Subject: Playing Without The Original rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking about picking up DoW, and I saw my FLGS has The Long Night. I know that I CAN play The Long Night Standalone, but does it make it not worth it doing that, or would you need to invest in both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some video reviewers are saying that if you had to get only one, this is the one - maybe not the original!

Check out the dice tower and board game brawl vid reviews for their final comments on this topic to get a sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say get TLN. You can play it 'base'....and the only thing you miss the variety in a few decks if you had both. PLUS - you get the modules. TBH...the rules don't give a lot of direction combining the sets. The easiest is just adding survivors and objectives. At any rate...I'd say if you don't own base, go TLN because you get more variance with the crazy modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, there are fewer survivors in TLN. Adding them in later, along with the new objectives and missions and items, can make for a very new experience. They are also working on a small expansion that involves the two colonies battling it out so having both may be relevant to your interests if that sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually thought about this a lot since I got my copy and after two plays, I'm still not sure how to answer your question easily. Here is my take...

The Long Night is a great stand along product. But when DoW first came out the people who played it a lot quickly complained about the lack of crossroad cards, or how often they were seeing the same ones trigger (or not trigger). They complained about the need for more secret objectives because some were too obvious once you've played a few times and were more familiar with them. And of course, they looked forward to expansions which would add more new characters.

The Long Night doesn't fix any of these initial concerns and, in fact, makes these "issues" worse. There is noticeably less crossroad cards in TLN and I've only just taken a quick scan, but they seem a bit more specific as well compared to the more general crossroads in the first game. in our first game, only 1 triggered. So for our second game, I pulled the "general" crossroads from the original game (ie. the cards that trigger when at the colony, or when moving/searching) to pad the deck and get more of the cards into the game.

Also, TLN comes with less main objectives and less characters. If you play a 5p game, you will start with half the characters in play. So you may tire even quicker of the characters. Especially since a couple of them are specific to the modules you decide to play with. I would also be curious about how others feel, but I've skipped the two "introduction" missions completely and am not sure if I will ever bother playing them. Three of the main objective cards are for introducing the new modules and have some story you follow in the rule book. So you read, use card/objective 1, then read and move to objective card 2 then 3. One side is for Raxxon and the other side is for Bandits. I think if you are experienced with DoW, you will probably not bother with these at all as you want to use these modules right from the start. So in a sense, there is only 5 main objectives you will regularly use.

Also, the modules, while amazing and I love them, make the game seem a bit more segmented. So while you get a TON of stuff in the box, generally it is less base stuff compared to the original game. And you may not always play with certain module components.

So the tl;dr version is there is way more stuff in The Long Night, but in a way there is also less stuff. And I think a good case can be made that the "less" aspect of it is the main gameplay components people will quickly want more of if you play a lot.

After that overly long explanation - The Long Night is great, but if you think you will ONLY but 1 version of the game, get the original. Easy. There is more replayability there compared to TLN due to more survivors, more crossroads, more main objectives. If you think you will be getting both, you can absolutely get TLN first and play it a while and have a blast. There is a lot of great stuff in there. But this is a stand alone expansion, which means some of the decisions made regarding components were intended to be just enough until you expand it by mixing the two sets. Specifically, I am talking about the lack of crossroad cards, less survivors and fewer main objectives with TLN. You are going to WANT more of these and possibly very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post above. The only stop gap you could do is print out the main objectives from the base (since they don't really need to be cards...you could just choose do to 'we need more samples' for examples).

But for the rest, I agree with you. Seems you get a little less 'base' game in TLN. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have 30 plays of base - really like it. Now my challenge is how to properly combine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mools wrote:
I've actually thought about this a lot since I got my copy and after two plays, I'm still not sure how to answer your question easily. Here is my take...

The Long Night is a great stand along product. But when DoW first came out the people who played it a lot quickly complained about the lack of crossroad cards, or how often they were seeing the same ones trigger (or not trigger). They complained about the need for more secret objectives because some were too obvious once you've played a few times and were more familiar with them. And of course, they looked forward to expansions which would add more new characters.

The Long Night doesn't fix any of these initial concerns and, in fact, makes these "issues" worse. There is noticeably less crossroad cards in TLN and I've only just taken a quick scan, but they seem a bit more specific as well compared to the more general crossroads in the first game. in our first game, only 1 triggered. So for our second game, I pulled the "general" crossroads from the original game (ie. the cards that trigger when at the colony, or when moving/searching) to pad the deck and get more of the cards into the game.

Also, TLN comes with less main objectives and less characters. If you play a 5p game, you will start with half the characters in play. So you may tire even quicker of the characters. Especially since a couple of them are specific to the modules you decide to play with. I would also be curious about how others feel, but I've skipped the two "introduction" missions completely and am not sure if I will ever bother playing them. Three of the main objective cards are for introducing the new modules and have some story you follow in the rule book. So you read, use card/objective 1, then read and move to objective card 2 then 3. One side is for Raxxon and the other side is for Bandits. I think if you are experienced with DoW, you will probably not bother with these at all as you want to use these modules right from the start. So in a sense, there is only 5 main objectives you will regularly use.

Also, the modules, while amazing and I love them, make the game seem a bit more segmented. So while you get a TON of stuff in the box, generally it is less base stuff compared to the original game. And you may not always play with certain module components.

So the tl;dr version is there is way more stuff in The Long Night, but in a way there is also less stuff. And I think a good case can be made that the "less" aspect of it is the main gameplay components people will quickly want more of if you play a lot.

After that overly long explanation - The Long Night is great, but if you think you will ONLY but 1 version of the game, get the original. Easy. There is more replayability there compared to TLN due to more survivors, more crossroads, more main objectives. If you think you will be getting both, you can absolutely get TLN first and play it a while and have a blast. There is a lot of great stuff in there. But this is a stand alone expansion, which means some of the decisions made regarding components were intended to be just enough until you expand it by mixing the two sets. Specifically, I am talking about the lack of crossroad cards, less survivors and fewer main objectives with TLN. You are going to WANT more of these and possibly very quickly.

Damn...hell of a post, thank you! I dont think I would be getting any expansions, or other versions, than just one. Im trying to complete my Marvel Legendary set, I just picked up Star Wars: Rebellion, I want to do the late pledge for TMNT: Shadows of the Past, and I have my eye on this The Others: 7 Sins preorder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add some numbers, Long Night has 10 fewer Crossroad cards, down to 70 from 80 (69 if you don't have the pre-order bonus) and 20 survivors instead of 30 survivors in original base game.

This is, indeed, a notable difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.