Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems to be made and marketed towards former CCG players, and most of the reviews to date have been from these types of players. I am curious what type of gamers that did not play CCG's would probably like this game. For instance, I am interested in it because I like card games and economic games, and am curious if I would like it even if I did not play CCG's.

If you are so inclined, what type of gamers that do not have experience with CCGs will like this game? Also, is there a lot of CCG-like card terminology that might be difficult for people without the background? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the general feeling is that former CCG players will get a sense of nostalgia playing this game, but I don't think this game is means for just CCG players. At its heart, this game is like an economic game with a kind of deck builder built into it. If you like games that require you to make constant and quick evaluations of abilities and you like set collection, and you like frantically moving around, then I think you should give this game a chance. As far as I know there is really no CCG terminology that is not explained in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not aimed at CCG players at all.

This is purely a management game with a CCG theme.

There is no CCG terms (unless you consider the words "Card", "Deck" or "Rarity" being CCG exclusive terminology).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

There is no CCG terms (unless you consider the words "Card", "Deck" or "Rarity" being CCG exclusive terminology).

All of the reviews I saw or read were from former players who were gushing with nostalgia, so it seemed like it was aimed at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was shocked at how good this game turned out to be. It's absolutely true that it's got a thick vaneer of CCG history (as well as a healthy dose of geek culture). However, at it's heart, it's a real time economic game. So far, most of my euro friends I've taught it to have enjoyed it. I emphasis two points when teaching it: 1) It's a game about victory points, don't get caught up in all the other things the game does and forget out to score points. 2) The clock is there to move the game along, but it's not meant to be a chain around your neck. This isn't one of those frantic games where you're trying to beat the buzzer. If you run out of time, we'll wait for you to finish sorting your cards out.

I think it excels at being both a meta-commentary on CCGs and a solid euro-game about set collection and hand management constrained by an economic system. Towards that end, I think it's applicable to a lot of game players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife abhors M:TG and just about all CCG/LCG. That being said she enjoyed and beat me at this. She related it slightly to Dominion which she enjoys. I've played with a number of people no way interested in CCGs and it's been a hot every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players who enjoy playing games with passionate players will enjoy Millenium Blades -- as long as they're joined by at least one CCG fanatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
If you are so inclined, what type of gamers that do not have experience with CCGs will like this game? Also, is there a lot of CCG-like card terminology that might be difficult for people without the background? Thanks.

I've never played a single hand of a CCG and I picked up and enjoyed MB immediately. If there's terminology in there specific to CCG's, then it was apparently easy enough for me to understand right away. This is one of the few games that I started playing and enjoying after a 20 minute read of the rules (in addition to an hour+ of assembling money stacks...).

I didn't write a full review, but I enjoy it immensely. It's a bit tough to get to the table with my group, but my son (11) and I play it regularly. We've recently tried the turn-based mode a couple times and I think that's my preferred way to play 2-player. We're both really looking forward to Millennium Blades: Set Rotation shipping soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two spots where I think it might be less fun for non-CCG players:

1. Just *how many cards* you deal with. Anybody who's ever flipped through their binder of way too many cards (and why did I keep THAT one anyway?) trying to build a deck will recognize the feeling of having to set some aside and forget about them entirely. I've seen some players with more of a Euro background feel like the game is giving them too many cards to keep up with.

2. You need someone at the table who can confidently make up answers to questions about weird rules interactions. If that person is an ex-CCGer they will probably be more confident. And maybe even more right.

Also, I don't see it as much of an economic game (you are very limited in how often you can sell). Your mileage might vary.

All that said, my partner has not played CCGs but loves drafting games, and she liked MB. It's not exactly drafting, but has a similar "pick a strategy and run with it" feel, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
There are two spots where I think it might be less fun for non-CCG players:

1. Just *how many cards* you deal with. Anybody who's ever flipped through their binder of way too many cards (and why did I keep THAT one anyway?) trying to build a deck will recognize the feeling of having to set some aside and forget about them entirely. I've seen some players with more of a Euro background feel like the game is giving them too many cards to keep up with.

2. You need someone at the table who can confidently make up answers to questions about weird rules interactions. If that person is an ex-CCGer they will probably be more confident. And maybe even more right.

Also, I don't see it as much of an economic game (you are very limited in how often you can sell). Your mileage might vary.

All that said, my partner has not played CCGs but loves drafting games, and she liked MB. It's not exactly drafting, but has a similar "pick a strategy and run with it" feel, I think.

Building from this response, which covers much of it...

I've taught it to CCGers who fondly remember "the good old days" when they play.

I've taught it to CCGers who hate the real-time aspect. Not all CCGers like absorbing a large amount of information in a short period of time, and then being challenged on it (in the tournament phase).

Non-CCGers need to be taught differently. However, if they understand trying to set up a few sets of cards (a collection to sell, and a deck of cards whose abilities will combo well) and the economic chaos of real-time selling and buying, they will do fine.

Dominion is naturally a good jumping off point. It's another game that appeals strongly to CCGers, but also transcends that niche to reach other gamers. MB has a theme that calls to CCGers, but players who love real-time set collection, economics, and combo-building will probably dig MB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people who like card combos and carl chudyk games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaiKulture's review is a very good read. In short: While some people view MB as an economic game, it doesn't necessarily feel like one. Also, CCG-afficionados as well as people who have never played CCGs enjoy the game.

All in all, I don't know that there is a real comparison to MB. It can be hectic, frantic, sometimes chaotic... and, whatever else it is: it's lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like about it is building combos and deck synergy which does scratch that CCG/LCG itch.

I think the game will also appeal to gamers who like Economy games. Rahdo actually listed Millennium Blades in his top 10 list of Economic games. I am at work where videos are blocked or else I would find and post the link to the video, it is the one where he did a top 10 Economic list along with Tom Vasel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, people who like brain burners! I feel exhausted (in a good way!) after playing the full game as I'm trying to process the constant tide of choices in real time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:

Hey, that's me!

It did feel overwhelming to me. But I still got the hang of it. So even if you do tend to prefer more contemplative Euro-style games, you still may be able to get over the hump and enjoy this one, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will like this game if...

. You get a kick out huge varieties of cards that each have unique powers/new rules (think seasons or the cards in King of NY/Tokyo).

. You enjoy building decks and having unique powers that no one else has.

. You enjoy having to improvise when a wrench is thrown in your plan at the last minute.

. You're not easily overwhelmed by large amounts of information/text all at once.

. You're ok with making occasional mistakes and moving on.

. You enjoy/are ok with some over the top and sometimes gross art.

. You get excited about blindly buying mystery cards.

. You favor variety over perfect information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

All of the reviews I saw or read were from former players who were gushing with nostalgia, so it seemed like it was aimed at them.

People who used to play CCGs definitely are getting a kick out of it, but I'd say most of those are more into boardgames than CCGs these days.

I started a magic club in JHS and and was a Gym Leader when Pokemon CCG just came out. Definitely feel a bit of nostalgia. Also, my friends that were really into Yugioh are certainly drooling over the theme.

It's definitey a great game without ever being a CCG player. It's just a boardgame that takes place in setting like the world of Yugioh or Duel Masters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, while I know some things about MTG culture, I don't know really any of the anime or other obscure reference points for the parodies in MB (I got James Bond and Bugs Bunny, thanks) and that actually made some sets less fun for me. It's not a huge thing, but I do get the "this game is intended for someone else" feeling the OP asked about-- just not with regard to CCGs. So I bet a person who gets zero of the MTG in-jokes would like the game less. That's just not what most of the in-jokes are.

(And some of the cards are legit funny on their own. I don't know if Doubleshark is a reference to anything in particular, but I love that guy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

How many game reviewers haven't played at least some CCGs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far in my experiences the main people who dislike this game either get overwhelmed by all the options and real time component... Or just really dislike the CCG aspect of it. It is not the same as a CGG though as many have pointed out... but its very similar... and some can't get past the similarities/theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
On the other hand, while I know some things about MTG culture, I don't know really any of the anime or other obscure reference points for the parodies in MB (I got James Bond and Bugs Bunny, thanks) and that actually made some sets less fun for me. It's not a huge thing, but I do get the "this game is intended for someone else" feeling the OP asked about-- just not with regard to CCGs. So I bet a person who gets zero of the MTG in-jokes would like the game less. That's just not what most of the in-jokes are.

(And some of the cards are legit funny on their own. I don't know if Doubleshark is a reference to anything in particular, but I love that guy.)

There really aren't that many references to M:TG so much as there are references to EVERYTHING. There's a firefly set. There's a Zelda set. There's a Super Mario Bros. set. There are anime sets. There are sets that reference other board games. While not knowing these sets will reduce the nostalgia aspect, it doesn't alter the game strategically.

I'm surprised no one has made the comparison to Libertalia yet. That's the first thing I thought when I started playing a tournament in this game. The difference between this in libertalia, however, is that people don't all start with the same cards; they have to build their deck using the extensive economic system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hai Kulture
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Shunning Bandersnatches Daily
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
HaiKulture's review is a very good read. In short: While some people view MB as an economic game, it doesn't necessarily feel like one. Also, CCG-afficionados as well as people who have never played CCGs enjoy the game.

All in all, I don't know that there is a real comparison to MB. It can be hectic, frantic, sometimes chaotic... and, whatever else it is: it's lots of fun.

Haha Aww Dom - you're a sweetheart

While my Time Call to Steve Jackson was all in fun - there is a truth in the textual Bob Newhart routine. When I watch reviewers spout about 'niche' and 'hard core CCG' and not seeing the forest for the theme, I wonder if they ever truly consider Munchkin. At its heart, it IS about getting jokes about Floating Noses being Beholders and more of a giggle if you heard the Gazebo story - BUT - it doesn't stop everyone from playing it.

While MB might be a bit much for the everybody - it is far more than impressions most reviewers seem to give. It makes me wonder if they go about causing havoc at 8 year-old's sleepovers by snatching up Monopoly boards and saying 'What do you know about the real estate market in Atlantic City?!?!!!!!!!'

That and if most reviewers just watch what the Dice Tower says and then just parrots it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.