Subject: Ok, Help me write a first adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even after reading all the story quests I have, it's not clear which are advanced and which ones are intended for more beginning players. I figure there should be something like a 1 act story quest to introduce the game concepts. I'm thinking something like this, but it's just brainstorming.

If figure this first one should define the choices. The 2nd adventure should instead talk about the choices for the players so that they have the necessary information to choose themselves. So where here I describe the trap encountered, there I would list the traps by difficulty level with a brief paragraph on what you need to tackle the various traps. Anyway, this is my idea for a starting point for adventure 1

Pest Control – 1 Act

A group of prospective heroes, having finished their various training are in town at the tavern talking about some recent crawler attacks, as well as a report that grubbers have been seen by travellers in the area. The Mayor is downplaying it, but our group is a little worried.

They make a rough map of their town (called Fortune’s Home) and plot out the various sightings and speculate on how they might go about finding the lairs of the insects. They think there are at least two lairs. If a lair is left to grow, the town’s future could be endangered.

With a little too much confidence, the group decides to make an extended ramble around the town, through the forest to see what they can see. They agree to retrieve their training gear and meet outside the East gate tomorrow morning.

Setup: All lairs are Crawler Lairs
Goal: Find and destroy 2 Crawler Lairs in and around the town (based on sightings)
Overall Reward: Draw 2 random treasures from the bag, remove 1 white treasure token and add 1 blue token.
Starting Equipment: Standard gear plus 1 anti-venom potion and 1 vitality potion (2 potions total, not 1 for each character).

4 Tiles.
First tile 4x6, Forest Path.
Trap: Poison Dart Trap
Hunting Pack: 1 8 crawlers, 5 surrounding the trap
Treasure Maximum 4.

Interlude: A local merchant, Talek Three Dunes is found unconscious outside the town. When revived he says his stock has been stolen by some grubbers. He asks you if you can get them back for him (see quest card).

Second tile 6x6, approach to the old south wall with path and steps.
Quest: Stolen Treasure
Lair: 1 Crawler with normal spawn (1st of 2 for adventure)
Hunting Packs: 1 with 8 Grubbers, 3 surrounding Talek’s gear. (Ah! We have found the trap setters)
Maximum Treasure: 5
Tile reward: 6 gold
Merchant Encounter (Talek Three Dunes).

Third Tile, 4x6 forest path leading to stone paving.
Trap: Whirlwind of Steel
Hunting Pack: 8 Grubbers
Maximum Treasure 4

Interlude: The town weaver sees the characters and asks what they’re doing. When told that they have already found some insects and eliminated them, the weaver asks if they could collect some crawler silk (see quest below).

Fourth tile 6x6, approach to the old south wall with path and steps.
Quest: The Weaver’s Needs
Lair: 1 Crawler with normal spawn (2nd of 2 for adventure)
Hunting Packs: 1 with 8 Crawlers
Maximum Treasure: 6

What do you think? Is there a better adventure to play in 1 session of up to say 4 hours to introduce people to the system, or do you have suggestions for this one? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a perfectly fine first session.

I have played several of the story quests from the 1.0 rulebook, but in general I find them too empty without loading them down with additional quest cards, and that tends to confuse the narrative of the story quest.

The approach you've taken here - making a simple story out of a series of 2.0 Quest Cards - is currently my favorite way to play Myth.

The only thing I might suggest, based on your players of course, is that by that fourth tile they'll probably be looking to fight something bigger and scarier. Smashing minions all day is fun, but tends to get repetitive. If your players begin to feel this way during their first session, add a couple Stalkers or Muckers to one of the tiles as a difficulty bump.

You could also fudge the setup of the last tile to simply be an encounter with a tougher collection of Grubbers and Muckers, instead of a Quest or Trap. That tends to go over well in my play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Is there a better adventure to play in 1 session of up to say 4 hours to introduce people to the system, or do you have suggestions for this one? Thanks.

I have been telling myself to do this for about 18 months now. whistle

I just haven't gotten around to it given Myth's taken a back seat to other things these days.

I really believe this game needs a "proper" intro adventure. A purpose written adventure like you're suggesting that eases people into the mechanics and establishes the fun and minimizes the fiddly/frustrating elements of the game right off the bat.

I will take a closer look at what you have proposed and comment over the next few days.

Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking give some reward for finishing the act, like remove 2 white from the treasure bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games (like SoB) just give you an intro adventure. Other games like Earth Reborn give you like 8 missions each of which introduce more rules. That might be excessive

Ideally from what I heard, you want to be taught to play by the designers in person. But since it might be hard for them to go everywhere in the world and personally teach us to play, I think they need some adventures which have clear prerequisites and grading of difficulty along with describing how to meet the prerequisites. And the traps, mini-bosses, agents, and bosses all need their own grading, as do races (shamblers, crawlers, grubbers, etc.) and traps.

If you're going to ask people to use their judgement in play to decide how to populate a tile, you need them to be able to choose intelligently and that means you need to give them the information they need. If they inadvertantly choose the hardest trap in their first game they might just give up the whole thing as a bad game and we don't want that.

And I'd also like more Myth play videos from the designers to REALLY demonstrate how good the game can be AND teach play theory for various characters -- have the players explain what they're doing and why. Every darn character is almost a totally new learning curve for playing it well (which is great) but it's not easy to figure out and doing that 8-10 times might profit from some help.

I'm the guy in our game group that often reads through the game and teaches the rest to play. But this game has been harder to learn enough to teach even an introductory game than any game I've ever played. When you essentially pioneer your own brand new game genre (which I think Myth is) you need to do a little more hand holding to show people how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I like Myth's idea of having the participants choose their own adventure by making decisions on the tile. But that works best for experienced players. New players need more guidance on how to make good decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and that is why I think your idea is a good one. Have the intro module or adventure tell exactly how many and what to put out. I would even go a step further and say

2 player use Acolyte and Soldier
3 player use Acolyte, Soldier, and Apprentice
4 player use Acolyte, Soldier, Apprentice, and Brigand
5 player use Acolyte, Soldier, Apprentice, Brigand and Archer

I honestly think the Apprentice, Brigand and Archer can go in any order as a combo of Acolyte, Soldier, and anything else is killer. To your point we want to setup the intro games to be tilted towards the players for the best possible experience assuming that the average newbie will make some mistakes and they shouldn't have to pay to heavily for making those mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought. Be careful using the insects as your core monsters on your first outing. Poison can be a pain! As an idea, you could have the initial encounters with the orcs and goblins and then lead into the insect encounters later in the adventure. Not entirely necessary, but you may find the goblins a little less threatening for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of if you like battling the insect monsters, just make sure you have plenty of opportunities to find potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
Brian T wrote:
One thought. Be careful using the insects as your core monsters on your first outing. Poison can be a pain! As an idea, you could have the initial encounters with the orcs and goblins and then lead into the insect encounters later in the adventure. Not entirely necessary, but you may find the goblins a little less threatening for new players.

Goblins have less rules, which makes them better.

My new player/warm up strategy is to have a grubber hunting pack alone on the first tile, then a grubber lair, then a trap tile. It's a nice, slow introduction to the base mechanics. The only thing you have to worry about with that combo is a big threat penalty summoning a miniboss... Then, when it's time to introduce a new race, go back to the beginning with a hunter pack, then a lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:
Brian T wrote:

Goblins have less rules, which makes them better.

My new player/warm up strategy is to have a grubber hunting pack alone on the first tile, then a grubber lair, then a trap tile. It's a nice, slow introduction to the base mechanics. The only thing you have to worry about with that combo is a big threat penalty summoning a miniboss... Then, when it's time to introduce a new race, go back to the beginning with a hunter pack, then a lair.

Yep. My very first game I started out on a 6x6 tile with a Grubber hunting pack and a trap. I used the Archer and the Soldier (yes, no Acolyte). I did well. Next tile, 12x12 with Grubber Lair and quest. Survived (just). Third tile, 12x12 with Insect lair and quest.... and that was the end of those heroes wow The lesson learned.... if you plan to play without a healer, make sure you find a merchant that sells health and anti-venom potions before you get too far along. I purchased some health potions but didn't think to invest in any anti-venom. Bleah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
The game only sort-of works without the Acolyte in the party. Most heroes are very short-lived without healing support.

In part, I think this is why you're able to summon Talek Three Dunes for 1 Serendipity and buy his vitality potion for 2 Gold. He's going to get an awful lot of your business there's no Acolyte around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.