BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help! Did I imagine this 1980's board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elaine Mick
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hi! I am a mommy to three little girls, and when I was about the age of my oldest, I strongly remember playing a 3-D (pop up, diorama style) board game that had four quadrants. (The closest game I can think of that fits the way the board game looked is the ghost castle game) but I am pretty sure that my game was two tiers...but maybe not....but I really think so!)

I do not remember the object of the game, but I remember that one quadrant was a forest/jungle. In my memory it was almost as magical as fireball mountain, but not plastic like that. I would play with the game board without even playing the game because I liked it so much.

I have googled searching for this mysterious game for 2-3 hours to the best of my ability (my husband says I've reached the end of the internet with all my cruising, so I know I'm usually pretty resourceful without forums!)

My dad, who had the steel trap memory, has passed away, and my mom doesn't remember the game at all, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

My mom always liked off the beaten path brands, like Discovery Toys and Ravensburger, so I don't know if that helps anyone.

I am at an impasse, but I'd love to rediscover (or at least prove that I didn't dream it up!) this game (circa late 1980's or early 90's). I am also 90% sure it wasn't a Disney pop-up game. I feel like the artwork on the game was similar to a Bernstein Bears book, but more intense in color.

Okay...I hope this helps trigger someone elses memory! I can't wait to hear some suggestions to check out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game that I can think of that's similar is the Wuzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankElaine

I want to play... (This is an unlikely outsider.)

Key to the Kingdom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a trend in pop-up books then, so I'm sure that extended to some games. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh what a mountain 1980-82?
maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Welcome to BGG Elaine! Now you've piqued my curiosity. If ever you find out, post here please! Subscribed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy guess: Masters of the Universe Pop-Up Game from 1982?

(More here: http://aboardgameaday.blogspot.dk/2013/02/masters-of-univers...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Was it one of the Relic Raider games?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objec...

Nevermind, the year is wrong.

Edit: There seems to have been a line of pop up games released in 1982 that includes The Road Runner, Sesame Street, Masters of the Universe, and Mickey Mouse. Perhaps it is one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Real Ghostbusters Game had a board divided into four with uprights, though I don't think any of the four sections resembled a forest or jungle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con
mbmbmbmbmb
Ewoks Save The Trees! maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Using google-fu and an old BGG geeklist of games with multiple levels I could only find one game that had that look:

Just William Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't perfectly match your recollection, (the big tree doesn't divide the game in quadrants,) but your description reminded me a game that I had in the early 80's: The Shirt Tales Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was more 90s, but Talisman had a big tower in the middle if you bought the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Using google-fu and an old BGG geeklist of games with multiple levels I could only find one game that had that look:

Just William Game

Wow. That is something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool!
That top black plastic piece is the same one used in Which Witch?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't Masters of the Universe Pop up Game was it? It's not a tree, but it has tiers and a jungle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
Did anyone find it?

Unknown. Poster hasn't been back since posting the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Kind of sounds like:

Which witch?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1613/which-witch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xflame wrote:

We had Which Witch and also Good Ol' Charlie Brown Game, which was as much fun to set up but not as fun to play.

Neither is what the OP is looking for. I don't recognize her description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Atkins
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also probably unlikely but I found The Smurf Game in my Googling. It has the pop-up board with some forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody else still wondering what Elaine's childhood game really was? She hasn't logged onto BGG since the original post. I already sent her a BGG message, but she hasn't responded. Chances are that she hasn't set up forwarding of BGG messages to her email and/or that she forgot her BGG login - or perhaps she's just been busy and forgot about her post. Anyhow, we need to know if someone has come even close to identifying her game!

In the meantime, I've honed my detective-ing skills by trying to find another way of getting in touch with her. Going from her BGG user profile, OP's real name is Elaine (A.?) Mick, she's from Kansas, and she has 3 small daughters. Facebook currently lists just five of that name (https://www.facebook.com/public/Elaine-Mick), so I'm guessing there's a good chance this might be her: https://www.facebook.com/elaine.mick.790.

I have never had a Facebook account, so I don't even know if this is at all possible, but could someone try and message her and ask her if she found out what this childhood game of hers was called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best friend through the eighties had a game that was very similar, card walls that made the quadrants. Can't remember the detail, only that it was never our absolute favourite and didn't get that much play time.

Sort of haunted theme - maybe a spinner to move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Anybody else still wondering what Elaine's childhood game really was? She hasn't logged onto BGG since the original post. I already sent her a BGG message, but she hasn't responded. Chances are that she hasn't set up forwarding of BGG messages to her email and/or that she forgot her BGG login - or perhaps she's just been busy and forgot about her post. Anyhow, we need to know if someone has come even close to identifying her game!

In the meantime, I've honed my detective-ing skills by trying to find another way of getting in touch with her. Going from her BGG user profile, OP's real name is Elaine (A.?) Mick, she's from Kansas, and she has 3 small daughters. Facebook currently lists just five of that name (https://www.facebook.com/public/Elaine-Mick), so I'm guessing there's a good chance this might be her: https://www.facebook.com/elaine.mick.790.

I have never had a Facebook account, so I don't even know if this is at all possible, but could someone try and message her and ask her if she found out what this childhood game of hers was called?

Looks like she hasn't used that account since 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:

We didn't find your game, but we did find you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.