Hide
18 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Genderless Survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Echo Blackthorne
msg tools
Hoping to find an answer here as our group has been debating this question all day and have yet to find a definitive answer.

Does gender have to be chosen upon survivor creation? Most notably when you perform the Intimacy event.

Personally I feel you should because:

1) flavor.. Are there really going to be genderless survivors sitting around waiting for one to be given to them.

2) certain settlement events etc that only affect a certain gender. Example "stranger in the dark" to name one.. Rolling one way affects only males - females etc. it's too easy to "cheat" the system in your favor if you have genderless survivors waiting in the wings.

Thoughts, opinions, direction towards a specific page number perhaps? Anything would be appreciated thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
We roll a die to determine gender when our settlement gains the survivor. We agreed it was too easy to cheat in our favor if we left it undefined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mb
We always do the same. Even for all the survivors found at the Lantern Hoard. Evens for Female, Odds for Male. Only the four founding survivors are predetermined being only ever two male, two female.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The First Day settlement event gives rules for new survivors. It says to choose and record genders when they're created. I used that rule for all new survivors. Naming and creating the survivor sheet can occur at any time during the settlement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly do it as we like, increasing the difficulty as we like thus determine the gender randomly as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in that case it's not a query for the rules forums, isn't it?
Rolling the gender is a "Variant", here should be discussed rules queries and clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kristiancarlson wrote:
We roll a die to determine gender when our settlement gains the survivor. We agreed it was too easy to cheat in our favor if we left it undefined.

We do the same using a two-sided die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Echo Blackthorne
msg tools
DyingTickles wrote:
The First Day settlement event gives rules for new survivors. It says to choose and record genders when they're created. I used that rule for all new survivors. Naming and creating the survivor sheet can occur at any time during the settlement phase.

I knew I saw something about it somewhere but I couldn't remember where that was. Thanks for this, it'll help when we get together next week. It might not have been in the rule book because it was something that should be "obvious" I imagine.

Also want to thank everyone for their input - it honestly never even occurred to me to roll a dice to determine gender. I should have been thinking about the rule of death but had just been keeping it even as much as possible. I'll be swapping to the dice from now on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group picks names/sex when the character defines themselves in any way (stat up; intimacy, etc.), honestly, not about gaming things but just because we usually develop naming schemes as the campaign goes, so it's more fun to pick out when they're going to do something than trying to remember if there was a reason you named that one Freddie when the campaign started and because it feels like a waste to create a vanilla character who dies a few sessions later due to some random event, having never done anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
t3clis wrote:
Rolling the gender is a "Variant", here should be discussed rules queries and clarifications.

No, it is not a variant; it is within the rules as written. The rules do not specify how gender should be chosen for new survivors, so choosing randomly is one acceptable way of choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Kristiancarlson wrote:

You always choose the gender as soon as the survivor is created. You certainly don't roll it randomly, you're making an already difficult game arbitrarily harder in a way that wasn't intended if you do that.

Yeah, there's enough randomness without random genders. Also, I thought choosing gender was supposed to be part of the overall strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mb
Remember we are a community, even if it is one united in death. Not sure if its just text without tone but a lot of snobbish comments are coming out. Enjoy the beautiful game, however you intend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
playfulkit wrote:

Also want to thank everyone for their input - it honestly never even occurred to me to roll a dice to determine gender. I should have been thinking about the rule of death)

The "Rule of Death" is that when a conflict arises that significantly slows gameplay, use the option most detrimental for the players. It's not intended to say "Make the game as hard as humanly possible on yourself, even if it means changing the rules."
People on this forum seem to forget that an awful lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
mattonyx wrote:
playfulkit wrote:

Also want to thank everyone for their input - it honestly never even occurred to me to roll a dice to determine gender. I should have been thinking about the rule of death)

The "Rule of Death" is that when a conflict arises that significantly slows gameplay, use the option most detrimental for the players. It's not intended to say "Make the game as hard as humanly possible on yourself, even if it means changing the rules."
People on this forum seem to forget that an awful lot.

It's not making it as hard as humanly possible, it's making it human.

Think about rolling a die for gender determination for a moment: until the child is born, you have no idea if it is male or female. This method of choosing gender is actually the most human thing this game has to offer us. We don't know who our children will be until they are.

And it is hardly a difficulty. Intimacy is probably the second-most common event triggered in this game. It's done often and repeatedly. The odds of getting a specific gender are 1-in-2.

And (here cometh the white knights who panned this game as sexist before it was even out) it also says quite a lot about childbirth and the value placed on the women. The intimacy table's unfavorable rolls are very heavily weighted against the mother, not the father. Historically, this is accurate, as birthing complications were quite often fatal to the mother. This makes healthy, child-bearing women much more valuble to a community than any number of men, and why throughout history, men outnumbered women in armies by 99.9%. Which is why one of the strongest motivations given to soldiers in a very bitter war is that they need to keep fighting to protect their mothers, daughters, sisters, and lovers [see Soviet Invasion of Germany 1944-45 for a larger conversation about this motivation].

To come back to the topic: having a child and saying: "Ah! Keep losing women to bad rolls. Welp, that makes this next child a woman"...it kinda defeats the game experiance.

Now, as to the Returning Survivors event: yes, you select the gender of the people. You know, the one's who were already born and not rolled for on the Intimacy chart. These people were already there, you are encountering them, not conceiving them.

Anyway, to wrap up: I would strongly advise rolling a 1d10 and using evens for girls and odds for boys. It does not, in any way, make the game harder. If you have fewer women in the settlement, then maybe you shouldn't send them out on hunts. If you have fewer men in the settlement, then maybe you shouldn't send them out on hunts. This is also a part of the game, choosing the departing survivors with the long-term view for the stability of your civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
I, too, do gender selection in returning suvivors, as directed by the game, but there arent explicit gender selection rules for intimacy event, so, using our own species as guidance, rolling for gender seems the best , at least for us. if your population is too big on women, send more women in hunts, the same if your population of men it too heavly on men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
R.A.W. is overwhelmingly in favor of the house. When we find a R.A.W. that favors the settlement, we take it. That's the way my group plays.

That means we can choose the gender of our newborns. We do this (a) strategically, to keep the balance appropriate to the threat of death via childbirth for females, and (b) just because some of our players prefer playing male or female characters.

BTW the chance of death from Intimacy is equitable in the Dragon King Campaign, although:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Females have a risk of suffering a Mutilated Genitals. Meaning no more Intimacy and a Scar. And the Scar can be a good thing in Dragon King Campaigns, opening the path to the Witch Constellation and some other Constellation I can't be bothered to look up atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.