Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 6 scenarios over the past few days and it has been a blast! Just looked into this game about a month ago and can't believe how fun the solo experience has been so far!

I am also surprised at the general forum how many new people are coming into the game now too. Looks like a strong community for an older game. I traded for my whole collection which is:
Core set x2

Deluxe expansions:
Khazad-dûm

Saga Expansions:
The Road Darkens

Shadows over Mirkwood cycle:
Conflict at carrok
A journey to Rhosgobel
Return to Mirkwood
The Hills of Emyn Muil
The Hunt for Gollum
Missing - Dead Marshes

Stand alone scenarios:
The Massing at Osgiliath

Havent open the Saga expansion as I am waiting for a few scenarios under my belt then get the joy of adding new cards!

River down the Anduin was so fun! I played it blind and somehow guess exactly what to do. I lowered my threat on the first stage and just built up for a few turns keeping the troll at bay and then blitz through the journey in 2 turns to only have 1 enemy waiting for me at the end! Such a fun experience.

Anyways just a positive note for those considering it and giving the community a heads up the game is still bringing in new players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I still rank this game as # 1 in my collection. I played it solitaire for years, and now play it with a full compliment of four on a regular basis as well- and it provides interesting, thematic, and challenging fun every time. Really glad you have found it! A lot of newbies are put off by the difficulty of the base set, but persistence pays off well for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! Get yourself a Lord of the Rings micro badge on me, if you like.

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/20078
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
Yes, I still rank this game as # 1 in my collection. I played it solitaire for years, and now play it with a full compliment of four on a regular basis as well- and it provides interesting, thematic, and challenging fun every time. Really glad you have found it! A lot of newbies are put off by the difficulty of the base set, but persistence pays off well for this game.

That would be me. I bought the base a few weeks ago and have tried the first scenario several times. But I keep making basic mistakes and abandoning it part way through. So far it just seems to be turning cards. I can't say the theme has kicked in at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Mwroskam wrote:

That would be me. I bought the base a few weeks ago and have tried the first scenario several times. But I keep making basic mistakes and abandoning it part way through. So far it just seems to be turning cards. I can't say the theme has kicked in at all.

I hope you aren't using the tactics deck. It's way too easy to get overrun with locations. This is the hardest deck to win with in the core yet everyone grabs it first. They should have put a warning on the box, seriously. Put it back and try one of the other three. If you are really new and still having trouble than take a look at Rodney Smith's Watch it Played series, wbich he happened to win with tactics. He's silly that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Mwroskam wrote:

I hope you aren't using the tactics deck. It's way too easy to get overrun with locations. This is the hardest deck to win with in the core yet everyone grabs it first. They should have put a warning on the box, seriously. Put it back and try one of the other three. If you are really new and still having trouble than take a look at Rodney Smith's Watch it Played series, wbich he happened to win with tactics. He's silly that way.

Thank you. I will try a few of the others. The one I am using has the "G" rune on it. The one Gandalf uses as his signature in the books. Not sure but I think that is leadership. I just picked up the first set that came out of the box.

Yes I have come across "Watch it played". It has been a tremendous help. But I still keep making silly mistakes. Than realizing several turns later and deciding it is too hard to correct in hindsight and just abandon that game. Plus I probably should pull out the gold ring cards at least until I get the rules sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you should remove the gold ring cards. This will set up a mode of play referred to as easy mode. More importantly, you get to start with an extra resource token on your heroes. It seems like a little bump but it really gives your deck a jumpstart. Before you know it, you'll be ready for Nightmare Mode devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingmar Hauge
Norway
No way
flag msg tools
It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone. More or less. Let me fly. Far away from here. Fun fun fun. In the sun sun sun...
badge
Darn, I'm Dwayne Dibbley again....
mbmbmbmbmb
Before opening The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens you might want to have a look at the the 2 hobbit saga expansion and at least The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Black Riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Love it! Get yourself a Lord of the Rings micro badge on me, if you like.

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/20078

Thank you very much! Supporting my new badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies! Suffered my first loss yesterday. My deck lost to Conflict at Carrock twice but on the 3rd attempt I was able to win. Keeping the trolls at bay was definitely a fun challenge. Current record is 4/2, which inst to bad for playing solo and making my own deck

Inmarg wrote:
Before opening The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens you might want to have a look at the the 2 hobbit saga expansion and at least The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Black Riders.

Thanks, I dint even notice that I received the 2nd expansion and not the first. Will need to buy that shortly then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.