Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Which game has the better group of survivors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
For those who have played both the original base game and this new stand alone, which game would you say has the better (more fun to play with) group of survivors?

I dont want to combine both because i find it can really dilute the chances of crossroad cards taking effect (if so and so is at this location, if so and so is in the game)

I'm not certain if i should buy the new stand alone and sell my base game, but if the new group of survivors is a huge improvement over the original, then i am more likely to upgrade to the new one and sell my old copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
For those who have played both the original base game and this new stand alone, which game would you say has the better (more fun to play with) group of survivors?

I dont want to combine both because i find it can really dilute the chances of crossroad cards taking effect (if so and so is at this location, if so and so is in the game)

I'm not certain if i should buy the new stand alone and sell my base game, but if the new group of survivors is a huge improvement over the original, then i am more likely to upgrade to the new one and sell my old copy

IMO, the new survivors are as fun, but suited to their set. I have both. If I had to choose...probably original. I'd miss Sparky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you sell your old copy, there is a mini expansion coming that is rumored to pit the colony from each bix against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think it's much more fun to have both groups. Some of the pairings across the two groups are fun. Had someone play both Blue and Sparky once. The Animal Team.

But I'm fine with getting less of the personalized Crossroads cards because they get more special that way. IMO having about one Crossroads per full round (in 5 players game) is a good ratio, I like the game being mostly predictable based on what's on the board and just getting a few random Crossroads events a game. Makes each of them feel more impactful.

If I had to choose I'd pick TLN group but that's only because I played the other one so much and I want variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got my copy and went through the new survivors, I felt they would all be over powered and therefore better than the original. Some get free kills. One places explosive traps. One can prevent morale. One can move around ignoring most wounds. These all seemed a bit too good.

But having played a couple times (only) in some ways the base survivors are a bit more general and therefore more useful. Moving without rolling for exposure is better than moving and rolling but ignoring most wounds. All the characters in the base set who can do double searches are great. In the new set, the monkey Blue is the only "searcher" and it only applies to Raxxon which you may not always play with. So its more situational. Same with the girl who gets free improvement advancements.

Also, the balance for the new survivors seems pretty good for the powers they have. The guy who can prevent morale loss once per round is 50/50 and may not always trigger. It may never trigger or even be needed depending on the game. Other characters have certain weak stats which means if you want the special ability, you may end up only using him/her for that ability and not much else. And some of the new characters seem overly specific. Like the guy who can waste food to get people guns.

So honestly, my vote right NOW is going toward the original survivors being better/more fun overall. But I really like the new batch and think the two will work really well together if you mix them. It feels like PHG worked hard to make sure the new characters were unique and good in their own right, but didn't overshadow the originals either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Wow, tough choices there

I really like the shock and stories from the crossroads cards and would really miss their effects if they came out less due to the mixing of the characters

I have also considered removing those that are character specific but I think that would be a lot of cards removed

Gonna have to sleep on this for awhile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people only add the character specific cross-road cards to the deck as survivors are added to players groups. This way you never have to wade through turns of crossroads for characters that will not trigger, but you still will see the non-character triggers too.

Anyway, the main difference in my opinion is that the original crew are better with location specific search abilities, but those characters, while very good, promote location camping. So it really depends on what kind of gameplay you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
soakman wrote:
A lot of people only add the character specific cross-road cards to the deck as survivors are added to players groups. This way you never have to wade through turns of crossroads for characters that will not trigger, but you still will see the non-character triggers too.

Anyway, the main difference in my opinion is that the original crew are better with location specific search abilities, but those characters, while very good, promote location camping. So it really depends on what kind of gameplay you like.

I'm definitely not for adding he cards to the deck based on survivor count
That's super fiddly and requires a long setup and tear down time
Also, this may mean that every round there is a cross road card in play
The original deck had moments where the character in question is not in play so it will never trigger

The location camping is true, thanks for the new perspective on how the group of survivors vary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
soakman wrote:

I'm definitely not for adding he cards to the deck based on survivor count
That's super fiddly and requires a long setup and tear down time
Also, this may mean that every round there is a cross road card in play
The original deck had moments where the character in question is not in play so it will never trigger

The location camping is true, thanks for the new perspective on how the group of survivors vary

There aren't really as many that trigger as you would think though as some of them have specific requirements. The trigger isn't just "X is in play" though I think there are more of these with the new survivors. A lot of the old survivors went as far as "If X is in play and attacks a Zombie" or "If X is in play and is at the colony" etc. And you would still have the non-character crossroads in the deck.

It is fiddly-ish, but if you keep the character cards separate and alphabtized by survivor name, going through them and pulling the one for the character that JUST got added isn't too much additional work. Then you just briefly shuffle it into the crossroad deck.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it is a potential solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another thing the app could help with. What if you could tell it at the beginning of the game which survivors are in play? And then have a button to "Add New Survivor" whenever someone gets a new one. It could tell you who you get, plus it would add their Crossroads card to the randomizer at that moment.

It could easily maintain the "proper" ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.