Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Once I get my copy of SeaFall in and our group starts playing it, I wanted to make that games a bit more of an event.

To that end, I picked up some red sealing wax candles and a compass rose seal, and am going to make up some envelopes using some ancient looking paper, putting one of the title cards in each envelope and sealing them with the wax. Having each player select an envelope to determine the start ranking seems way more thematic then just dealing the cards out.

It occurred to me that, since I'll be using single sheets of paper to make each envelope, I could also print some sort of message on the inside as well, to be read once they're opened, rather then just having the rank card inside.

My question is, what should that message say? I want something in universe.

The other possibility would be to put a player aid or something there, but that strikes me as less thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea. Hope you post some pictures of it once you get them done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Wright
United States
Manteca
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could put the flavor text from the back of the player boards in each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hauge
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
EdHaag wrote:

Awesome idea! Regarding what the message should say, the Welcome Sheet pdf states:

Quote:
When starting the Prologue:
Have all players read the histories of the provinces, as shown on the back of the province boards (out loud or to yourselves - depends on the group).

You could transcribe the provinces' histories verbatim from the text on the back of the province boards, or write messages based off of that text. If you want to get really fancy, you could even do five different colors of wax seals, corresponding to the five provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
Once I get my copy of SeaFall in and our group starts playing it, I wanted to make that games a bit more of an event.

To that end, I picked up some red sealing wax candles and a compass rose seal, and am going to make up some envelopes using some ancient looking paper, putting one of the title cards in each envelope and sealing them with the wax. Having each player select an envelope to determine the start ranking seems way more thematic then just dealing the cards out.

It occurred to me that, since I'll be using single sheets of paper to make each envelope, I could also print some sort of message on the inside as well, to be read once they're opened, rather then just having the rank card inside.

The other possibility would be to put a player aid or something there, but that strikes me as less thematic.
Message: a letter from the previous province administrator about them being needed inland, appointing the player as administrator.

Player aid looking non-thematic: print it in yon olde paper that you used for the envelopes and messages, and add a title like "On the Ruling of Provinces: A Treatise" to the player aid.
Add some reference to it in the letter.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwEE H18
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have some invitation cards as well and I want to prepare my group in a way that they have time to come up with some cool names upfront. It is sometimes hard to find good names instantly (and I don't want a sausage island for the rest of the game). That's what I've learned from Risk Legacy.

The rest of the setting I have to keep secret (at least the bottle of rum I've planned arrrh ) since I suspect at least one reading this ...
I will post some pictures then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
Message: a letter from the previous province administrator about them being needed inland, appointing the player as administrator.

Player aid looking non-thematic: print it in yon olde paper that you used for the envelopes and messages, and add a title like "On the Ruling of Provinces: A Treatise" to the player aid.
Add some reference to it in the letter.

Hope this helps.

I like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealing this idea. Maybe not going as far, but I do have some nicer paper left over from wedding invites. I think address each to one of the titles, "Lord/Lady_____, it is time to take your place as ruler of your province on (DATE)" maybe some other text, fold it and seal it (found some wax on Amazon, thinking of pressing one of the coins in instead of a stamp).

My own innovation is getting fine-tipped sharpies in the colors of each province, so everyone names things in their own color. Ten games in, we have a quick visual reminder that Purple named the third island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:

My own innovation is getting fine-tipped sharpies in the colors of each province, so everyone names things in their own color. Ten games in, we have a quick visual reminder that Purple named the third island.

Good idea! I like this one. If I can find sharpies of the right colors, I may have to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Jaberg
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Man, here I was just going to serve grog to my group before each game. arrrh

I would second the idea of the previous administrator leaving the province for them. Maybe mention the administrator had just commissioned two ships and they should be finished within the week. Something something call of the sea something something reunite the empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
sniprpenguin wrote:
Man, here I was just going to serve grog to my group before each game. arrrh

I would second the idea of the previous administrator leaving the province for them. Maybe mention the administrator had just commissioned two ships and they should be finished within the week. Something something call of the sea something something reunite the empire.

Something Something Something Dark Side...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I personally am going to recommend initially naming things in pencil (but I suppose there are colored pencils...).

This will free up people to be as silly or grandiose or whatever as they want. If a name "sticks" we can have a very brief ceremony of going over the penciled name in Sharpie.

BTW, I love ALL the ideas of adding things or modifying the game for extra flavor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought on seeing the subject was, "Yes, Seafall does need more foam swords and pirate hats!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the color sharpie idea.

shumyum wrote:
I personally am going to recommend initially naming things in pencil (but I suppose there are colored pencils...).

This will free up people to be as silly or grandiose or whatever as they want. If a name "sticks" we can have a very brief ceremony of going over the penciled name in Sharpie.

BTW, I love ALL the ideas of adding things or modifying the game for extra flavor!

I've been considering proposing to my group that for island names, we write in the name during the game as normal, but then between games we print the new names on labels -- you know, fancy script, etc. Maybe color coded as described above. Might make the board look nicer, even those islands names "Buttsylvania".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I think "Forest of Asses" is a perfectly fine name, thankyouverymuch.

I used the coloured sharpie idea back with Risk Legacy, but then we realized it was better if we didn't get married to our faction choice. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
I think "Forest of Asses" is a perfectly fine name, thankyouverymuch.

I used the coloured sharpie idea back with Risk Legacy, but then we realized it was better if we didn't get married to our faction choice. Oh well.

Right, Risk Legacy, you should move between factions. My understanding is Seafall is designed for each person sticking with their province (in Risk, we usually initialed, particularly so we could remember who could start at each city)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the prologue on Saturday. Previously, as planned, I gave out invitations assigning ranks to the players. It was a fun little thing, and more atmospheric than shuffling and passing out the cards. My experience using sealing wax was a little mixed- first one came out great, the others I had more trouble with (maybe going too fast so the wax was too hot?). It was also a bit tricky to do because I expected the wax sticks to have wicks, but they didn't. So, wax in one hand, lighter in the other to keep it dripping.

An added feature- my computer chair is a bit nicer than the other chairs we have at the game table, so I'll often use it. Since I had the Prince card, I set it up, with the rest of the the roles keying off of me. We decided that it would be the prince's chair, one little benefit for winning a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a nice instruction picture on a set on Amazon. It said to melt the wax into a spoon. And then once you have enough, pour it on the envelope, wait 10 sec., then imprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas in this thread! I like the wax and paper idea, and the colored writing instruments.

I found some colored pencils. I am playing first time tomorrow so don't have time for the fancier ideas. BUT I got some incense wax at the store, going to see if OfficeMax has some fancy parchment paper. And the fancy end of my parents silverware will do in a pinch for the seal on the way.

Other ideas I've seen in other threads, the leather nautical journal for session reports:
https://www.amazon.com/Refillable-MALEDEN-Embossed-Notebook-...
Future session (I'd take session notes otherwise for first game)

Painting the ships (I'd let players paint them as they will). Thread about painting here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638318/painting-ships
Future session

I have metal coins (from the best damn metal coins kickstarter years ago) including pirate theme and pieces of 8 theme.

I had some wooden mini treasure chests somewhere, but ARGH I CANNOT FIND THEM. I'll keep looking, maybe for a future session.

And an idea of my own, the olfactory sense:
http://adventurescents.com
Perhaps pirate scent or sandy beach scent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played the Prologue and Game 1 yesterday, journals were really awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up some colored markers and I made these over the weekend for our game on Tuesday.

This is how I'll pass out our first titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
I picked up some colored markers and I made these over the weekend for our game on Tuesday.

This is how I'll pass out our first titles.

Can I ask what you wrote in them? Was it based from the back of the provinces or something you made up yourself? I'm planning on doing this but don't really know what to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:

Can I ask what you wrote in them? Was it based from the back of the provinces or something you made up yourself? I'm planning on doing this but don't really know what to write.

I mostly made it up. There's another guy who had a really really long letter. I think I started mine with the same first couple words as his and then just went with it from there. I wanted to give them a good reason for playing and what they needed to do. Everything else, like the names I made up. If you'd like you can use the text I have.

Edit: Looks like I missed the part where you asked what the text was. Here it is:

Title,

Please allow me to inform you of an opportunity of the most vital nature.

Our Highness Emperor Galahad IV is without an heir. You have been chosen to compete for his lands and titles.

Whomever can bring the most Glory to his province shall be named the next Emperor.

Cordially,
Anton DeBrova
High Councilor
Sea Fall Court

(Crap. I spelled Emperor wrong in my letters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

I mostly made it up. There's another guy who had a really really long letter. I think I started mine with the same first couple words as his and then just went with it from there. I wanted to give them a good reason for playing and what they needed to do. Everything else, like the names I made up. If you'd like you can use the text I have.

Edit: Looks like I missed the part where you asked what the text was. Here it is:

Title,

Please allow me to inform you of an opportunity of the most vital nature.

Our Highness Emperor Galahad IV is without an heir. You have been chosen to compete for his lands and titles.

Whomever can bring the most Glory to his province will be named the next Emperor.

Cordially,
Anton DeBrova
High Councilor
Sea Fall Court

(Crap. I spelled Emperor wrong in my letters.)

Awesome thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!

I just realized it was "...shall be named...", not "...will be named...". Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.