Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recall a game with as much traffic in the first few days post-release.

I'm about to unsub, just because my BGG front page is 90% MOM:SE bombarded.

What do I take from this? Of course, I'm adding to the problem! But otherwise... the game is sitting on the floor next to me. Not opened yet - and suddenly I don't want to open it 'cos I'm worried I will spend 2 weeks reading FAQs online given the number of triggered subs I'm getting.

Thoughts? Is this just new-game-itis? Or is it broken? Are we getting more needy with our rules questions (or are we just thicker?) - I need to know. A bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
It was the same with descent second edition,
I didn't play yet MoM2 because of the apps ... but I keep reading everything is posted here about it ...
what can I say...
open the damn box and start to play !!!
and please let us know. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is quite simple compared to Descent I wouldn't worry about it. Read over the Learn to Play rules and dive in. Most of the rules questions posted here are straightforwardly resolved by checking the rule book.

I opened mine today and am at least halfway through the opening scenario, and have had no problems. Dive in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the "unclear" things I have seen so far are clearly expressed in the rulebook, also the same things are asked again in new threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "new-game-itis." We've got a very popular IP with the Lovecraft stuff, plus it's Fantasy Flight, plus it's a remake of a very popular game. Of course it's going to get a lot of traffic.

The rules really aren't that hard to grasp. With one good reading of the ruleset, I was playing my first game and I'd NEVER played Mansions of Madness before, even 1st edition. As with any game, I imagine the frenzy of posts will die down, but yeah, I wouldn't blame you for unsubbing for a little while until the initial fervor dies down.

Don't let that new game just sit there on the floor! Open it up, marvel at the beautiful boards pieces, get frustrated trying to get the monster tokens to slot into their bases, and give the game a playthrough. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
haha, I'm noticing the same thing!

Luckily most of the posts appear to be minor, or just commenting on some aspect of the game. Those that note problems with the app are a bit alarming, but by the time I get around to buying and playing it, hopefully they'll be all patched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. People are excited about it because a lot of folks liked MoM1 and this is the first new development in the line since The Laboratory.
2. The game was announced just before release, so the posting is concentrated rather than there being a flurry of posts at announcement followed by another flurry months later at release.
3. The existence of the app means there is a related set of threads dedicated to it (is it good/bad, should games have apps/not have apps)
4. There are some issues with the app and some of the components.

Take it all together and you have a high post volume in a short span of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies, thanks - I am suitably convinced! I will open it up this weekend. And then post a load of crap questions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:

I'm about to unsub, just because my BGG front page is 90% MOM:SE bombarded.

What do I take from this? Of course, I'm adding to the problem! But otherwise... the game is sitting on the floor next to me. Not opened yet - and suddenly I don't want to open it 'cos I'm worried I will spend 2 weeks reading FAQs online given the number of triggered subs I'm getting.

Thoughts? Is this just new-game-itis? Or is it broken? Are we getting more needy with our rules questions (or are we just thicker?) - I need to know. A bit.

Aside from the deluge of app related posts (initially exploring the philosophic necessity, and more recently bug related), mostly they've been small clarifications which ultimately were answered directly by people keen on the printed rules. As to the bug concern, the new patch got dropped today which hopefully resolved all of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Most of the "unclear" things I have seen so far are clearly expressed in the rulebook, also the same things are asked again in new threads.

This. I think there has been some assumptions on the way some mechanics worked from first edition being in second edition too. There are a lot of differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it for the 1st time last night. Only problem we had was with range and horror checks. wasn't super clear. Funny enough 1st edition rulebook was super clear. (horror checks and range does not work through doors, even ones you've opened.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened and played it today. I had one question, answered by the rules, but I wanted to double-check here because case was surprising to me. There was already a thread that answered my question (the rules were correct - shocker).

The game ran fine and I had good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall Star Wars Rebellion and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game having a ton of posts their first few weeks they were out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find people are not reading previous threads and starting new ones on topics already discussed.

I wish people when they have a problem with the rules, rather than post the question up straight away, go and read the other threads to see if it has already been answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:

Then you simply havent watched as many games as closely. This happens all the time and has happened way worse with other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was too many posts for me, so I unsubbed and then check in every couple of days to browse. Once it settles down and the flow of traffic decreases, I'll re-sub. Nothing wrong with it, but I was coming on BGG and having a full page of just MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always remember that Pathfinder ACG had a TON of posts when it came out. A lot of people had confusion about the same issues but came into the game at slightly different times. And, go figure, it was hard to find answers among the countless countless threads, so they'd ask with a new thread, unaware that they were violating the standards of common BGG forum decency, so plenty of forum police told them so. It wasn't a great time to be a fan of the game if you also found the rules a little difficult to understand.

It finally calmed down and now the people in the threads are almost universally polite. The forum police have moved elsewhere.

Bottom line, it's selection bias. What you're seeing isn't new at all. Some game is ALWAYS going to be at the top of the Hotness and seeing the most activity. In a few months, it'll probably be Seafall or something else getting bombarded with new threads and MoM2 will quiet down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also attributing the fact that we didn't even know (well, the average person anyway, not counting playtesters) that this game existed, or was going to exist until a week before it released. So the quick ramp up from speculation to review and a deluge of questions that didn't have the usual few months of air time also contributes to the volume of posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Everything's gone quiet... guess everyone is playing or sleeping... oops, another unnecessary post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, can I use the app to play just my 1st Edition scenarios, or do I need to buy 2nd Edition? Where can I buy the Conversion Kit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
I'd skip the second scenario unless you're going to play as five investigators. It can seem a little cheatey and when you think it's finished, it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
I find people are not reading previous threads and starting new ones on topics already discussed.

I wish people when they have a problem with the rules, rather than post the question up straight away, go and read the other threads to see if it has already been answered.

Something that might help here is if folks starting threads, especially rules threads, would supply useful titles. It's much harder to find answers to specific questions when the answer is found in a thread with a subject like "I have a couple of questions". Better to ask each question separately with a more descriptive title. Google does help with this somewhat but when that fails, I skim the list of subjects looking for something that sounds like my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
So, can I use the app to play just my 1st Edition scenarios, or do I need to buy 2nd Edition? Where can I buy the Conversion Kit?

You need to buy second edition. The conversion kit comes with 2nd Ed and has updated character sheets and monster tiles for your 1st Ed minis/investigators so that you can use them in 2nd. In the menu of the app, you can go to My Collection and let the app know that you have 1st Ed, and it will use those maps tiles and monsters in the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

You need to buy second edition. The conversion kit comes with 2nd Ed and has updated character sheets and monster tiles for your 1st Ed minis/investigators so that you can use them in 2nd. In the menu of the app, you can go to My Collection and let the app know that you have 1st Ed, and it will use those maps tiles and monsters in the scenarios.

Gee, thanks! I have no idea how I would have found that out otherwise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:

Due to real life I had about 2 days away from the boards, it's then taken me about 3 days to get down to only 20-odd threads in my subscriptions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.