36.4% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ok, which is better (and why): Scythe, Tyrants of the Underdark, Cry Havoc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games with plastic dudes on a map with cards--Scythe, Tyrants of the Underdark, Cry Havoc--c'mon, they're practically the same. So which is the best?

Poll
Which is the best game?
Scythe
Cry Havoc
Tyrants of the Underdark
      88 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really much similar between them IMO.

Cry Havoc is a short game (4 turns of 2 actions each), mainly focused on combat and area control.

Scythe is much longer, but has engine building, resource management, and some dudes-on-a-map, but it isn't a combat game. Combat is an aspect, so is area control, but there is so much else going on that it isn't much like Cry Havoc.

Tyrants has a terrible board from what I have seen gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've played is Tyrants. It's true that the board isn't the most appealing but it is at least functional. The game itself is very interactive and a lot of fun if you enjoy direct confrontation. The integration between the board and deckbuilding elements is very good. It has run longer than the advertised play time both times I've played, but I enjoyed the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a weekly polling quota you need to meet ?

Scythe wins this one easily, elegant game design, fantastic components, theme in every nook and cranny...
Will be playing Scythe for a long time to come, so when You add the obligatory "which game was better" poll in a couple of years, I'll be voting Scythe again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Cry Havoc has stolen its name from a series of great games from the eighties; and they are still being made. Probably it will never be sold in the main-stream shops in Europe, simply because of trademark violation.

So, any of the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a fair comparison as Scythe isn't a dudes on a map game. It's mostly a euro game and so will also likely win this poll (as the site is more euro-centric I've found).

PS. I voted Scythe as it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:
Cry Havoc has stolen its name from a series of great games from the eighties; and they are still being made. Probably it will never be sold in the main-stream shops in Europe, simply because of trademark violation.

I can name 5 shops near my place that sell Cry Havoc or have it on pre-order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Cry Havoc yet. However I found Tyrants of the Underdark far more interactive and enjoyable than Scythe so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Coopersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Not really a fair comparison as Scythe isn't a dudes on a map game. It's mostly a euro game and so will also likely win this poll (as the site is more euro-centric I've found).

DoaM games and Euro games are not mutually exclusive categories. Scythe qualifies as both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Heath
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should get them all, as all 3 are fantastic games.

If you're a fan of deck building, Tyrants combines Ascension and In the Valley of the Kings with area control. Very fun, looking forward to playing this one some more.

Cry Havoc is an amazing asymmetric war game. Its combat system is absolutely its best feature, giving you interesting, tense decisions each conflict you enter into.

Scythe's mix of engine building and area control with a different experience each time with the combination of objective, race & board making you reevaluate how you play each game. I really like how it's an area control game with combat, but combat is actually a very small portion of the game itself. The collector's edition upgraded pieces are also fantastic.

I voted Scythe, as its the one I've played the most and will likely continue to play the most. But I'll be playing all 3 and am happy to be doing so. This has been a great year for games, and these 3 are huge standout successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
negatrev wrote:

DoaM games and Euro games are not mutually exclusive categories. Scythe qualifies as both.

Except if you play Scythe like a 'dudes on a map' game only; you will lose badly. If you also want a 'dudes on the map' feeling, I really don't get that from Scythe. I feel this is like comparing Carcassonne to Caylus as you place workers in both games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
All your insights and comments have been most helpful, thanks.

Except for this one:
Qalor wrote:
You should get them all, as all 3 are fantastic games.

Uh huh. Are you trying to get me divorced?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They dont look that similar to me. Cry Havoc looks the most interesting to me, my group likes conflict. Scythe i was really looking forward to but as time goes on and i see more and more threads about it, it is becoming less appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Cry Havoc is a short game (4 turns of 2 actions each), mainly focused on combat and area control.

5 rounds, 3 actions each, plus decisions made in combat. Also, some actions can activate large amounts of troops or structures in one action. Your description of 4 turns, 2 actions each, makes it sound like you have a lot less decisions to make than you actually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
avdtweel wrote:

It's a Shakespeare quote, you absolute walnut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have 34 people (at time of this post, 34 votes recorded) actually played all three of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
Scythe, because I don't have the other two and my wife has cut up my credit card.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:
Cry Havoc has stolen its name from a series of great games from the eighties William Shakespeare.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I haven't played any of them, so I will judge them based solely on the titles and the one time I saw some dudes playing Scythe at my FLGS.

Okay, let's start with Scythe. No, no, I hear someone say, it's pronounce sigh, which is exactly what I do when I hear this game discussed. It's like some designers got together and said, "I know, let's totally cheese off all those 'dudes on a map' gamers by making this game look like a cool war game with mechs, but when they actually play it... Whammo! Surprise! It's a euro!"

So that's a hard no for Sigh, if nothing else than for choosing a name with a pretentious pronunciation.

Then there's Tyrants of the Underdark. Underdark means drow, the single most overused, overhyped D&D villain in all of history. They're supposed to be dangerous, right? So then why do they go to pieces in the presence of, get this, sunlight! Oh, they're allergic to sunlight, so they must have cool powers like a vampire right? No way, Jose. If you play them as a player character (and everyone will throw their dice at you if you play a dual-wielding drow ranger) you get... faery fire and dark vision. That's it? That's the badass drow I've been hearing about since queen of the demonweb pits? I nearly soiled my armor I was so scared, and here all I have to do to beat them is bring along a flashlight and we're all good.

So that's another hard no for Tyrants. Stupid drow.

Finally, there's Cry Havoc. No man should be playing a game with the word 'cry' in it. Another pass.

Don't play any of these games, Skutsch. They all suck, as you can see from my painstakingly researched reply.

Hope that was helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carterbeatsthedevil wrote:
I haven't played any of them, so I will judge them based solely on the titles and the one time I saw some dudes playing Scythe at my FLGS.

Okay, let's start with Scythe. No, no, I hear someone say, it's pronounce sigh, which is exactly what I do when I hear this game discussed. It's like some designers got together and said, "I know, let's totally cheese off all those 'dudes on a map' gamers by making this game look like a cool war game with mechs, but when they actually play it... Whammo! Surprise! It's a euro!"

So that's a hard no for Sigh, if nothing else than for choosing a name with a pretentious pronunciation.

Then there's Tyrants of the Underdark. Underdark means drow, the single most overused, overhyped D&D villain in all of history. They're supposed to be dangerous, right? So then why do they go to pieces in the presence of, get this, sunlight! Oh, they're allergic to sunlight, so they must have cool powers like a vampire right? No way, Jose. If you play them as a player character (and everyone will throw their dice at you if you play a dual-wielding drow ranger) you get... faery fire and dark vision. That's it? That's the badass drow I've been hearing about since queen of the demonweb pits? I nearly soiled my armor I was so scared, and here all I have to do to beat them is bring along a flashlight and we're all good.

So that's another hard no for Tyrants. Stupid drow.

Finally, there's Cry Havoc. No man should be playing a game with the word 'cry' in it. Another pass.

Don't play any of these games, Skutch. They all suck, as you can see from my painstakingly researched reply.

Hope that was helpful.

I was totally with you until you misspelled my name. That completely invalidates your whole argument. Also, real drow aren't helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
avdtweel wrote:

It's a Shakespeare quote, you absolute walnut.

No, it's part of a Shakespeare quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
skutsch wrote:

I was totally with you until you misspelled my name. That completely invalidates your whole argument. Also, real drow aren't helpful.

For my error, I will now cut off one joint from my pinky finger.

...Damn, it's much harder to type, now.

How do you get blood out of a keyboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't even click in here - I've no use for your polls generally - but the title of this one has me laughing in disbelief.

Is the whole idea to encourage uninformed opinions? Cry Havoc is still in pre-order at CSI and elsewhere. There are a grand total of 6 people on BGG who have recorded more than 2 plays (it tops out at 4), and that includes the designer and the 'Watch It Played' guy who did a video with a pre-release copy for the project.

Scythe isn't much different. But hey, Cult of the New needs trend setters and devil take the hindmost. Carry on, Trendsetter!

Sincerely,
Sphere (Hindmost of the Hindmost)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I shouldn't even click in here - I've no use for your polls generally - but the title of this one has me laughing in disbelief.

Is the whole idea to encourage uninformed opinions? Cry Havoc is still in pre-order at CSI and elsewhere. There are a grand total of 6 people on BGG who have recorded more than 2 plays (it tops out at 4), and that includes the designer and the 'Watch It Played' guy who did a video with a pre-release copy for the project.

Scythe isn't much different. But hey, Cult of the New needs trend setters and devil take the hindmost. Carry on, Trendsetter!

Sincerely,

So you're saying I should get Tyrants of the Underdark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Sincerely,

So you're saying I should get Tyrants of the Underdark?

I'm saying I don't know squat about that one; it's hard keeping track when you're amongst the hindmost.

(I confess I've played Scythe once, which I suspect would put me above the median if I were to cast a vote in your poll.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.