Arboretum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you only cont trees once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, just having our 1st game,
1)do you only score a tree once? so if you have a tree that is connected to two different paths you can only score it once? e.g. below, you only score the upper case (H) tree in one of the paths? either the vertical one or the horizontal one? not both.

h
h
h
H h h

2)To score the bonus of having 4 of the same tree type in a path, can that path contain any other type of tree? or has the path got to only have one type of tree? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each start and end tree must be the same variety as each other, and each variety can only be scored once. Trees in the middle of paths can be used more than once though.

If you're going for the double points, every tree in the path must be the same variety, and the path must be at least 4 long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So you only score your highest path of a tree type? so in my example if all the h's were say olive trees, I would score the vertical one only? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Exactly, you only score your highest path of any tree type (if you win the right to score that tree type, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, I overlooked, "the players score a single path of that type" part. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thanks, I overlooked, "the players score a single path of that type" part. thanks.

But don't forget that the path type is set by the start and end trees only. So in your example you only score once. But assuming "h" is always the same variety, it would actually be one long path (Assuming the incrementing rule is followed.) scoring 6 plus 6 bonus.

But in this

V
hHhh
V

You could use H for two different paths. 4+4(bonus) for H path. 3 for V path.

EDIT: AAARK! posting destroyed my layout. But it still works. Added "." to try to correct formatting.

EDIT2: Fixed formatting. Thank you to the kind people who explained how to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
2)To score the bonus of having 4 of the same tree type in a path, can that path contain any other type of tree? or has the path got to only have one type of tree? thanks.

repeating from my own post here

quoting from the rules,

B) Score 1 additional point for each card in the path if it is made up of at least 4 cards and they are all the same color.

The trick is to correctly parse the three items I have highlighted: "It" refers back to "the path", and in turn "they" refers back to "it" and thus also back to "the path"

So restated, "Score 1 additional point for each card in the path if all of the path is made up of at least 4 cards and the cards in the path are all the same color."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

But don't forget that the path type is set by the start and end trees only. So in your example you only score once. But assuming "h" is always the same variety, it would actually be one long path (Assuming the incrementing rule is followed.) scoring 6 plus 6 bonus.

But in this

.V
hHhh
.V

You could use H for two different paths. 4+4(bonus) for H path. 3 for V path.

EDIT: AAARK! posting destroyed my layout. But it still works. Added "." to try to correct formatting.

Use the [ c ] [ / c ] tags (click the 'c' button in the editor) so that extra spaces aren't stripped and courier type font is used :

V
hHhh
V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:

Hint: Look for the "C" selection above the editing box. It stands for "code", and it will produce a fixed-space font presentation of your text so that spaces will be retained and characters in each line will align (surround your text the same way you would for Bold or Italics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
So you only score your highest path of a tree type?

The rules do not expressly say highest, but when they do say the equivalent of only one then you would of course make that selection.

The player who has the highest sum in a given color gains the right to score points for a single path matching that color in her arboretum.

(rules quote with my highlight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
1)do you only score a tree once? so if you have a tree that is connected to two different paths you can only score it once?

The example you gave may not have held up to scrutiny here but the answer to the question itself is nonetheless given in the rules as follows (albeit in a smaller text that might be overlooked).

Note: A tree may be used in more than one path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
So you only score your highest path of a tree type? so in my example if all the h's were say olive trees, I would score the vertical one only? thanks

If those are all olives, you'd score all six, assuming that they are properly laid out in terms of value. Paths do not have to be a straight line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Rickman
Australia
Success
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread was a great help and solved a scoring problem for my wife's setup earlier tonight. I thought it would be a good example of how you score and also why you might want to pick a shorter path.

Remembering you can only score for that category of tree once, the optimal path here is the 4 cards of the same colour ending with the 8 (Green). The other paths are good but simply don't score as many points.

To be clear, she received 10 points for Royal Poincianas, not 27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyranos wrote:
This thread was a great help and solved a scoring problem for my wife's setup earlier tonight. I thought it would be a good example of how you score and also why you might want to pick a shorter path.

Remembering you can only score for that category of tree once, the optimal path here is the 4 cards of the same colour ending with the 8 (Green). The other paths are good but simply don't score as many points.

To be clear, she received 10 points for Royal Poincianas, not 27.

Exactly so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 4-card path of a single color ending in 8 (but not starting with 1) gives 10 points.

An 8-card path of multiple colors (but beginning and ending with the same color) gives 11 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.