Support:

Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

As stated, new player here. I picked this game up in a trade and have been reading the Shipyard like it was candy waiting for my package to arrive. I'm just looking for some guidance on what ships to get. I am friends with the local FLGS guy and he has some packs in storage (plus some newer stuff, and no Defiant or Voyager, just FYI) and am wondering what I should get. I can only afford 8 ships right now (maybe 9), so am looking for some help from the following list.

Before I go too far, I have a buddy who has ALL the romulan stuff, so I am not getting any romulan stuff. We can mix/match our fleets no problem.

I'm a huge fan of DS9, I'm looking for just casual play, and I don't like the Borg/have no desire to purchase their ships since I won't do tourney play and just don't like them. Maybe later, but for now just sticking with Federation/Klingon/Dominion.

Here is what I picked up:
Base Set x1
Akorem
Val Jean
I.K.S Gr'oth
U.S.S Reliant
2nd Division Battle Cruiser
4th Division Battleship
5th Division Patrol Ship
DS9 (just the cardboard cutout. It's on the want list cause it looks AWESOME)
Federation Attack Fighters (retail)
Hideki attack fighers (retail)

Here is what he has available. I'm looking to make viable 125-150 points fleets per faction/per dominion war sides, so I'll list what is available and what I think I want to get by faction.

Federation:
USS Venture (multiple packs)
USS Thunderchild
USS Valiant
USS Phoenix
USS Prometheus
Enterprise NX-01
USS Excelsior
Robinson
Tinyprise (new version)

Klingon:
IKS Drovana
IKS T'Ong
IKS Amar
IKS Rotarran
Chang's Bird of Prey
IKS Kronos One
IKS Negh'Var (one copy of old, many of new)

Dominion:
Reklar
Koranak
Kraxon

As stated, I'm looking for fleet values and the ability to get some sort of dominion war scenarios going on, but also have viable independent fleets in the 100-150 point range.

Here is what I am thinking of getting. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

USS Venture x1 (maybe x2? She looks cool/has some great upgrades)
Tinyprise
USS Phoenix
Reklar
Koranak (definitely this one)
Kraxon
IKS Negh'var (I think I like the reprint paint version better, but no difference in cards so.. it doesn't really matter)
IKS Drovana
And maybe the Rotarran

I plan on getting the Enterprise E when she comes out just for future reference, and probably the B. I love the way she looks.

any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've got a good grasp on things. A Koraga for Klingons might be better for cards than the Rotarran, but the Rotarran fits with your Dominion War theme, so that's a toss up. I'd but either of those slightly ahead of the Drovana on cards, but another vor'cha is nice to have.

1 Venture should hold you for awhile. You can always proxy copy upgrades for fun, and I'd recommend new ships before duplicates.

You've reminded me that I've fallen behind in writing up ship reviews. Hopefully I'll get to them soon. At least the repaints don't add anything new.

Welcome to the game, glad to have you around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your Klingon and Dominion choices are exactly right. I personally would go with the Excelsior and NX-01 over the Phoenix and the Venture. (edit: that would leave your Fed fleet a little weaker on attack, although you'll have the fighters and (soon) the Ent-E.)

Excelsior's got a nice assortment of useful, if not essential, content, and the NX-01 fulfills a unique niche, being both cheap (and, with EHP) shockingly durable. Admiral Forrest is also outstanding. (Though I understand that a lot of people aren't interested in Enterprise, or just find the era-dissonance of having it show up to the Battle of Cardassia too much to bear.) The Thunderchild is also a little more highly regarded than the Phoenix, though it doesn't really make a huge difference either way.

But yeah, those are all pretty minor points; your list is perfectly good as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! I really appreciate the advice. I'm thinking I may drop the Droavan and add the Thunderchild and the Enterprise NX instead. Still have a decent Klingon fleet with the Rotarran mixed in there. We'll see how willing to deal he is.

Thanks!

I'm not soo concerned about who fights in what time (if you can't tell since I'm getting the Tinyprise), so the NX is fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
Thank you both! I really appreciate the advice. I'm thinking I may drop the Droavan and add the Thunderchild and the Enterprise NX instead. Still have a decent Klingon fleet with the Rotarran mixed in there. We'll see how willing to deal he is.

Thanks!

I'm not soo concerned about who fights in what time (if you can't tell since I'm getting the Tinyprise), so the NX is fine by me.

Dude, don't drop the Drovana! It's ESSENTIAL for a good Klingon fleet! It's got:

1. Admiral Gowron who gives you a FREE Battle Stations every turn!
2. Klingon Cloaked Mines!
3. Detonation Codes which blow up other player's minefields!
4. The I.K.S. Drovana which is an excellent Klingon ship!

Seriously, don't drop the Drovana!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check! Keep Drovana... On it.

Too many choices!!!!!!

But thank you for all the advice. Seriously!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
You should wait a bit to get the Koranak repaint and save a few bucks.

Assuming that they weren't offering the repaint in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the older version. There are no differences beyond the paint job in any of these, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming it follows the pattern set so far? No, but you could save yourself cash by pre-ordering the repaint. *shrug* If you only want one of this expansion, it's not that big a difference, but it starts adding up quick when you buy multiples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice! I'll see if he is willing to deal.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing. ^^ STAW's an expensive game to follow, so it's always good to save where you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! If you can't find the ships you want locally, check out CoolStuff - Miniature Market actually raised the price of their STAW ships earlier this year. (used to be $10.49 each) CoolStuff ships are $9.99 each. (you can get free shipping at $100)

And if you still can't find hard to find ships, try to track down some local store websites. My local store (Google "Blue Ox Games") for example, has the Borg Tactical Cube, Borg Sphere, multiple Koronaks, etc still in stock. ($12.99 and Tact Cube is $22.99) They do ship.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.