United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the miniaturization of today's technology I was wondering if some company put five separate hard disk drive platter drives along with a RAID controller to fit inside of a 2.5" form factor internal hard disk drive. There could be blinky lights to indicate RAID status. This seems like the easiest solution for a non-computer person to buy for a good data protection plan. What say you chit chat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that the expense of such a setup would make SSD a better solution for most applications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
I'm guessing that the expense of such a setup would make SSD a better solution for most applications.

SSDs, while awesome, do not make for good long-term backup solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
SSDs, while awesome, do not make for good long-term backup solutions.

they are just as reliable as hard disk drives now a days if not more so. SSD only have cost to compete with now.

A raid solution is just using an old tech better, its not going to be better than new tech. save what you want in 2 indepent spots because everything out there is prone to fail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
hamzy wrote:
Given the miniaturization of today's technology I was wondering if some company put five separate hard disk drive platter drives along with a RAID controller to fit inside of a 2.5" form factor internal hard disk drive. There could be blinky lights to indicate RAID status. This seems like the easiest solution for a non-computer person to buy for a good data protection plan. What say you chit chat?

So, uh, how does one swap out a failed drive with a new one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:

Putting drives in external enclosures are super simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
hamzy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:

But that isn't what you were talking about, or so it seemed.

What you want already exists, and is called e-sata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:

Could you at least also highlight the fitting in five separate hard drives with a RAID controller? Everything can fit inside of one 2.5" form factor.

+------------------------+
| eSATA <-> RAID5 -> HD0 |
| -> HD1 |
| -> HD2 | 2.5" form factor case
| -> HD3 |
| -> HD4 |

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
hamzy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
hamzy wrote:

Could you at least also highlight the fitting in five separate hard drives with a RAID controller? Everything can fit inside of one 2.5" form factor.

| eSATA <-> RAID5 -> HD0 |
| -> HD1 |
| -> HD2 | 2.5" form factor case
| -> HD3 |
| -> HD4 |

So you want 5 full, modern HDDs inside a single 2.5" enclosure - plus the RAID hardware?

No, you're not going to get that. Why do you think HDDs are the size they are? And again I ask, how are you going to swap out a failed drive? Supposing you had the gear you want in that tiny case, with that sort of cramming and customisation there's no way you could just crack it open, unscrew and unplug, and then put it back with a new drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the closest that I have found so far is:

Quote:
The growing demand for low-cost, high-capacity, and compact storage for mobile devices is pushing development of small form-factor hard drives and the first of a new generation of sub-1-inch drives should hit the market in 2004. ... That's smaller than the CompactFlash form-factor Microdrive produced by Hitachi, which is based on a 1-inch platter

That was back in 2004. Theoretically there could have been a microdrive with a mSATA interface. But everyone seemed to go pure SSD drives with the mSATA form factor.

And another thing I found was:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/Dual-mSATA-SSD-to-2-5-...

Unfortunately, that only does RAID0 or RAID1. And you can probably fit two more inside of a 3.5" form factor. However there was this statement:

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/skyera-re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats old (basically the latest news was from 2009) and not really applicable.
ok lemme just say its been years since I actually worked on RAID setups so catch me if I'm off there but I think I'm fine as I'm kinda talking in general terms.

First off RAID was dreamed up to make hard drives faster and more reliable. Now that we have SSD they need to restructure how to treat them in RAID setups. You mention RAID 5 as your example which is fine for HD but SSD as far as I can guess would be RAID 1 setup as it gets your reliability. ok but thats all a side point in saying you can make SSD as redundant as HD.

Your brainstorming a way to fit something large and reliable in a 2.5 form factor. Flash memory is known to fit better in tiny situations and its exponentially getting better at that at this point is basically a pride race as I cant imagine using a 60TB hard drive
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/seagate-unveils-60tb-...
Yes I know thats not 2.5 but talk about timing lol....there is a 2.5 with 30TB that was announced a few months back (cant find the link though, all im getting is the 15TB that was last year)

HD, though still useful, are an analog solution to a problem we now have a digital answer for.

edit add: heres a better read on the news I linked
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-samsung-huawei-worl...
I'd love to see if the data density of the smaller ones can in fact be directly scaled like I'm sure their trying to imply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.