56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yellow faction mech ability to move to inactive factions base rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nima Rohani
msg tools
Hey there, my friend and I are trying to figure out exactly what this mech ability means.

Does it mean that yellow can move its mech or main character to any inactive factions base as long as it is not playing in the game? OR does it mean that they can move its mech or main character to a factions base that is in the game but just does not have its main character or mech on its home base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
yellow can move its mech or main character to any inactive factions base as long as it is not playing in the game

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gallay
United States
Martinez
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "inactive" here means any faction not being played in that game. That means during a 5-player match, yellow can move to the green or purple bases.

Another example: if you're playing a game where one player is red and no one is playing blue, you can move to the blue home base, but never to the red home base.

Don't forget, you can move back to your own base as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully in the expansion they will have an alternate ability for them. Otherwise this ability is shit in a 7 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
corkysru wrote:
Hopefully in the expansion they will have an alternate ability for them. Otherwise this ability is shit in a 7 player game.

Trust Jamey to have noticed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Hopefully in the expansion they will have an alternate ability for them.
Jamey has previously stated that this will indeed be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, there will be an alternate Crimean mech ability in place of Wayfare for 6 and 7 player games.I thought that was mentioned somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Hopefully in the expansion they will have an alternate ability for them.
Jamey has previously stated that this will indeed be the case.

I had missed that. Sorry.

Klaus O K wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Trust Jamey to have noticed that.

Eh. I love scythe but I still have a slightly sour taste in my mouth over one misrepresentation. But whatever. I like playing it. I don't regret buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the broken promise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

It's not a broken promise. I mis-worded things. It's been a busy and shitty 1.5 months at work so I have been quick to reply to things and not always the best wording. I edited my previous post to be more accurate.

It's just not 4x and that was something I was looking forward too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

It's not a broken promise. I mis-worded things. It's been a busy and shitty 1.5 months at work so I have been quick to reply to things and not always the best wording. I edited my previous post to be more accurate.

Which X is missing for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

eXtermiante - to remove/destroy (not just push back to home base) Have a bigger consequence for both players.

eXplore - to discover unknown areas (the map never changes and is revealed from the beginning). I don't class the encounter cards as exploring as they are always in the same spot and exploring should have a chance of misfortune. The encounters give you mechs, upgrades, workers, recruits, resources and popularity. They don't have a negative effect, like loose you character, pay resources to pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

eXtermiante - to remove/destroy (not just push back to home base) Have a bigger consequence for both players.

eXplore - to discover unknown areas (the map never changes and is revealed from the beginning). I don't class the encounter cards as exploring as they are always in the same spot and exploring should have a chance of misfortune. The encounters give you mechs, upgrades, workers, recruits, resources and popularity. They don't have a negative effect, like loose you character, pay resources to pass.

I would like to clarify that these Xs are missing for everyone. And I could not have given a better response than negatrev did.

I get it.. Euro players want to claim this is 4x so they can say they play 4x games... but it's not. I'm sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who want to read my full explanation of why I believe Scythe is a 4X game, it's on the FAQ:

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

I don't think there's any debate that Scythe has exploration. You don't know what encounters you will have or what is in the factory in any given game. That is a HUGE deal. The factory in particular is super exciting to see. The encounters work the same as a game like Civilization: The Board Game in which you reveal hexes. You're not discovering a new civilization or anything. It's just resources, the same as Scythe, except with better artwork and story. It's just that you harvest the resources or have whatever effect on the environment immediately rather than later turns.

I get the argument that you aren't actually removing figures from the board, but you are removing them from territories. Yeah, it's less harsh than other 4x games, but you're still exterminating from territories, which is a huge deal. I don't see the problem with that counting as the last X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
NocturnalAllen wrote:
The encounters work the same as a game like Civilization: The Board Game in which you reveal hexes. You're not discovering a new civilization or anything. It's just resources, the same as Scythe, except with better artwork and story. It's just that you harvest the resources or have whatever effect on the environment immediately rather than later turns.

Mh, I think there is a difference. It would be comparable to Scythe if the whole map in Civ would have been revealed at the start of the game and only the (barbarian) huts would remain unnkown. In Civ you explore a different map every game, the (water) layout influences the movement possibilities. This is not happening in Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
itmo wrote:
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

You guys must be really fun to game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torgoshuffle wrote:
itmo wrote:
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

And you are just fantastic to have a discussion on the internet with shake

Let's face it, even the FAQ says that Jamey wants to expand the definition of 4X by labeling Scythe as such. I.e. it doesn't fit the current definition of 4X.

A too narrow definition isn't useful, but neither is a too wide one.
For me the fact that Scythe has combat, but not even unit elimination (and no, I don't count "eliminated from an area" that's just "being moved") and very limited exploration makes it not a proper 4X.

Lastly, the jab at needing to melt down pieces to have extermination is just ridiculous, and not in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
torgoshuffle wrote:
itmo wrote:
negatrev wrote:
corkysru wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

eXterminate and eXplore

Let's face it, even the FAQ says that Jamey wants to expand the definition of 4X by labeling Scythe as such. I.e. it doesn't fit the current definition of 4X.

A too narrow definition isn't useful, but neither is a too wide one.
For me the fact that Scythe has combat, but not even unit elimination (and no, I don't count "eliminated from an area" that's just "being moved") and very limited exploration makes it not a proper 4X.

Lastly, the jab at needing to melt down pieces to have extermination is just ridiculous, and not in a good way.

Sigh. Jocks will be jocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
torgoshuffle wrote:

+1

Geez. We're just enjoying the exercise of seeing how the category fits! If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I love playing games with people like this. And, labels exist for a reason. If I told someone I have this great 4x, they would not be impressed. Everyone I've talked to has considered this a euro punctuated with the rare opportunistic attack.

NocturnalAllen wrote:
I don't think there's any debate that Scythe has exploration.

Obviously there was debate even before you chimed in.

Of all the X's, this is the one that is not represented at all, IMHO. Random encounters != exploration. There is no revealing of new terrain. Of course, your point stands, but as an analogy, in any other game when I draw a random card out of a deck that says, "You fight goblins," my first thought is about as far as you can get from "exploration!"

The other X's are there to some degree or other, but eXtermination is very light to non-existent. You can attack your opponent, send them home, set them back, and make it very difficult or impossible for them to return if they didn't plan for it. I think that's enough to count, but I can understand the argument against it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
NocturnalAllen wrote:
The encounters work the same as a game like Civilization: The Board Game in which you reveal hexes. You're not discovering a new civilization or anything. It's just resources, the same as Scythe, except with better artwork and story. It's just that you harvest the resources or have whatever effect on the environment immediately rather than later turns.

Mh, I think there is a difference. It would be comparable to Scythe if the whole map in Civ would have been revealed at the start of the game and only the (barbarian) huts would remain unnkown. In Civ you explore a different map every game, the (water) layout influences the movement possibilities. This is not happening in Scythe.

I don't think barbarian camps are near as good as encounters and especially factory. And even if it's not as different every game as rivers in civ, it's still exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

This pretty much sums up the "attempt" to make it a 4x game. the melt down piece comment is an absurd comparison that sounds more like a whiny kid than a legitimate attempt at game classification. You don't redefine a labeling system just because you want to. Or the comment was meant in jest..and then it wasn't that funny in the context. It shows either an absolute lack of understanding for what a 4x or a simple disregard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

This pretty much sums up the "attempt" to make it a 4x game. the melt down piece comment is an absurd comparison that sounds more like a whiny kid than a legitimate attempt at game classification. You don't redefine a labeling system just because you want to. Or the comment was meant in jest..and then it wasn't that funny in the context. It shows either an absolute lack of understanding for what a 4x or a simple disregard of it.

Or it just shows that you don't literally exterminate. Therefore, it is then up to interpretation what it means in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NocturnalAllen wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Or it just shows that you don't literally exterminate. Therefore, it is then up to interpretation what it means in a game.

Nor do you LITERALLY spend resources in Scythe. You just return them to their containers. Nor do you LITERALLY explore anything. I know what is in the box and all the cards. I am not exploring anything in that regard. I am not LITERALLY exploiting anything. It's my game therefore anything I want to do with it is not exploiting anyone. The game board is a fixed size.. I am not LITERALLY expanding anything either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly. Therefore, it is up to interpretation what abstract definition is used for each of the X's. There is no debate to me that exploration is there. I think the spirit of extermination is there without as harsh as a penalty for the loser. The units in the territory are removed. I think that's in the spirit of the genre with more of a euro interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.