$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 97.74

6,236 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Yitzhak Kornbluth
msg tools
One thing I noticed when I played P:L is that we focused somewhat more on some things that didn't affect our final rating, and less on things that had a large effect. So this thread is for players that would like to have a better idea what to focus on, but don't want too many spoilers:

First, the most general form (if you just want a basic idea of what to focus on; this is still not for people who don't want any hints, of course, but much of it might be intuited without spoilers):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Your top priority is any unique objectives (i.e. those that can only be achieved once), as well as avoiding opening box 8 (by losing 4 games in a row). There is also one "hidden" objective, that you might be able to guess later on (it's something you are reasonably likely to want to do anyway).

Your second priority is winning games.

Your third priority is keeping bad things from occurring to cities (e.g. panic), at least as far as it has a game effect.
Anything else (e.g. avoiding scars or even lost characters) is relevant only to the extent that it will help you in future games.

Now for more specifics, and what is worth how much. This will have month-by-month spoilers where necessary:

Minor goal (panic level): Panic increases from 3 to 4 (collapsing) and 4 to 5 (rioting) will cost you 1 point per city. From 1 to 2 (rioting) will cost 3 points per city. (So basically 1 point per panic level, but 1's are considered 0's and 2's are considered 3's.) However, any city is considered fallen for scoring purposes if:

Spoiler: April (legacy card drawn part-way through)
the city is faded

and

Spoiler: Box 7
has not been vaccinated

Medium goal (winning games): Each game you lose will cost you 20 points (as much as 4 cities going from 0 to 5 panic). This has a presumably unintended consequence, discussed (with a potential solution) here.

Major goal (unique objectives):

If you ever lose 4 games in a row and open box 8, you lose 100 points (equivalent to 5 lost games).

Spoiler: July
You will need to average one successful search per month; if you have not done so by the end of the month in which the last search is revealed, you will lose 200 points, i.e. 10 lost games' worth.

Spoiler: December
Each of the two objectives is worth 100 points (5 lost games' worth) each, in addition to their being necessary to win this month.

Spoiler: Hidden objective
Spoiler: Box 6
Destroy all military bases by the end of the campaign for 80 points (4 games' worth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Re: Minimally-spoilerific scoring guide (all spoilers are in tags)
Could you please edit this thread's subject line? Players don't find out there's a scoring mechanism until the end of Season One, so talking about scores at all is a spoiler for the entire game!

As a warning to people tempted to peek: I'd say that even the first spoiler box is a very significant spoiler indeed. I'd have been pretty pissed off if I'd seen it before I completed the game.

Also, for people who want to compare scores, obviously it's not fair to compare the scores of teams who read these spoilers with those of teams that don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yitzhak Kornbluth
msg tools
clivej wrote:
Could you please edit this thread's subject line? Players don't find out there's a scoring mechanism until the end of Season One, so talking about scores at all is a spoiler for the entire game![/quote]

Done. I was under the impression that it was clear earlier on, my apologies.

[quote]As a warning to people tempted to peek: I'd say that even the first spoiler box is a very significant spoiler indeed. I'd have been pretty pissed off if I'd seen it before I completed the game.

Also, for people who want to compare scores, obviously it's not fair to compare the scores of teams who read these spoilers with those of teams that don't.

Clearly...but some people (including myself) prefer to know what to focus on, but don't want full spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.