back with tables where you can play.

On Mondays, I usually go to the Euro Gaming League in San Francisco. It's a meetup group where you can play games that are a bit more heavier. They supply some of the games, but you can also find play with other gamers that bring their own games. Another benefit is that Bi-Rite ice cream is around the corner. You should definitely check that out if you are in SF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Surprisingly, SF doesn't really have gaming cafes.
At EndGame's new cafe, their library isn't quite built up yet, but they have great Wed night boardgaming on the second level of the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Victory Point. It's a little expensive but well worth it. If you check out a game the waiter teaches you how to play. It doesn't get much cooler than that IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.