Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So whenever I playtest, either my design or my group's, I log it under "Unpublished Prototype". But as one member of my group just recently signed one of their designs to a publisher, I'm starting to wonder whether I should switch these plays over to plays of the game itself (when it will have an entry), at least those of the later versions.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what matters, you definitely should. I never did, but just because I'm lazy.

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
So whenever I playtest, either my design or my group's, I log it under "Unpublished Prototype". But as one member of my group just recently signed one of their designs to a publisher, I'm starting to wonder whether I should switch these plays over to plays of the game itself (when it will have an entry), at least those of the later versions.

Thoughts?

For me, it would depend on how closely the finished game is to the version you tested. If it is very different, than I would leave your plays under unpublished prototype since those plays didn't resemble the final product. If the finished game and the version you played were similar, than I would change them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably would intend to do it, if & how soon I'd get round to it is another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Prototype plays get logged under "unpublished prototype", but as soon as the game gets into the BGG database, I convert those to plays of the correct entry.

I log plays as memory triggers for 5 years from now, if I'm not precise, what's the point of logging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I probably would intend to do it, if & how soon I'd get round to it is another matter.

Yeah, I wish it was possible to edit which game a play is for. It doesn't come up much, but when it does I want this capability a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
In my own experience with design, I find it difficult to easily log prototype plays all in one sum since game design is so iterative.

So what I did, once I started logging, was keep track by major version of the prototype game in Evernote.

For example:
Version 10: 27 plays
Version 11: 35 plays
Version 12: 91 plays
...and so on

Then, if I publicly logged my plays, I'd only take plays logged for the finished/near finished version of the game and log them. Everything else is almost a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

Yeah, I wish it was possible to edit which game a play is for. It doesn't come up much, but when it does I want this capability a lot.

Yeah, the inability to edit which game a logged play is for is very annoying in general, and in particular it is a major reason I don't update "prototype" logged plays to "specific game" logged plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like to wait for finished products that way I know not to expect many changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.