6 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Capt. Britain - Excalibur Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's Contribution is Capt. Britain:

This set of cards was tough for me. Captain Britain has such a long and detailed history, and so many unique aspects to his powers and abilities that I sound myself getting lost when I tried to create a narrative that reflects his back story etc. So I gave up on that and pretty much based the character on him being a leader both of excalibur and in general. Let me know what you think

Common 1: Pretty simple card based on the idea of trying to build the strongest team possible. This card allows you to potentially KO weak/unwanted hero's and buff your hand with more Excalibur team members.

Common 2: I like the concept of this card (pulling a little strength from each other player). The part I wondered about is if the rules of this card should change depending on how many players are in the game. This card is pretty powerful in a 5 player game, pretty weak in a 2 player game and pretty much worthless in solo play. So the sweet spot for balance is in a 3-4 player game (which in my experience is also the sweet spot for a fun game). So perhaps the buff needs to be scaled based on the number of players or just a note for single player mode or something. Thoughts?

Uncommon: Simple artifact card for the sword Excalibur. I think +2 attack per turn @ 6 cost is the right balance. UPDATE: Added strength trigger in order to recruit the card.

Rare: I like this card, it could be super powerful or kind of "meh" depending on how crowded the city gets. But that is kind of the idea is this card rally's the troops at the most dire moment to save the day.

I would love input on these cards.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm not sure about the power types of any of these cards. For instance, they are almost all Ranged and by looking at the cards and what the titles hints at, it feels more like they should be either Instincts or Coverts.

Also, I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules but I'm unsure if its useful to put a power type on the artifact. Artifacts are played once and their power types don't count on subsequent turn (I'm not sure about the turn were you play it though, which might still count - so if that's the case please ignore this part )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Bloodwurm wrote:
I'm not sure about the power types of any of these cards. For instance, they are almost all Ranged and by looking at the cards and what the titles hints at, it feels more like they should be either Instincts or Coverts.

Also, I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules but I'm unsure if its useful to put a power type on the artifact. Artifacts are played once and their power types don't count on subsequent turn (I'm not sure about the turn were you play it though, which might still count - so if that's the case please ignore this part )

Thanks for the feedback. I can see what you are saying on the power types (although your comment about them being primarily ranged isn't true, the majority of the cards are strength). I might change one of them to covert or instinct. I just had a hard time with covert because he was almost never a sneaky/covert character, he was always a big loud smash and dash type character so covert didn't seem to fit. Instinct makes more sense maybe I use that.

As far as the artifact goes I think all the artifact cards in the game have power logos on them. This would come into play in a few different situations. For example, artifacts count for "revealing" applications so if something happened in the game where you needed to reveal a tech hero or gain a wound you could use the artifact in your hand or in-front of you to fulfill that requirement. Or if you are supposed to guess the color or ability of a card on the top of your deck it would be important to a power on the card. However, you are right that the ability is not permanently usable (as in being used to trigger abilities on other cards) so it has a very limited role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm sorry, you are right, don't know how I did that but I apparently got confused and imagined 3 of the cards were ranged.... (should not work at the same time that I look at these...). Sorry about that.

And yes, good point on the Artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Updated the Uncommon card to add a strength trigger for recruiting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.