Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Bailey
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
That's what thon said.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to demo this game at Gen Con and immediately bought it. It got me excited enough that my wife and I have been thinking about other traits that can be brought into the game (some of our ideas below). I look forward to potential expansions for this game, though I realize game length is partially determined by the number of cards in the deck so any expansions would have to deal with that.

Omnivore
If this species is a Carnivore, it may also eat from the Watering Hole.

Hibernation
Discard Hibernation to prevent this species from eating, going extinct, or being attacked until the start of your next turn.

Metamorphosis
You may discard all traits from this species to draw an equal number of cards from the deck.

Ruminant
When this species eats from the Watering Hole, place a food on this card. Lose a food from this card when this species is attacked. At the start of your turn, place all food on this card in your bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out Evolution, Evolution: Flight, and Evolution: Climate for some pretty good ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Ah_Pook said, the rest of the Evolution Game System has a lot of great Traits. Stepping up into the full system is a great next step once you've got a firm handle on Evolution: The Beginning.

bosworthdelajive wrote:

Omnivore
If this species is a Carnivore, it may also eat from the Watering Hole.

Carnivore is a great Trait found throughout the entire System, but it's firmly in it's niche. It's balanced. Giving a well-built species Carnivore can almost guarantee survival when the watering hole runs empty (which is a problem that occurs only in the Base game and onwards [it was specifically 'walled off' in The Beginning to make it more fun and harder to fall behind completely]).

Remember that you can freely discard a Trait off of a species at any time during your Adapt phase, even if you don't replace it. I've often binned Carnivore in order to keep a species on its feet.

bosworthdelajive wrote:

Hibernation
Discard Hibernation to prevent this species from eating, going extinct, or being attacked until the start of your next turn.

This is actually a new Trait in Evoution: Climate. That version of Hibernation allows a species to ignore two population when determining if a species is Hungry. It's great! It synergizes with Burrowing to allow a species to 'go underground' and still eat, thus protecting against Carnivores. It also allows any species to survive a starvation round (if, for example, every species Adapts to defend against a previously rampant Carnivore species).

bosworthdelajive wrote:

Metamorphosis
You may discard all traits from this species to draw an equal number of cards from the deck.

Some of the earlier Kickstarters came with promo (read: non-playtested, completely option 'flavor' cards to mix into the deck sometimes) 'Event' cards that were a bit like Instants in Magic: The Gathering. It seems like that line of development was pared off as a killed-darling in order to keep the game streamlined and balanced. One of those was 'Rapid Mutation' which read:

Rapid Mutation wrote:

When the traits are revealed, draw 3 cards. Discard this card and replace it with a card from your hand, then discard 2 cards from your hand.

It doesn't appear in the game proper. I expect because of balancing and because you can already BASICALLY do the same thing by putting three cards on a one-population species that someone's carnivore can eat. You'll get to draw cards to replace the lost ones. Additionally, in Climate, you can freely discard cards facedown to the bottom of the draw deck at the end of your 'Play Cards' phase.

Climate Rules wrote:

After a player has finished playing cards for the round, he may discard any number of cards from his hand and draw the same number of new cards from the Draw Deck. The discarded cards are placed face-down at the bottom of the Draw Deck (to be dealt at a later time). The new cards cannot be played until the next round. A player may not discard more cards than are available in the Draw Deck.

bosworthdelajive wrote:

Ruminant
When this species eats from the Watering Hole, place a food on this card. Lose a food from this card when this species is attacked. At the start of your turn, place all food on this card in your bag.

I really like this one. It's like a combination of Foraging and Fat Tissue from the Base game! At first glance, it seems to balance itself by forcing you to lose food if you're attacked. I would almost change it to place BOTH food tokens on the card and lose TWO (or even three!) tokens when attacked.

I'm so excited to see so many new folks getting into Evolution. It really is one of the greatest card games on the market. There is so much strategy hidden inside all of the balancing that North Star has done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
I would really like to see some mini expansions for this. This is just the right weight for my group (fiancee and 15 year old nephew), as I don't think they will enjoy the full game quite as much. I still plan on picking up Evolution Climate though and forcing them to play lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.